Looking for 346xp info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been tossing around getting a Husky 346xp and have a few questions. My local dealer doesn't stock them and doesn't seem to know much about them. I was hoping maybe somebody here could answer them for me. Does it have an inboard or outboard clutch, do they use rim and drum or spur sprockets, and I'm sure you can run .375 x .050 chain with the right bar and sprocket. I know very little about Husky equipment, I'm sure that's obvious, but I've got just fed up enough with Stihl's flip caps that I'm about to start trading off everything that has them. Thanks in advance for any info.

Tons posted about them. Great saw.

Outboard clutch, to chainge rim you need a simple clutch removal tool which can be made or cheap to buy ($10). Careful with the bearings when you have the clutch off as they seem extra fragile.

Most now come with a green fuel cap and a catalytic converter muffler. If you buy one of those, plan on buying a non cat muffler from Baileys or ebay because those cat mufflers run unpleasantly hot.

We just got our booking shipment at the shop last week and all the 346's were the not cat version.

Seems strange all this cat/non cat models. Why don't they sell just one model? Here in the UK all the 346's i have seen are the non cat version, then from reading on here most of the US ones are non cat too, but then all of a sudden, someone will get a cat version? Why?

Seems silly to me, why is it deemed neccessary to add the cat to some of the saws but not all?

On mine

3/8 pitch, .058 gauge, 16 inch bar works well. I like the 3/8 on all my saws except the 200T obviously, as I only need to carry one file with me when heading out with a couple saws.

.325 pitch may be a bit faster, but not enough to make a huge difference in real world cutting.

Take Care

Seems strange all this cat/non cat models. Why don't they sell just one model? Here in the UK all the 346's i have seen are the non cat version, then from reading on here most of the US ones are non cat too, but then all of a sudden, someone will get a cat version? Why?

Seems silly to me, why is it deemed neccessary to add the cat to some of the saws but not all?

My Husky/Stihl dealer says it's depends on how many EPA credits they have at the time.

Don't know if it is true, but sounds to reason to me.

TT

Seems like a few years ago there were more green caps (E-Tech). All the new 346s I'm seeing around here in the last year or two are non-cat. My dealer had 4 non-cat 346s a month ago.

Junkfxr, you can't go wrong with a 346xp. Great saw!

My Husky/Stihl dealer says it's depends on how many EPA credits they have at the time.

Don't know if it is true, but sounds to reason to me.

TT

I believe you are right TT.

This is mostly a US issue, on other markets (like the UK and Norway) you can get the version you want, and it always has been that way. The specs are slightly different, and you even have to pay extra if you want the cat muffler.

Back