logging my style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonykill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My skidder

IMGP04451.jpg

the 1st pic is at point a, just beyond where it fell

IMGP04491.jpg

2nd pic, less than 5 minutes later in my milling area

Tractor: 16 hp MTD, hydro, hydro 3 point. Price FREE!

Pulled this out no problem, just above idle, in low range. Didn't even know the log was there.

Thats an old school long stroke Briggs for ya. Torque. I love torque. In my saws, and tractors.

This is the tractor I'll forever compare all others to. I just can't beleive MTD made it, and I'm still shaking my head over the fact that it pulled it out so effortlessly.

Skidded out this pine tree (40 feet total) and a 10 foot section of cherry, and cut a little firewood. Nice 30 degree day.

That's what I hope to use my 3-wheeler for now and then. It's an old KLT my neighbor game me for free. It had been sitting outside for a couple years in the rain but I when I inquired about why he gave up on it, I was optimistic. Turns out there wasn't much wrong with it. Runs great now. It's 200 cc but geared very low. I think it should be able to pull light stuff fine.

Thanks for posting pics of your equipment! It's nice to know there's another logger out there working with my kind of budget!

Here's the 3-wheeler when I had just picked it up:
OldTrike.jpg

Here it is with 75$ worth of rattle cans on it:
NewTrike.jpg

Have you noticed that small engines are no longer rated in HP but in Ft-lbs of torque? I was shocked, but sure enough, they're no longer claiming peak HP on mowers and such.

Ian

hmmmn, nope I didn't. In the last year I bought 3- 6.5 hp 196cc honda clones for various projects. They were rated by hp and cc's, not torque.

As for new mowers, no idea. To get anything 1/2 way decent is way more money than I will spend. My 1982 powerking (free) is a better machine than an $8000 new machine, so I don't look at new machines.

I'm still amazed at the ease that the old MTD pulled that log and all the others. :censored: amazing!

duffontap, thats cool. I'll have to get a pic of my Dingo/ Honda 250act hybrid. Easily does 40 to 50 mph, and in low range, I pull a york rake! It too was free. I get pics later or tomorrow of it.

Free is the best, and usually the only price I'll pay!

That would still be better in my book.

Have you noticed that small engines are no longer rated in HP but in Ft-lbs of torque? I was shocked, but sure enough, they're no longer claiming peak HP on mowers and such.

Ian

In Canada they now rate small motors in metric displacement (cc). That don't tell me how far the blower will blow snow or how effective the mower is. Guess they gotta keep me in the dark.
:cry:

How big a log can that trailer handle

interesting use of scrap material....

Log trailer

What is the laying in the middle of the guard rail? (please excuse my poor vision) I was also wondering if a stop welded onto the guard rail wouldnt be a bad idea. (to keep the log from scooting forward.

Do you hook your come along to the trailer channel or how are you doing that? That is a compact little trailer and pretty easy to build. Are you strapping the log onto the guard rail with nylon ??

Thanks Mike

What is the laying in the middle of the guard rail? (please excuse my poor vision) I was also wondering if a stop welded onto the guard rail wouldnt be a bad idea. (to keep the log from scooting forward.

Do you hook your come along to the trailer channel or how are you doing that? That is a compact little trailer and pretty easy to build. Are you strapping the log onto the guard rail with nylon ??

Thanks Mike

Those are some clamps and a piece of steel tubing that I use on my stationary sawmill,they are not for the trailer in any way. I do hook the come-a-long to the tongue end of the trailer channel. Once the log is on the trailer I use a nylon ratchet strap to secure the log to the trailer. I made the axle out of a piece of 2" angle iron with a piece of 1" steel pipe welded inside of it for the axle-rod to ride in.

Dusty....Can I trouble you for some dimensions

What is the main channel length, the place it sits on the axle(ie how much channel is behind the wheels), the length of the guard rail and the axle width? I think I have about everything to cobble one of these together

Great job painting that 3 wheeler by the way

I dont see how anyone could have done a better spray can job....nice Ihave seen a logging video...I think on you tube with a guy building a log house and using a three wheeler to skid..Ill try to find it and post it if I do

I got confused there is only one part to the video

Note the use of the van..shades of Woodshop

What is the main channel length, the place it sits on the axle(ie how much channel is behind the wheels), the length of the guard rail and the axle width? I think I have about everything to cobble one of these together

Mike the channel and guard rail are both 8" long. The axle is back 6'-4" from the tongue end of the rail. Total axle width is 2'-2" (inside of wheels). I offset the guardrail back 2' from the tongue end of the channel rail in order to create the tongue. All that I use to hook it to the ATV is a 1/2" (maybe 3/8) hitch pin. I also welded some braces up to the guardrail from the axle to add some support. Hope this helps. I have some extra guardrail somewhere if you are ever up this way and needing some.

Thanks a lot Dusty

I saw some new guardrail at the scrap yard about week ago. Ill check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the offer and the dimensions I just got a 4 wheeler and I want to get something together for it.

Back