Looking at dolmar's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this site! Been looking at the dolmars and I like the older 540 more than the newer 510, 5100. I cut about three cords a year real full cords and need a excuse to buy a new saw! No Husky or Stihl for me I have to be differnt! I use a old Mac and Poulan thats right a poulan! Never let me down yet and I like the anty vibe it's a 2550T It out cut's my buddys cheaper sthil! but then I keep a sharp chain and adjust the carb for our changing elevation here in the Alberta Rockys. But I do like the Dolmars seen one working one day it was a 6400 and thought I need one! So whats better the newer 510,5100 or the older style 540? :buttkick: What I mean by cheaper sthil is it did not cost less than my poulan but is not a pro model and runs like xxxx
The Dealer I was talking to keeps lowering his price on the 540 think I should buy that one as it is a good deal!

Last edited:
I am just starting to use a 5100,very sweet saw it is new and it already is the strongest 50cc saw I have ever touched,wait till it breaks in.
I think the 510 is a revamped and improved 540,I am just guessing,one of the dolmar guys on here can answer you better I am sure.
if your going to use the saw more than once in a awhile I would go for the 5100.

The PS-540 is a good saw we have sold a bunch of them over the last 5 or 6 years.

The PS-460 has about the same power, turns a 1,000 RPM faster, feels smoother, but weighs a little more with the Aluminum Cases.

The PS-510 will have more power than the PS-460 and weight the about the same.

The PS-5100 weighs less than the 460 & 510 (Magnesium cases) turns 14,500RPM and has quite a bit more power than the PS-510.

So if you want the most power buy the PS-5100 or if you like the older styling save a few $ buy the PS-540

Steve

attachment.php

166 said:
The PS-540 is a good saw we have sold a bunch of them over the last 5 or 6 years.

The PS-460 has about the same power, turns a 1,000 RPM faster, feels smoother, but weighs a little more with the Aluminum Cases.

The PS-510 will have more power than the PS-460 and weight the about the same.

The PS-5100 weighs less than the 460 & 510 (Magnesium cases) turns 14,500RPM and has quite a bit more power than the PS-510.

So if you want the most power buy the PS-5100 or if you like the older styling save a few $ buy the PS-540

Steve

attachment.php
I do like the older saw and if I don't buy a used 044 I will get one that is a 540

Dolmar

166, great chart and useful summary :clap: Does anyone know of any direct comparisons of the 5100 to the equivalent Stihl and Husqvarna? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back