Log splitter got s tolen.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
A friend I had loaned my log splitter to called today and asked if by some chance I had come and gotten it without informing him. Ummm, no.... He then proceeds to inform me that someone had stolen it. It was chained and locked behind his garage (at a building site) and was not visible from the road. The chain had been cut and the thing is gone. He was mortified (as was I) This young couple has been clearing property to build their first home and he sure can't afford to replace a $1500 splitter. I don't even think he had the chance to use it yet. This splitter is very unique in that the whole 5" cylinder moves while the shaft remains stationary. The cylinder travel is about 36" and it has a 10 hp older Tecumseh side shaft engine driving a red Cessna hydraulic pump through a flexible coupler. Painted aluminum/silver, engine is white. the unit is built on a long I beam and it has a 10" tall wedge made of splitting wedges with wings. The axle is off of a model A and is running 15" 5 lug Ford truck tires. Wish I had photos of it:msp_wub:There isn't any other one like it and it is an amazing toy.

If anyone sees this splitter (probably on its way to China as scrap metal) let me know please. Missing from South Atlanta area. (Georgia)

I am really wrestling with what to do about this and my wife and I have discussed it some and think that we will tell them to just forget about it. It won't financially ruin me and I split a lot of wood by hand anyway. I am still angry at the low down slimeball that took this thing and take solace in the fact that someday they will have to answer to God for their actions. Hmmm, now that I think about that, I guess we all will. Anyway, sorry about the vent.

Sorry to hear that. I agree they and we will be held accountable. Really hope it finds its way back to you though.

Feel free to vent. I sort of know how you feel, but Imagine someone breaking into your house, ransacking the place, and stealing all sorts of stuff. It wasn't so bad that they took wheels, tires and battery from my truck outside, but when they broke in, it got personal.:msp_angry:

Sorry for your loss, I photograph everything I buy. File a police report and I would stick an ad on CL looking for a splitter with at least a 10 hp engine and see if the thief bites.

That sucks my brother in laws got stolen too about 5 years ago and about two years ago i had one i was gonna sell to my friend for seven hundred bucks and he said just let me buy half of it for 350 i said ok now he thinks he bought it from me go figure

Part of the problem is that I am about 5 states away from home right now and can't scope the scene out. I need to talk to the guy to see if he knows when it disappeared. If it was recently, the recovery chances are higher. If it was weeks, not so high. He has had it for a while waiting for an opportunity to use it. I at least hope it doesn't wind up in the scrap yard as that would be a shame. I would rather have a thief utilize it than throw it away. Not so sure those type are hard workers though. I bet it would really hurt if someone got their arm caught between the wedge and the push plate...

I feel for you man. I bet it would really hurt if someone got their arm caught between the wedge and the push plate... I hope it happens, sweet revenge.

Talked to the guy that had the splitter and they think it got gone within the past 24 hours. The police have been notified and also discovered that there are some photos that he will send me that were taken when his grandpa used it a couple years ago. If I get them I'll post a pic. One note of irony, the guy I loaned the splitter to works at the jail. Now wouldn't that be special? To have an opportunity to "discuss" the issue with the crook if he's caught?

I'm starting to feel like Job.

Well, while I was whining about my missing splitter, a tornado apparently went though the neighborhood. Not sure if it touched down but phoned one neighbor (about a mile away) and she said there were a number of roads blocked by broken trees but she didn't know of any personal injuries. My son is about 35 miles away so is safe and will get home later tonight. The answer machine is working so we know that a. the house is there. and b. the power is on. (unlike the neighbor's) in light of that, a splitter is small potatoes.

I guess for $500 I could buy one of those Husqvarna 346XP's and I hear they will cut, split and stack the wood all by themselves.

We are out of power here now. Lots of limbs and some trees down. If you need an engine to build another splitter, I have one here, and access to several more. Say the word and it is yours.

We are out of power here now. Lots of limbs and some trees down. If you need an engine to build another splitter, I have one here, and access to several more. Say the word and it is yours.

Thanks for that generous offer. I am not sure where I'll go from here. I did post a wanted ad on the ATL CL hoping maybe someone will try to sell me mine. And I may locate a suitable replacement...

Man that sucks! Instead of an arm or hand in the wedge I was thinking the hangy down thing and his twins!

Vent away Sir, you're entitled. Thieves suck.

I will place an ad down here on CL for a LS wanted, I suggest you canvas the entire states of GA, AL, FL, SC, NC, TN, and KY, with your wanted ad, it might take some time, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cut and paste the same ad until they snag you for over posting, then change the add a wee bit.

Or make three ads, and cut and paste them in different listings three at a time when you sit down in front of the computer.

My son was off school today since there were so many roads blocked by broken trees and the school's power was out as well. So he loaded up the truck with saws and hooked up the dump trailer, grabbed a handful of business cards and headed out. He cleared one drive and then was hired by another family to clear a drive and remove some large downed pines. He brought home two trailer loads of wood and brush but it was all pine that will get piled and burned. He said there are some huge oaks down too. I will try to scrounge up some more jobs when I get back to Georgia on Thursday.

He quit at dark and was completely bushed. I was proud of him for doing this as a high school senior instead of staying home and playing computer games on his free day off.

He said suddenly "everyone is a tree service" and there were dozens of pickup trucks with two guys and a chainsaw roaming around. We have a business license as a tree service but I really don't mind if other guys are out earning a buck by doing some hard work. At least they aren't out stealing stuff.

It was a confirmed tornado that came through EF-2. He saw a myriad of downed trees and wasn't even in the area of the tornado's path.

My son was off school today since there were so many roads blocked by broken trees and the school's power was out as well. So he loaded up the truck with saws and hooked up the dump trailer, grabbed a handful of business cards and headed out. He cleared one drive and then was hired by another family to clear a drive and remove some large downed pines. He brought home two trailer loads of wood and brush but it was all pine that will get piled and burned. He said there are some huge oaks down too. I will try to scrounge up some more jobs when I get back to Georgia on Thursday.

He quit at dark and was completely bushed. I was proud of him for doing this as a high school senior instead of staying home and playing computer games on his free day off.

He said suddenly "everyone is a tree service" and there were dozens of pickup trucks with two guys and a chainsaw roaming around. We have a business license as a tree service but I really don't mind if other guys are out earning a buck by doing some hard work. At least they aren't out stealing stuff.

It was a confirmed tornado that came through EF-2. He saw a myriad of downed trees and wasn't even in the area of the tornado's path.

You brought him up right! :clap::clap:

Glad to hear you guys are okay!

Latest posts

Back