Logging Above The Fog.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Summertime and the fog hangs low in the inlets along the coast.
Up above the fog it can be sunny and hot and nowadays that's where a lot of the timber is.
Here's a grapple yarder somewhere up around Holberg I suspect.
Looks like they've got a few pieces to pull yet too. :msp_biggrin:

Take care.

969141_10153004034150370_1343681750_n.jpg

The nice thing about working in the Coast Range of Oregon is that you may be in the heat during the day, but you can return to the "natural airconditioning" after work, if you live near the ocean.

Nice country there. Is the wood swung with a shovel to a deck where the grapple harder can reach?

Not quite.
The grapple yarder will usually windrow the logs as it moves along coordinating with the backspar. Note logs alongside road.
Once it's out of the way then either a self-loading truck or a regular truck with a separate loader will move in and start loading out.
Here's a pic showing how the logs are left by the yarder and how easy it is for the loader to move along and pick up the logs.

Take care.

1000083_10153004020290370_1713058506_n.jpg

The nice thing about working in the Coast Range of Oregon is that you may be in the heat during the day, but you can return to the "natural airconditioning" after work, if you live near the ocean.

Yep, although the summer of 1975 was the exact opposite for me as I spent all day at the little gas station my surfing buddy and I ran right at sea level at Jordan River, so we were usually fogged in 'til noon when the westerly would pick up and, coming off cool water, was usually a cold wind. Miserable all day quite often and it would sometimes "drizzle" below bigger trees as they held the fog.
After closing the garage and having supper we'd head up the hill behind JR to where we salvaged railway ties from the old narrow gauge BC Hydro railroad up there.
It had been above the fog all day and usually hotter than Hades by then and it was hard physical work too.
Freeze all day at sea level and sweat all evening up the mountain.

Back then we worked like crazy making money during the summer months when there was no surf so we could surf our butts off when it started up again in September.

Great time.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back