logging my style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool vid... I like to see things in sequence like that from start to finish. I have a plan to produce a video one day of making a small piece of furniture, but it would start with me walking into the woods with my chainsaws and mills and dropping the tree that the wood would come from and stepping through the whole process, milling, sticker, rough lumber to S4S in shop... all the way to finished product. Then I would pop that on a DVD and give it to the customer when I sell them that piece. Talk about truth in advertising...

Speaking of felling trees, one thing about that Utube vid, some body should show that guy how to safely fell a tree. I cringed watching him do it in the vid... he may be a great carpenter/builder but he better have angels watching over him if he continues to fell trees like that.

Any more pictures of the tractor?

How about some details on the tractor - model #, etc.? That is EXACTLY what I've been looking for for skidding small stuff, pulling lawncare equipment, and riding around on with my walk-behind leaf blower mounted to the 3-point. The Case/Ingersoll machines go for too much $$$, at least for my "needs."

Any more pictures of the tractor?

How about some details on the tractor - model #, etc.? That is EXACTLY what I've been looking for for skidding small stuff, pulling lawncare equipment, and riding around on with my walk-behind leaf blower mounted to the 3-point. The Case/Ingersoll machines go for too much $$$, at least for my "needs."

its an MTD model 990. This one is 1975. I think they made them untill the very early 80's. Produced under various names in typical MTD style. 16hp briggs, long stroke. The old low rpm model. I don't have a deck for it, nor do
I want one, but the deck is shaft drive, off a pto under the engine.

I had a Case 444 for years. This MTD is a better machine than the Case was. The Case had weak steering that always broke, was downright dangerous to drive downhill(can you say freewheel?), and wouldn't pull like this. The case was also powered by one of the only mistakes Kohler ever made. The K321. They have a rep of running hot, and seezing up (too thin a bore). Thats just what mine did. That tractor was WAY overrated. The good thing is tho, even as a heap of :censored: I still got $500 for it on ebay.

These MTD's are on ebay now and then. There was one recently in CT that sold for $80 ish. There is a restored one on there now and then for $400 that never sells. That was in michigan or Illinois I think, can't remember.

If you find a model 990, I have the repair manual on my computer, I can forward it to you.

If I left anything out, let me know:spam:

I noticed his lack of tree felling ability

He apparently didnt notch the tree and it pinched his saw...he had to run for it...wow

You all have seen my contraption, you really should check out the forum machinebuilders.net . Lots of uses for old lawn tractors. The forum started about homemade backhoes (caddiggers), cool homemade contraptions- mini dozers, etc.
Adding hydraulics to a machine opens a new world!

You all have seen my contraption, you really should check out the forum machinebuilders.net . Lots of uses for old lawn tractors. The forum started about homemade backhoes (caddiggers), cool homemade contraptions- mini dozers, etc.

Yes, interesting "contraption" you have there, but it looks like it works, and that's what counts. I did check out that machinebuilders.net forum. I'm afraid if I start digging around in there I'll only get frustrated as I don't have enough time for the irons I already have in the fire. If I was to design/build something though, that seems like a good resource, lots of guys that have already been there done that. Kinda like here when it comes to milling, or over in the chainsaw section if you're looking to rebuild your saw.

machine builders

Been on that forum for about 6months. My premises is starting to look like a scrap yard is the only down side

thanks for the link

I briefly checked the site out and registered. I'll check it out more later. Looks like lots of good info there. I have 3 other tractors (all free) that either have hyd, or I have pumps to add. We already have a small front end loader, but a backhoe would save me the money of renting one when I need one.

I like your contraption. Looks real handy.

http://groups.msn.com/bishopton/skiddingwoodwinter.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=70j ai sorti des gros billots 16 pied de long avec ce petit skidder home maid
skiddingwoodwinter.msnw

Last edited:
Nice arch skiman

Have you got any more pcitures and maybe some dimensions? Im collecting various tralier and arch designs..gonna fab up some for the farm.

Hey dusty

Another question about your trailer. Are you running the mower wheels on a solid shaft or did you use bearings. The lawnmower tires I just pulled out of the junkyard had a 1/2 " hole with flats that keyed the axle to the wheel. I had planned on drilling the flats out and turning an axle out of cold rolled with a 1/2 ' shank and a threaded hole to hold it one. It wont be high speed but should turn true until it wears. (which should be a long time the way I will use it.)

I paid 2 bucks for both tires and wheels.

Another question about your trailer. Are you running the mower wheels on a solid shaft or did you use bearings. The lawnmower tires I just pulled out of the junkyard had a 1/2 " hole with flats that keyed the axle to the wheel. I had planned on drilling the flats out and turning an axle out of cold rolled with a 1/2 ' shank and a threaded hole to hold it one. It wont be high speed but should turn true until it wears. (which should be a long time the way I will use it.)

No bearings on mine. Solid shaft. I actually used a piece of allthread for a while until I found a solid piece to make the axle.

leave the key slots in and drill a small hole to put in a grease fitting. The grooves from the keyslots will hold a little grease. I've done this before with free 10 inch rear wheels off of lawnmowers to make trailers. It works great!

Last edited:
yes the trailer have bearing lol...i both this trailer from another guy and im not a welder ... but this tink work great lol...i pull big log whit that whitout any problem lol ...the only think i will change is the axle where the chain go up need a check a the top to maintain the log up ....lol hop u guys understand me lol...:clap: :confused: :clap: http://groups.msn.com/bishopton/skiddingwoodwinter.msnw?albumlist=2

Trailer tires

They arent really keyways..they are flats on the outboard side of the wheel. The axle had the same flats at the end and they messed inside and a bolt held the tire on. Ive got to drill them out to let a round rod turn over. I wasnt really clear about that.

What Im planning to do is turn and axle in the lathe with shoulder. The end of the axle will be drilled and tapped for the same bolt to hold the new axle onto the tire. Its not the best situation but its cheap and I think it will hold up. I wish the hole throught the wheel was at least one inch but its about 1/2 inch.

Thanks skiman

We understand you fine...chime in at anytime..nice log arch for sure

Bad sketch of my arch

Here goes.....(friend had our arch so I can't take a pic)

All framing = heavy 2" square tube.

attachment.php

A = 3.5 ft
B = 3 ft
C = stubs / spindle from a front wheel drive dodge van, use smaller diameter wide wheels if possible.
D = 4 ft.
E = chain around log, hooked to hook mounted center of rig ahead of log..... pull through chain, not on winch line. Lift with winch through pully at top of arch... 8" or so off the ground seems to work well for us.

Boat winch works well for us. We have a 1 7/8 ball on it.

sorry chain and winch line were drawn in grey.... they don't show well on the post.

Last edited:
How do you get your pics to show in the post??? So far all I can do is add attachements....

Nevermind... I figured it out.

Last edited:
Back