Logging pictures of my father and me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratz on your new Posch splitter! Those are really great! We build our splitter a few years back based on the way Posch builds them. Nice you got a winch with it also!

What type is it?

Nice pics and equipment you're running! I have family in Germany, but haven't been there to visit in 20 years! Would like to go back with the wife to visit when we have the time and the cash.

Very cool thread. And yes, the double gas cans sure would come in handy. Happy holidays to our German friends!

I don't think you understand what I'm suggesting. My numbers of 20 cm are purely arbitrary. However, the 1 meter lengths you suggest make it even easier. Measure 1 meter up from where your ground level cut would be. Make your felling cut there. Not so much stooping and much easier to level your notch and line up the back cut. After dropping the tree, cut the pre-measured 1 meter stump at ground level. I'd never suggest someone leave a high stump in the woods. Make sense?

Everyone has there methods. I think most people DO make there felling cuts at ground level. I'm just saying that if you're going to cut the tree into short lengths, and your not trying to preserve board length for lumber, it's not necessary.

I make my first cut for firewood felling a stove wood length or two, then cut the stump as close to flush to the ground as possible. Easier first cut, and allows for a nice clean low stump cut, allowing vehicular access for future cutting. Cutting high on the tree also shortens the length of the felled tree, which sometimes helps in the woods I cut in.

Some new pictures - spruce logging in February.

130220131027_zps751826f4.jpg

130220131028_zpsc0638eea.jpg

Felling with winch:
130220131024_zpsde8eebf0.jpg

130220131021_zps974374fc.jpg

130220131025_zpsa7ab71e1.jpg

Most of them look like this one, that's the reason why we decided to fell all spruces on this part:
130220131023_zps26baf674.jpg

Work is done for that day. The following night was very cold and the Same tractor didn't want to start next morning. :(
130220131029_zps6eb5c0b1.jpg

I haven't been in the forum for a full year, sorry! Lot of work to do in my chainsaw repair business. But (of course) still enogh time to work in forest!!

So, here are some pictures from the last year.

We start in August, felling some beeches in a friend's forest for firewood.

In September there was the last work action for our Same tractor, wood cracking for my uncle's new chip heating. Three weeks later we sold the tractor.

And this is the successor of the Same tractor. A John Deere 6400 - what a great tractor!

In November we started logging beech and ash wood. Of course with the new tractor.

Father also wears a helmet now...

I bought me a new chainsaw and sold my MS 361 Stihl. It is a Husqvarna 560 XP.

346 XPG and 560 XP.

Father's new car, a VW Touran.

The following pictures were made on 31th December 2013.

Felling a big beech:

At that time the radio remote control of the winch didn't work, so we had to use the cable control. Left side my father, right side me.

All wood that is not good enough for selling becomes firewood. The grapple on the tractor is very helpful.

I March I restored the small forestry road as well as our firewood place. The warm and wet winter was not good for this road, there were lots of mud and dirt.

I borrowed the excavator of a friend.

Carrying the excavator with John Deere 6400.

In April we splitted all the firewood.

Wood splitter with winch:

Hi Martin,
I've really enjoyed looking at your pictures but after the problems with the site I missed a few of your posts so I'm catching up. Your Hurlimann looks in really good condition but maybe in all your "spare" time you could make it look like this:

Seefeld Holiday 2013 014.JPG

Seefeld Holiday 2013 030.JPG

Seefeld Holiday 2013 031.JPG

We saw it last autumn at a tractor run in Seefeld, Austria. It was probably in better condition than when it left the factory. There was not a single blemish in the paintwork and even the tops of the grease nipples were all painted red!

Latest posts

Back