Looked at a bunch of Macs today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

As I mentioned in another thread, I wasn't in a position to spend much time looking at them, but I'm going back. One saw was particularly interesting. It was an old Mac bowsaw, and the powerhead looked more like a square, big lunchbox than a powerhead. It was "flat" on both sides, and the recoil was small, and mounted on the rear of the head, facing the operator. A weird-looking thing. Didn't get a model number. Does my description ring any bells with any Mac owners? Thanks. Also, if any of y'all can tell me what the best old Macs to be on the lookout for, I will appreciate it.

33 maybe. Saw one at an auction this spring, did some research and couldn't find squat for parts so I passed. JJuday

Best old MAC's to look for are:

ALL OF THEM!!!!

Too bad there are others gunning for the same ones.

To me, valuable would be the less common stuff like Super 797's. I'd also like to find a 660. Most guys here would go wild for a BP-1. THe MAC 39's are the same style as the one you mentioned, and they are not seen nearly as often as the plane ole' 35's. If you want a saw to run, the PM 700's are quite fun. The 850's have enough nads to keep up with many modern saws of the same size, but the parts are getting scarce for them.

33 maybe. Saw one at an auction this spring, did some research and couldn't find squat for parts so I passed. JJuday
Yes. After looking at nmurphs post below, that's it.
does it look like this?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...36091f06f749f7b488256b0000644932?OpenDocument

they aren't much sought after. neat enough to have in a collection, though.
Thanks! That's it.

Best old MAC's to look for are:

ALL OF THEM!!!!

Too bad there are others gunning for the same ones.

To me, valuable would be the less common stuff like Super 797's. I'd also like to find a 660. Most guys here would go wild for a BP-1. THe MAC 39's are the same style as the one you mentioned, and they are not seen nearly as often as the plane ole' 35's. If you want a saw to run, the PM 700's are quite fun. The 850's have enough nads to keep up with many modern saws of the same size, but the parts are getting scarce for them.

Thanks!! I'm probably going back tomorrow morning with truck and without wife...And nobody is after these particular saws. The owner lives a mile off the road on a farm.

Looks like the on I saw at the auction, except that one was Amishfied! Still had horse crap on the bottom of it! JJuday

Looks like the on I saw at the auction, except that one was Amishfied! Still had horse crap on the bottom of it! JJuday
I'm surprised the Amish would use a saw that makes noise and takes gas. But I can sure believe in the horse crap.
. The 850's have enough nads to keep up with many modern saws of the same size,

Yes! That is a true statement.
It may very well be one of those in the bunch. I'm gonna look.

Picked up a 1-70 at an auction for $10, I was the only one that bid on it. Other than 2 other older ones, most at auctions around here are the newer ones (3200, eager beaver, etc.)
Old Macs are considered junk around here, which is always good for the buyer. Junked saws around here are regarded like used weedeaters, when they stop working, the owners don't usually want them any more. I like that.

I would love to find a good 850 at the right price or even one for parts

we are coming up on the time when a nice, running PM850 will be harder to find than a 125C. Folks that have one, will most likely hang on to them. Dammitall anyways. I don't have one now, but I did run the hell outta the one I did have.
You-all are probably tired of looking at this old pic, but I like it, so I continue to inflict upon you.

redfir.jpg

I'm cutting that last couple inches, about to exit.

we are coming up on the time when a nice, running PM850 will be harder to find than a 125C. Folks that have one, will most likely hang on to them. Dammitall anyways. I don't have one now, but I did run the hell outta the one I did have.
You-all are probably tired of looking at this old pic, but I like it, so I continue to inflict upon you.

I'm cutting that last couple inches, about to exit.

Randy never get tired of seeing that one. Or any of your pics...

I am working on getting a really rough 850 together. But got to finish my 10-10 first. The issue with the 850 I am trying to put together is so many parts are missing. At least I have a decent cylinder and piston.

Thanks for the posts. I'll check and see if there's an 850 in the bunch, but looks like it won't be today. Honey-do list just hit me in the head.......:mad:

Can we say that any of the early 82cc saws of that series are hot runners? (I.E. SP80/SP81/SP81e) Aren't they all similar, or is the PM850 hotter than the rest?

Can we say that any of the early 82cc saws of that series are hot runners? (I.E. SP80/SP81/SP81e) Aren't they all similar, or is the PM850 hotter than the rest?

I've had/run all of the above and I would say that, compression being equally healthy (should be quite high) in each then that is a true statement.

Thank you for your reply, Hoss!

I wanted to clear up any confusion that I had, or that someone else may have.

If i'm remembering right, some of the later models (PM800/PM805/PM8200/Double Eagle 80) had a bit different engine than the early 82cc models, and had a different exhaust. I can't remember if the bore/stroke ratio was altered, but I think at least the rotating assembly or bottom end had changes. I've been told that the engine or engine internals from an SP-series won't interchange with the later models. I haven't personally compared similarities or differences with the engine or performance characteristics, maybe you could comment on that Hoss.

Randy never get tired of seeing that one. Or any of your pics...I am working on getting a really rough 850 together. But got to finish my 10-10 first. The issue with the 850 I am trying to put together is so many parts are missing. At least I have a decent cylinder and piston.

I'm with ric on that one. That is a great picture, and it is something Bob McCulloch would have been proud of. There is no question what saw you're running there, and that thing is just GETTING IT ON. The lighting is perfect in showing just how many chips an angry 850 is capable of putting out. I'd like to see a pic of a guy standing on top of one full days work and the 850 standing on it's bar tip. I bet it would be a very large pile indeed.

A few minutes work for the 850 on this Sugar Pine, there are 6 trees on the ground to the right. When I finish it, you will have to buy the book to see more 850 pics.
Another ego enhancing photo.

Pine-1.jpg

I picked up a NIB PM800 this week, staples are still in the box in fact.

It is in my posession now but spoken for...

The new owner wondered if he'd be out of line to run it, I thought it should be run.

Mark

P.S. IE8 is still preventing me from posting photo's...

Last edited:
Back