Log splitter got s tolen.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill keep an eye out up here on CL for your rig, unique looking enough to see clearly.

We missed the real big winds yesterday, which is weird, usually we get nailed.

I am not complaining at all. Glad you guys are OK.

Georgia is sure exciting sometimes...

Bad luck

A friend I had loaned my log splitter to called today and asked if by some chance I had come and gotten it without informing him. Ummm, no.... He then proceeds to inform me that someone had stolen it. It was chained and locked behind his garage (at a building site) and was not visible from the road. The chain had been cut and the thing is gone. He was mortified (as was I) This young couple has been clearing property to build their first home and he sure can't afford to replace a $1500 splitter. I don't even think he had the chance to use it yet. This splitter is very unique in that the whole 5" cylinder moves while the shaft remains stationary. The cylinder travel is about 36" and it has a 10 hp older Tecumseh side shaft engine driving a red Cessna hydraulic pump through a flexible coupler. Painted aluminum/silver, engine is white. the unit is built on a long I beam and it has a 10" tall wedge made of splitting wedges with wings. The axle is off of a model A and is running 15" 5 lug Ford truck tires. Wish I had photos of it:msp_wub:There isn't any other one like it and it is an amazing toy

If anyone sees this splitter (probably on its way to China as scrap metal) let me know please. Missing from South Atlanta area. (Georgia)

I am really wrestling with what to do about this and my wife and I have discussed it some and think that we will tell them to just forget about it. It won't financially ruin me and I split a lot of wood by hand anyway. I am still angry at the low down slimeball that took this thing and take solace in the fact that someday they will have to answer to God for their actions. Hmmm, now that I think about that, I guess we all will. Anyway, sorry about the vent.
I live in UPSTATE SC (GVLLE,SPBURG) and watch CL and IWANNA ,local sales circular. If anything shows up around here I will let you know .
I will pm you

Have you considered filing an insurance claim?

If it's primarily used for personal use, it would likely be covered by homeowners insurance regardless of location it was stolen from. If used from your tree business, it should be covered also. Yea, there is a deductible but your rates won't necessarily go up.
In your search, I would try search tempest that will search all CL within a radius you determine, 200mile, 500 mile... My 1st post at this sight, finally felt I had something to say. Hope I posted correctly.

Gonna keep my eyes on Craigslist up this way. Unfortunately stolen goods do sometimes travel. Last year I lost 2 mowers, 2 weed eaters and a blower. Perhaps all the southern guys here can take a look at the pictures and keep their eyes open on Craigslist and other places to see if we can spot the splitter. Glad you and the family are OK

Got looking through a Northern Tool catalog to see what the components would run to build another splitter with the capability of the one that went missing. That was depressing, probably in the $2500 range by the time everything gets added up. Maybe I'll start scrounging components and in a year or so will have a big enough pile to put something together. I have a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel, maybe power it with that, lol.

don't forget the grapple on the crane..
and the conveyor loader for the splittter

why split wood when you could drink beer and play with a big arm-a-tron :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back