Log splitter purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to buy a "Timberwolf" with a honda 5.5 engine and 20 ton ram. Anyone have one or what do you guys like in log splitters out on the market?

Hey partner, I'm no expert, infact I just bought my first used splitter and got it running, but I can offer you a little insight, and there are tons of other threads here with valuable info. This is gonna be a condensed version of a bunch of threads I've read.
#1. I have used several splitters, and they all worked well. I preferre to have the control valve handle, on the opposite side(across) from the engine.
#2. I thought I wanted one that was low to the ground to help ease the lifting process, but I hear that is worse on the back, as is working vertically.
#3 No matter what brand you buy, it is gonna work pretty well, so look for the creature comforts I mentioned, and trol the treads for more info, know what you
want, and then get it.
#4 Get it in Delaware, and save on taxxes! If you can't do that, then make sure to get a 10% coupon no matter where you go. Pretty much all the big stores have them, and some places give discounts if you sign up for their credit card.
#5 If you want a used one, prepare to look for a while. I found one via a radio swap meet,with a blown engine and fixxed it. I see them on Ebay, but most are far away, and over priced.
Good luck partnr.

jerseydevil - thanks for the good info! I don't understand your thinking on #1. Can you please explain?

Sure, The first part means, that with all three splitters I've used, they all worked well and never had a piece of wood that couldn't be split. I wasn't working on anything to big though. So, in short, pretty much all of the 20+ ton splitters will do the job. As long as it is a name brand.
As for the control valve, I've seen them mounted on the same side as the engine, and I don't like that. It could mean you are working closer to the fumes and heat of the exhuast. That is not always the case though, I guess it depends on how the manufacture sets it up.
There is a lot more to consider before purchase. One thing that comes to mind is, can a fourway wedge be installed? I'd like to get oe on mine, but can't seem to find one. There are several wedge types, and mine is funky. I will keep looking though.
Enter log splitter in the forum search, and you'll get plenty of threads to read.

Timberwolf seems like a good brand. Personally, I bought a Huskee 35 ton from Tractor Supply. This puppy will split/crush anything. For $1,500 it is a hell of a machine and has a 2-year warranty.

12-18-40", are you talking length or diameter? I called TSC today and they have the three Huskie models in stock. The 22 ton comes with a Honda 5.5 engine, but will consider the larger model.

I've never run a Timberwolf, but coincidentally, i looked at them today at an open house at a tractor dealer. They look very well made, and have grease fittings everwhere.

A few years ago, i bought a Yard Machines brand 27 ton (so they claim) with a 5.5 Honda. It was during a 10% off sale (at the orange store).... i paid in the neighborhood of $1200 for it. About half the price of the cheapest Timberwolf i looked at today. No.... i'm not claiming the quality is even close. However... i have been VERY impressed with my splitter. It has performed flawlessly for me, and i split some decent sized wood. I've posted a couple of these pics before, but here it is again in action. My FIL sets the chunks on the splitter with his bobcat, as they are too much for me to lift... and i prefer to split horizontally, as it is more comfortable. My stove takes 16s... so that is how thick the chunk of elm is. Elm is generally not alot of fun to split.... stringy and gnarly. I would never want to split these pieces by hand.

I second jerseydevil..... look around and find one that is comfortable for you to operate. I split some wood for a neighbor on his splitter, which was maybe 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Running it for an afternoon aged me ten years from being hunched over ! I ended up setting it up on cement blocks to make it reasonably comfortable to operate. Don't buy something like that !

I like Honda small engines.... they have a great reputation for reliability! A Honda is what i recommend on whatever splitter you purchase.

You guys are giving some good info and I thank you! I also am looking into a "Brave" log splitter. They make a 26 ton that comes with a Honda 8 horse, GX240 commercial engine. Im definitely going with a Honda engine no matter what I get. Going to make some calls on Monday to see if the Brave splitter is available close to me. ;)

Latest posts

Back