Log splitter control valve question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamedic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a log splitter control valve that will retract on it's on with no action required except to let go of the handle. In other words I want to move the handle to extend the cylinder, but if I let go of the handle the cylinder automatically retracts. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.

Bump, that reverse action must also stop when the cylinder retracts al the way also. Im sure you'll be getting your answer soon. I personally like mine to stop when released for shorter lengths to reduce the cycle time I keep it out and only will auto return upon hitting the detent

With an open system I don't think what you want to do is possible. I believe you will have to pull/push lever reverse and it will stop when it get's to the end (detent) like the one linked above. I'm no expert but I've never seen what you are looking for.

i had an old in the tank valve that did this. it was a heavy, homemade handle on it that sat perfectly vertical in neutral position. the force from the release would cause it to overcenter and go to return stroke where the detent would hold it til full return was reached. i dont believe it was ment to act this way but it did so very well. it was very light springed so that would help also. if things went perfect it would actually auto cycle sometimes going full forward and the weight of the handle holding it there. another way to do it would be similar to the valve i had where the weight of the handle would carry the momentum into the return position. playing with added weights and maybe lighter return springs could have the desired effect. i have thought many times about using a spring to "assist" in the return application like the powersplit vertical splitters have for a valve (see pic below). these splitters use a foot pedal to power down and auto return when let off by a large spring and linkage. when the cylinder returns close to the top it hits the linkage causing the valve to go to center. one final way would be a single acting cylinder with a built in return spring but i see temperature and oil thickness causing problems with stroke time

1-2.jpg

You need a spring pulling the valve handle back to the return position all the time (pull to overcome this spring to make ram extend)
and a pivoting linkage so that when the ram returns all the way the linkage pushes the valve handle to the centre. You can use a regular control valve.

You need a spring pulling the valve handle back to the return position all the time (pull to overcome this spring to make ram extend)
and a pivoting linkage so that when the ram returns all the way the linkage pushes the valve handle to the centre. You can use a regular control valve.
This right here, I am going to do this one of these days on my splitter.

I am looking for a log splitter control valve that will retract on it's on with no action required except to let go of the handle. In other words I want to move the handle to extend the cylinder, but if I let go of the handle the cylinder automatically retracts. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.

That's kind of how a Super Split kinetic flywheel splitter works.

You need two valves mounted side by side, plumbed in sequence, with the detents facing opposite directions. Both handles forward and the splitter extends. When it makes relief pressure at the end of the stroke the first valve returns to neutral. When in neutral the oil flows to the second valve which returns the rod until it reaches the end and hits the relief, which places that valve in neutral. Repeat.

what youre describing is more like an auto cycle valve that prince makes. i believe the OP is talking more like the vertical powersplit where the lever is released and it instantly returns. most small electric splitters operate like this too

its a standard valve, spring center both ways. the linkage and spring is what makes it auto return

You need two valves mounted side by side, plumbed in sequence, with the detents facing opposite directions. Both handles forward and the splitter extends. When it makes relief pressure at the end of the stroke the first valve returns to neutral. When in neutral the oil flows to the second valve which returns the rod until it reaches the end and hits the relief, which places that valve in neutral. Repeat.
Do you have Prince part number that would work? Want to push both levers and go for another log.

Attachments

• 20181206_175009.jpg
    20181206_175009.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back