Looking at Husky 272xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Hey, there is a add locally for a Husky 272, it says compression is good, but spark is weak, needs new ignition box. ??? Is this possible. Do these have problems for wearing out. Im looking for a saw in this range. Might be a good deal. He's asking $150 for it.

Thanks

It could very well need a coil but a compression test(by you) will tell more. We have a 272 on the FD and it runs good considering what that poor saw has been through. I would say go check it out and give her a good look over. If it looks beat all to heck, leave it.

I would ask if you can pull off the muffler to examine the piston and cyl as well that will tell you the real story on the condition. Spark is easy to get back.

I ve never tested compression on a saw before, I have done it on cars lots. Can I use the same gauge?? how many times do I pull it over?

Thanks

Will

What was the difference as all the 272 saws I have had were 272XP saws.

Bill
Don't know. I've never seen the straight 272 myself. I just noticed it the other day when I was looking up parts. Of course, my parts list may have been wrong as well.

Last edited:
I can tell by pulling it over slowly it should be hard at one point and not easy all the way to the end of the pullcord listen for leaks. There is an adapter for standard compression tester for small engines. pull three times. take reading. I would pull muffler check compression and if all is good offer him 100 tell him it is a nonpro model and it is discontinued it doesn't hurt to try. look at the piston and rings through the exhaust port if there are lines up the piston the cyl is probably scored.

Last edited:
Don't know. I've never seen the straight 272 myself. I just noticed it the other day when I was looking up parts. Of course, my parts list may have been wrong as well.

I have never seen a straight 272 but people talk about them. I would sure like the experts to tell me if the elusive "272 non XP" is myth or reality. I have my opinion based on my experience.

Bill

I can tell by pulling it over slowly it should be hard at one point and not easy all the way to the end of the pullcord listen for leaks. There is an adapter for standard compression tester for small engines. pull three times. take reading. I would pull muffler check compression and if all is good offer him 100 tell him it is a nonpro model and it is discontinued it doesn't hurt to try. look at the piston and rings through the exhaust port if there are lines up the piston the cyl is probably scored.
Hm, I thought XP's were the pro models, if so why would you try telling the owner it wasn't? To me that wouldn't help any bargaining and may make you look silly. Still, offer 100 if its decent and maybe you'll find its someone who likes ta horse-trade :D Good luck!

:cheers:

Serge

Spring the xp's are pro I though he was talking about this standard 272 Space was refering to. I made an error. I was up too late last night.

Last edited:
272 was a great saw. There was an xp version and a standard version. Yes, coils can go bad.

Never heard of that non-xp (standard) version of the 272 - the Husky IPLs usually just didn't put the se, xp etc designations on the front page at that time (but some times they did) - you have to look closer = at the decals in the IPLs ...

...however, the 272xps made in Brazil by now have less power than the original (Swedish made) ones

Last edited:
Well if you do buy it give me a holler. I have a 272 green coil lying around, maybe a few other parts.

Ok, I bought the saw. Got it for $130. Piston looks good no scoring. It runs right now, just doesn't idle? I picked up a carb kit/sparkplug/plug boot(was ripped) and a new rim sproket. It came with a 30" bar. Gona put on my 26" Bar and chain off my 394xp and put my 33" back on the 394. Hopefullly all goes well. Also gona check all nuts and bolts, maybe it has a vac leak causing a bad idle??? Any suggestions for checking for leaks??

Thanks

Will

Ok, I bought the saw. Got it for $130. Piston looks good no scoring. It runs right now, just doesn't idle? I picked up a carb kit/sparkplug/plug boot(was ripped) and a new rim sproket. It came with a 30" bar. Gona put on my 26" Bar and chain off my 394xp and put my 33" back on the 394. Hopefullly all goes well. Also gona check all nuts and bolts, maybe it has a vac leak causing a bad idle??? Any suggestions for checking for leaks??

Thanks

Will

If your problem is only at idle, it could be the diaphram in the carb or an intake leak or it just might have dirt in the low speed jet. Usually, a crank case leak will only run in a weird half throttle spot and you wont just lose the idle. I would check the intake out real well before you reassemble it and get a set of intake gaskets. Congrats on the purchase, if you get fed up with it you can ship it to me and I will give it a good home.

Thanks for the tips. I sure do get a lot of offers from people to give my saws a good home. Heck that would be like giving away one of my kids. When I pulled the plug, there seemed to be allot of fuel in there. So maybe its just the carb overfueling? Anyway, I got a new kit for it. Gona put it in tonight. Then see how it runs.

Ok, I got the carb kit done, and spark plug. Started it still didn't run so well. Didn't idle, then died. Now wont restart, there is no spark at the plug, I pulled the plug out and turned motor over, no spark, I unplugged the kill switch to make sure that wasn't the problem. Could it be anything else besides the coil/module?? If so I will just order one up. There are a few on ebay for a good price.

Thanks

Will

You had spark before you put the new boot on it...right?...maybe the coil is okay but there is a problem at the boot...?

Back