log splitter problem, help please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Good Wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
bought a logs splitter from a guy 6 way log lift 13hp honda. Tested a couple big rounds before money was paid, worked fine. Got home hydraulic oil low, topped it off, added a return line filter rated 25 gpm, pump is a 16 gpm. Go to run it and wont split, ram moved but won't even push round a little ways into wedge. Ok take to local hydro shop and they sd since the motor was not bogging that the pump is bad, replace with new 16 gmp pump, same thing wont split. Bled the hyro system and worked a few round and nothing. Sat over night, worked a few rounds and nothing, bled again, worked a bit than nothing. turned the pressure relief to the max, nothing (keepin mined you can hear the motor strain so pump is working) no leaks except for a super tiny drip in bottom of taking, like a ounce or two every 6 hrs. (my other splitter has a tiny leak at the valve and works fine) Local shop sd cylinder is a 40 ton cylinder and valves seemed to be in working order. Should be more than enough for a 6 way splitter. I even cut two of the side wings off of wedge now only a 4 way and still won't split a 24" oak round. Guy that we bought it from sd he has split round of oak as big as 36".

Help please, don't know what the heck to do.

Last edited:
Pressurized oil is bypassing somewhere between the pump and the back of the cylinder, so in my opinion you either have a leak in the valve block or in the cylinder itself...
Can you take the cylinder apart to have a look at the seals? or better yet get a pressure gage and fit it just before the cylinder to see if the pressurized oil is getting that far...

And please post up a pic or two to we can see how it is built...

Pressurized oil is bypassing somewhere between the pump and the back of the cylinder, so in my opinion you either have a leak in the valve block or in the cylinder itself...
Can you take the cylinder apart to have a look at the seals? or better yet get a pressure gage and fit it just before the cylinder to see if the pressurized oil is getting that far...

And please post up a pic or two to we can see how it is built...

Thats the only to possibilities that i could think of will have to work on it next week and get some pics. But why would it for a bit and then nothing? I even took the return filter off and same thing.

Likely an internal leak past the seal in the cylinder. Dead head the ram cylinder, shut off engine remove line from return port on valve point it into big bucket fire eng. back up engage valve to move ram forward if you start to get a stream of hyd.oil in the bucket , seal is shot in cylinder. Likely then it is the valve. Cylinder can be rebuilt in most cases for about 1/2 cost of new. Valve is better to just replace although most also can be rebuilt but generaly the cost of a shop doing the work on the valve is more than a new one. Depends on the valve though as you said it has a lift so that is 2 valves but might be only one housing.

bought a logs splitter from a guy 6 way log lift 13hp honda. Tested a couple big rounds before money was paid, worked fine. Got home hydraulic oil low, topped it off, added a return line filter rated 25 gpm, pump is a 16 gpm. Go to run it and wont split, ram moved but won't even push round a little ways into wedge. Ok take to local hydro shop and they sd since the motor was not bogging that the pump is bad, replace with new 16 gmp pump, same thing wont split. Bled the hyro system and worked a few round and nothing. Sat over night, worked a few rounds and nothing, bled again, worked a bit than nothing. turned the pressure relief to the max, nothing (keepin mined you can hear the motor strain so pump is working) no leaks except for a super tiny drip in bottom of taking, like a ounce or two every 6 hrs. (my other splitter has a tiny leak at the valve and works fine) Local shop sd cylinder is a 40 ton cylinder and valves seemed to be in working order. Should be more than enough for a 6 way splitter. I even cut two of the side wings off of wedge now only a 4 way and still won't split a 24" oak round. Guy that we bought it from sd he has split round of oak as big as 36".

Help please, don't know what the heck to do.

there's your answer.

it's in the cylinder. they're easy to repair. i'm surprised the hydraulic shop you went to didn't see that. i guess selling a pump was more important.

there's your answer.

it's in the cylinder. they're easy to repair. i'm surprised the hydraulic shop you went to didn't see that. i guess selling a pump was more important.

That sucks too but good point, too bad the sale of the pump had to come before fixing the problem:msp_wink:

do you have a pressure gauge? Did you adjust the pressure relief valve? If the pressure relief valve is bad it will bypass pressure back to the return tank.

pressure gauge.

everything is speculation until there is some data for work with. The shop should have done that first. then a simple flowmeter and pressure load test. Like others have said, they were sloppy and selling a pump was a probable solution and certain profit. And, in fairness to the shop, they would have a half hour or more into the flow and pressure test, so the gamble on selling you a pump was better on their part. but now that it isn't the pump (although new does not equal guaranteed good), basic testing is in order.

k

Last edited:
Back