Long bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Where is the best place to find long bars for my 3120xp?

Right now I am running a 3' but I have a massive Aleppo pine next week w/ 5' DBH. I saw some longer bars at Bailey's but they were over 300. I am guessing I need 50-60". Can't imagine climbing with something that big. We'll see how it goes next week. First crane job!

I have a 3120 and a 50" bar. You really need to be an impatient climber to take that combo up in a tree with you.

It really is too much to handle in tight quarters unless you are really burly. I have done it, but it's a real chore to get a good wedge cut when you need that type of cut. The length of the bar prohibits you from holding the saw against the tree in some postitions that are relatively easy on the ground. Pulling that huge combination lengthwise out of an uncompleted cut is nearly impossible when you are strapped to the tree standing on spurs. Just starting that behemoth hanging from a rope is difficult.

On the other hand, if you are just chunking down short sections with a huge girth, and you are only using the big bar for cross cutting, it's a pretty good way to get the job done without walking around the tree a lot.

Take your wedges up into the tree when you do the job.

You might consider calling a Husqvarna dealer. Their website claims that the saw pulls their longest bar: up to 6'. I couldn't find any links to list the price or availability, though.

I'll bet it is expensive, whatever bar you buy. I have been hoarding my big bar for 14 years now, and I thought it was pricey back then.

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I will just stick with my 36". Anything 50" or bigger seems to run 300 plus dineros. And I did call Bishop- thanks for the help!

I have never climbed with the 3120 before. I have, however, climbed with my 394 and have found it not too cumbersome, and cuts much faster than my ms440. Would I definitely need to use the 3120 for something this big (5' dbh pine) or would the 394 suffice? Keep in mind, this is a crane removal, so saving time with a bigger saw could save me quite a bit of cash (145/hr for a 30 ton- plus my 2 groundies, plus payroll taxes, workers comp etc, etc...).

The 3120 is actually my Dad's saw back in CT. I am going to buy it off him if I definitely need it for this job. He never uses it so he wouldn't mind getting rid of that heavy paperweight. He has been trying to sell it for a while but hasn't had any takers.

Thanks again for all your help. I have been doing this on my own for two years now and just got my contractor's license a few months ago. I still have a lot to learn.

I have never climbed with the 3120 before. I have, however, climbed with my 394 and have found it not too cumbersome, and cuts much faster than my ms440. Would I definitely need to use the 3120 for something this big (5' dbh pine) or would the 394 suffice? .

It's only pine. Your 394 will be fine. Put a 32" bar on it and walk it around the tree.

Latest posts

Back