longevity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hello all members I have a question.MY question who has the best longevity between saw manufacturers.I have had both Stihl and Husky .I traded my 141
I know of several Stihls with 30 yrs on them.Just Curious how Husky and Jonsered how up over the years:greenchainsaw:

Freakingstang said:
30 years of firewood cutting or 30 years of logging.........
mostly firewood and christmas tree saws,but they also use stihls for thier logging

I just pulled the paperwork on my dad's Homeite XL-12. It was purchased new in 1964. He ran it for property cleanup, until 1980, when he had a woodburner installed. Cut 7-10 cord of firewood a year until 1992; no problems. He probably ran it lean sometime in there. In 92, he had the cylinder honed, and all gaskets replaced, carb rebuilt, etc. In 96, I started using it. Last year, I retired it because of the starter pulley. I pulled it out of retirement this year, just to check on it. That cylinder looks good. I replaced the starter assembly with one from a parts saw, replaced the fuel line, and that thing runs like a champ.

So, I have a 32 year old saw. If my math is right, it has cut 175-250 cord of firewood plus all the property cleanup. For a firewood saw, it seems to have held up well, and looks like it will keep going for a long time yet. I just wish I had the air compressor he used to use at work to keep that thing clean. Any decent saw (not even a "pro" model) will last a long time, if you take care of it. Hang around here long enough, and that won't be a problem.

I would say that type of longevity is common for the wseekend user/firewood cutter for the old Homelites ands Macs and the newer professional Stihl Echo, Husky, Dolmar Jonsred etc. models. I have never been able to fathom just how much wood the loggers cut. I thought I was a heavy user of my 025. I've had that saw for 9 years as a firewood/ odd jobs treework saw and it still runs great and has 145# of compression.

Back