Log Splitter Seal question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondaracer2oo4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old Sears Log splitter. It has what I believe is a Barnes 200030 pump on it. The spool valve doesnt have a return detent so I have a bungie cord wrapped around it and I pull the bungie cord up to retract it while I am getting the next log. I know this isnt ideal but it has worked well for a long time. Well today the seal blew out on the the input shaft side of the pump so now when the ram fully extends or retracts it blows hydro oil out. Probably from the fact of running through the bypass alot because of the bungie cord. So anyways I am going to get a real spool valve with a detent but I was wondering if anyone knew where or how to source a pump seal for the pump. I can not seem to find any info googling the manf. and model. Thanks.

Look your whole pump over very well before replacing the seal. There is often an underlying problem other than bypassing a lot, like bearings, the seal surface on the shaft, out of balance or drive alignment. On a lot of the equipment I've been around, the failure rate after an initial repair is pretty high, although this is industrial equipment. Unless everything looks absolutely perfect, you're maybe better off just replacing the whole pump.

On the other hand, a seal is pretty cheap, and it really can't hurt to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back