Logsplitter Steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics of a splitter I threw together. No concessions to beauty, just stuff off the scrap pile. No grinding and prettying up here. The wedge is made from 2 sections of grader blade to get a compound curve to the knife. gentle enough to start in then spread qite quick. The wedge and pusher are around 16 inches high. The higher you go the more strain you put on the slide and the main beam. In this case it is 14" I beam.

Things got a bit off track in discussing welding and steel types. Back to the main subject:

Where to get: In the small amounts you need, go to any welding shop. They will cut to size for you. Scrap yards 2nd as you take what you find, no cutting available AFIK.

As to the type of steel. Plain hot rolled steel is all that is needed, even for the wedge. Mine also has over 20 years use and has only be re-sharped once.

Harry K

Plain hot rolled, I second that. No need for expensive structural steels or alloys of any kind. Also, it might help to throw together a sketch and steal some measurements off an existing machine to save headaches in the long run. But then again, it is only a splitter. How hard can it be?

I build mine with 12"wedge, cylinder rear mount and hydraulic parts from Northern Hydraulics. 8" x 10' I beam column from a metal buiding and steel cut to length by Metal Express.

I was looking to buy a used splitter and had given up on finding one so I started collecting part to build one myself. I had a few of the parts laying around the shop when one of my bosses' friends came by and asked what I was building. I told him I was building a splitter, he said "Why do you want to that? I'll sell you mine foe $175." This solved the need but I still want to build one with all the nice features I've seen in others wrapped into one machine,

sedanman said:
I was looking to buy a used splitter and had given up on finding one so I started collecting part to build one myself. I had a few of the parts laying around the shop when one of my bosses' friends came by and asked what I was building. I told him I was building a splitter, he said "Why do you want to that? I'll sell you mine foe $175." This solved the need but I still want to build one with all the nice features I've seen in others wrapped into one machine,

Ah yes, the path to madness. Who can resist the urge to 'do it just a bit better?'. BTDT have several t-shirts.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back