Log values question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.Co181Inf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know nothing about how much X log is worth to sell to either of the 2 guys that want to buy logs off me from my small tree service . I know the species helps, but for 1 example, I have a 36" Walnut , he wants 9' logs, BUT there is some twist in the bark, not severe, but definitely there. I'll try to attach a picture of the tree I'll be taking down , it's big. The guy in the picture is 6'3", 180, if that helps with scale abd 36"DBH. Either way , I'd love to have a guide of some sort tof know a faor price to charge for say an Oak log, or Maple , etc... they both make excellent furniture and mostly deal with hardwoods.

Attachments

• 20161007_192148.jpeg
    20161007_192148.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 42
  • 20161007_192229.jpeg
    20161007_192229.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20161007_192215.jpeg
    20161007_192215.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 42
You are in the tree business, Do you think it is sound throughout, no rot inside? Do you think the pith is in the center of the round or way over to one side? The ideal tree or more ideal grows in a forest yard trees are like pasture trees in some ways.

If you put a more specific location in your profile maybe you could get a better answer. It looks larger than walnut I have seen on log trucks but somehow doesn't seem as straight or uniform. Assuming the logger isn't cheating the property owner $1300 or so a log truck (tri axle with picker) is the land owner's take supposedly half. Not sure whether the trucking comes off the top or who's share. That is for oak too good for firewood.

Oh man, that video is great I did several walnut trees for a guy years ago and he thought like her, he ended up paying me. As far as this tree goes....yes, the HO was thinking they could make money on it, I told them no way, what little I can get for a couple of logs will not offset the cost of removal It's a huge tree. I'm already giving them a Veterans discount, but I fear they think I'm going to turn around and make thousands off the logs, I'm lucky I still have one guy slightly interested because of the twist in it. I'm more thinking of future logs for the 2 mill guys I have to sell to, they've offered to buy hardwood logs off me, anything over 24", but I don't know what I should get. I can figure it's firewood value, but selling the logs is a hell of a lot less work. They also have a decent sized Maple they want down too. If anyone cam give me a lead as to where I might find a guide to log values. etc... thanks This Walnut appears very sound and healthy, they just fear it's lean and size, and they hate the walnuts, I told them to leave it, but if they insist, I hope to get the job.

Back