logging winch build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Braden LU-4 off an M37...believe it's rated 7500#, had it on a ford NAA for a 3point skidding setup, worked real good...now it just collects dust

I also have a Braden LU, from what I can find out, mine is rated 9000#... I knew a guy that had two of them and he just gave me one of them, so like yours, it just sits.

I was going to build a skidding winch, but I didn't think, for my use, I'd be happy with it's performance, so I never built it up...

SR

I took it for a spin today. Winching is slow but you can't stop it. I have a 10000# Ramsey electric worm gear winch on one of my trailers..... No comparison between these 2 winches.

Pulled some tree length 24" trees up over a hill today and the winch sunk into the ground up to the bottom of the winch. On hard pulls it would pick the front tires of the tractor off the ground a couple inches without even giving a hint that it's pulling hard. Makes me glad it pulls so slow because if the speed was faster I could get in trouble pretty quick

The pile from about 4 hours of pulling logs. We ended up with a pretty nice pile of saw logs too that will be going to the mill. AS 014.jpg AS 012.jpg

Excruciatingly slow.....but effective.
yes but considering what it will pull and the fact it will bury the frame up to the winch them proceed to start lifting the front of the tractor....at idle without even a hint of stress. I think the slowness will be a blessing.

Once you get use to using it, you will quickly tire of the slow...

They all burry down and pull good, mines rated at over 24,000 pounds pull, first wrap on the drum.

I ran my winch at an idle, until I got use to it. Now on longer pulls, I idle it up a little so I don't fall asleep waiting on it... lol

BTW, pulling from a lower point, cures the "lifting of the tractor". That's why they put lower pulleys on them.

SR

that is why i put the jib sticking out with a snatch block. 2 different pulling heights. directly off the drum and up over the snatch block. there really is only a couple inches difference in the height though once the shackle and snatch block are added. the winch itself is pulling from 6 inches above the 3 point arms and the snatch block is only about 3 inches higher than that. when it buries the winch in the ground the 3 point arms are a good 8 inches below rear axle center line

I ran my winch at an idle, until I got use to it. Now on longer pulls, I idle it up a little so I don't fall asleep waiting on it... lol

SR

Ditto. If your pump and lines are up to it the winch speed will basically follow the tractor's speed. If you are at idle now you should be able to double your speed. Ron

Latest posts

Back