Log splitter help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backdoormudder

Reaction score
Hi all got a log splitter problem here.
I bought a used log splitter from Home Depot for cheap and I can not get it to work right.

http://www.embmfg.com/Forestry/Splitters/WX500-Models.aspx

It's one of the bottom two, here is the problem.

The PO messed with the valve and the pump.
I have changed the valve and got a warranty pump from the EMB.

It just does not have enough power to split.

When in reverse the gauge will build up to 3500-4000psi on the pump output and the motor will bog down when it comes all the way back, But on the forward stroke against a log or just at the end of the cylinders travel it will max out at 400psi, Should it not be like 4000psi. I can not figure it out. Are the cylinder seals shot is that possible being it is only 2 years old?
Thanx YA'ALL
JOEL

Can you post some pics. of yours & how it's plumbed up? They're pretty simple, pump sucks oil from the tank, sends it to the valve where it just flows through and back to the tank untill you move the lever to send it to one end of the ram or the other. Somethings gotta be plumbed wrong there.

Thats what I thought too. I work at Home Depot and compared the pluming to our rental splitter and the new ones it seems to be the same.
But will post some pic's just the same.
I am starting to feel stupid or something.
Joel

Ditto - sounds like plumbing. Does the valve have a detent (locks into place) during the forward stroke or the return stroke? The reason I ask, is even if it is plumbed backwards the ram will move the opposite direction intended, but if the valve is reversed, the detent would be on the forward stroke. If this is the case as the pump created pressure to split wood, when it got to its 400-600 pound detent release pressure, it would "pop" out.

Latest posts

Back