Log splitter cylinder size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking about replacing my current cylinder due to some small leaks and I really don't want to rebuild. Can someone explain to me some terminolgy. What is the Bore? Shaft diameter I understand, and stroke too. My setup includes a 16GPM pump with a 9 horse engine. What would be the best replacement cylinder for me. Also welded vs. tie rod - which is better? Thanks.

Millman:cheers:

Bore is the inside diameter of the cylinder.

With a 9hp/16gpm setup, you would be able to get quick cycle times with a 4" cylinder or comfortable cycle times with a 4.5" cylinder. You could theoretically run ANY cylinder you wanted - 5", 10", whatever - but cycle time would continue to decrease to the point of uselessness.

Wedge design would make a difference, too. Skinny, on-beam wedges can generally get by with less tonnage than a larger, triangular wedge. Whether this makes any real difference to your choice of cylinder, well, I don't know. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

On the tie rod versus welded, I would go with whatever you have already. The overall length (retracted and extended ) of a tierod cylinder will generally be longer than a welded one of similar stroke, so if you had a welded one to begin with and went to a tierod cylinder, your wedge and pushblock might contact one another at full cylinder extension.

My personal preference would be for a 4" cylinder in the interest of fast cycle times, but your past experience would be the best guide of whether you need speed or tonnage.

Last edited:
I agree with Treeco. I would shy away from upsizing the cylinder unless you are prepared to beef up the structure and willing to give up some cycle time.

Thanks

Thanks guys. The splitter frame is pretty beefey. I'm probably go with the 4.5 welded. I think I have a 5" on there now, but will measure to be sure.

Greg

Why???

Well first, the port on the back end has been welded at least twice to fix leaks. 2nd, I dont know what brand it is and 3rd the darn thing is so stinking big, cycle time is to slow for me. Besides, the paint is chipped! :biggrinbounce2:

Millman

Well first, the port on the back end has been welded at least twice to fix leaks. 2nd, I dont know what brand it is and 3rd the darn thing is so stinking big, cycle time is to slow for me. Besides, the paint is chipped! :biggrinbounce2:

Millman

oh....well, if the paint is chipped...get rid of it.....pronto!!

i don't blame ya.

cyl replacment.

oh....well, if the paint is chipped...get rid of it.....pronto!!

i don't blame ya.
Like you read eariler,., If you install a cyl tyat has a longer extended, length than the orignal, you might cause a crash, tie rod cyl are the cheepest and most available,.at the local farm stores, If you want the best go with the welded,.

rebuild,.

Like you read eariler,., If you install a cyl tyat has a longer extended, length than the orignal, you might cause a crash, tie rod cyl are the cheepest and most available,.at the local farm stores, If you want the best go with the welded,.

Id rebuild if its cost effective,..get a firm quote, Or replace the seals yourself, GOT A BUDDY,????

Last edited:
Check with a hydraulic shop. It may be cheaper to fix what you have. The outer dimensions of your current cylinder may determine what will fit as a replacement. I have a shop built splitter that I would like to go from 4" to 4 1/2" bore on and I don't think that I have the clearance. An older well made cylinder is better than many of the made in china replacements.

Here is a cylinder listed on E-bay .Ends tomorrow

HYDRAULIC CYLINDER, USA SURPLUS, 4" X 24"
GREAT REPLACEMENT CYLINDER FOR LOG SPLITTERS Item number: 230210666715

At the moment it is going for $77 & shipping .When the listing started a couple weeks ago he had 20. So if this listing is missed, it will probably be listed again.
Incredible bargain, if new.

$127.50

Looks like he would sell them for 127.50. about $45 shipping to my house. Looking good.:spam:

Latest posts

Back