Looking at 50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and if you decided to sell it at some point in the future you will reap the benefit of Stihl's value retention, deserved or not, it is a fact for sure.

Absolutely true here in Ontario. Boggles the mind what people ask for and get for some of their saws.

The bar length you would like to use and chain type are also factors. I have the Echo CS400 taking the lightweight picco chain. Pretty slow cutter and needs sharpening more often I think. A 50cc will be a pretty big change but why not get a Stihl 362 (like I have). 59cc, really good torque and power, 3/8 chain and great with a 18" or 20" bar.

My question(s)

What are the other 3 saws, how much wood do you cut, and will this be your primary saw?

No one, including most importantly yourself, will tell you it was a bad decision to spend the extra and grab the MS261, especially if this is to become the saw you'll use the most.

That said, I know a lot of people that cut 2 or 3 cord a year and have been doing so with the same Echo for 15 or more years. In terms of reliability they just don't want to quit.

No bad choice, guess it boils down to what makes you happy.

Take Care

Here's my rule of thumb 45cc and down go with Echo, 50cc to 60cc go with Stihl.

I sort of like this rule of thumb; if nothing else it's a good tie-breaker. The 261 sure is impressive, and feels like a bigger leap to me.

My question(s)

What are the other 3 saws, how much wood do you cut, and will this be your primary saw?

No one, including most importantly yourself, will tell you it was a bad decision to spend the extra and grab the MS261, especially if this is to become the saw you'll use the most.

That said, I know a lot of people that cut 2 or 3 cord a year and have been doing so with the same Echo for 15 or more years. In terms of reliability they just don't want to quit.

No bad choice, guess it boils down to what makes you happy.

Take Care

The saws I have now are a 1972 Poulan S25DA (very strong, but mainly have it for sentimental purposes since it's a family hand-down), a small Tanaka 3351 14" still new in the box (given to me by a relative, will likely sell or give it away), and the workhorse Echo CS-400 (new to me a month ago courtesy of Hurricane Irene; it's cleaned up about 10-12 trees at this point and has served me well).

I wouldn't normally sweat the $100 more for the 261, except it will probably come close to $600 out the door. That is a bit of a mental hurdle despite only being $100 more than the Echo 500/530. If they want to deal on the 530 and push it lower, that could be a very compelling choice on all fronts. But I agree, there will be no regrets with the 261.

My biggest issue at this point is that I don't really need two workhorse saws; before Irene, I hadn't sawed in a few years. This sudden rekindling of my love for chainsaws and cutting is going to be hard to keep up when I run out of wood! I do have the better part of a 28" yellow pine to finish chopping up, but that will only carry me so far before I have to go scouting for wood to feed the habit….

All of the wood I have cut this year has come from asking to cut other people's storm damage or in some cases asking to cut up wood from trees that have been cut down and left for the homeowner to deal with. I think it is a pretty good hobby to have. I think the cs500 or the 261 would be a good purchase for you. I am up to 6 saws and saving money for the next one. Good luck with your decision.

Prices

Keep in mind that dealer support is a key factor, so that narrows me down to Echo and Stihl. I am not opposed to trying a new dealer/brand, but I really like the guys I work with now and have a good existing relationship with them as a Deere dealer. They are honest about their saws, and don't push me one way or another (though you can sort of detect some brand loyalties among the staff).

The chains were sharp to the touch on both saws (as in, scary sharp to the touch -- either new or recently sharpened with a stone tool). So to me the remaining variable between the 261 and 500 would be chain design/quality. Stihl has a better chain product from what I can tell (pretty sure the Echo is running Oregon), but the 261 is also a little more aggressive driving the chain -- there's no doubt it has more power.

--online, at the usual places, you can bump up to 60 CCs with the echo, for the type of money you are thinking of spending, even a little less..just sayin'...might help in the negotiating with the dealer..besides, he knows you'll be coming back in to buy stuff anyway. He might not price match, but sweeten the pot for ya, more loops, whatever.

I have run a 530 for a couple years now and it compares well to a stihl 026/260, which I ran for years. I like it so much, I think that if I needed another 50cc saw I would get another despite it being an obsolete model. I know there's still one left on my dealer's shelf and don't think I don't go and look at it every time I go in there either! Good saw.

Well I guess I'll say it. Go 6 cubes and never look back, if a 50cc saw makes you smile a 100cc saw will send you to the loony bin. Now for the serious choice, save your money and buy one of those new ms441 M-tronic saws and it will cure CAD, for a while anyway, then your next thread will be looking at 100cc saws. Just ask anyone here, they are all secretly looking for that big 6 cube monster and don't want to admit it.
995G005.jpg

Got the 261!

Wanted to bump this up to note that I got the MS-261 today. Dealer gave me a discount on an extra bar and chain which helped seal the deal. Boy is it a sweet saw -- a real powerhouse for the size and weight.

attachment.php

I was going to hold off on the purchase, but was bucking some big logs this morning. My 40cc Echo was doing OK, but wasn't eating through the cuts like I remember the 261 doing. So that sparked the purchase.

While cutting with the 261 this afternoon, I noticed a big difference in the saw's behavior within about 10-15 minutes of working, so it's already breaking in nicely.

One thing I am real surprised about is how the saw oils the bar; my Echo literally pisses the oil out in comparison. The 261 seems a lot more frugal and precise with the oiling, which I will have to get used to -- I am not sure how you would visually notice an oiling problem on this saw. In fact, I originally thought it wasn't oiling, but I took a look at the port with the bar off and saw the dribble, and the saw pumped through about half the reservoir while I was cutting this afternoon.

Now for the serious choice, save your money and buy one of those new ms441 M-tronic saws and it will cure CAD, for a while anyway, then your next thread will be looking at 100cc saws. Just ask anyone here, they are all secretly looking for that big 6 cube monster and don't want to admit it.

I'm living proof....went from Echo 40cc to Efco 56cc to Stihl 85cc to Another Stihl 85cc to Stihl 137cc. Oh and in a couple days one of my 85cc saws will be back home from undergoing a woods port/pop up piston. All this in TWO months :msp_w00t:. Only issue I am having is, I have not run the 137cc saw yet.

To the OP, good choice on the ms 261.

Latest posts

Back