Looking for 90-100cc Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a "needs nothing" 064 for $250 + shipping. I would not sell this saw but I found a good deal on a 2100 Husky.

Casey,

I have several saws in that class but the 064 Paul offered is the best deal I would suggest you buy it. It will be a da:: good deal.

Bill

Remind me, its early, what CC is the 064? HP rating? This will be dedicated to a portable mill, with nothing larger than a 36" bar. I will not use the saw for anything else.

Edit; After some quick research...the 64 is 85cc, 6.4 horse. My 460 mag is 6.0 horse before the muffler mod. I think I need bigger than a 064.

I am running an 064 on an Alaskan set-up. Got it from Travis as a matter of fact. Good milling saw. HP is not everything. The 064 has a lot more low end grunt then the 046. During milling you are not running WFO all the time. During cuts you often pull the RPM down below wide open. The older saws are also supposed to be good for that as well, but I do not have any experience with them.

Yeah, I got to thinking about the fact the older saws have more tourqe. So.....what size bar are you running on your 064? Any problems with a lack of oil?? Ran mine tonite for the first time and the 460 is lacking in the oil department with a 28".

I run a 28" on mine. There is a post on here with some pictures titled Quartersawn oak. It is sitting on page 2 right now. I have pretty good oiling with the 28, but granberg says use their accesory oiler if you run over a 30" bar. It really depends what you want to spend, but a lot of the older saws have the hand pump oilers to augment the regular system. I went with the 064, because I wanted to use it for bucking as well. It is not dedicated to milling.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31663&d=1141069287[/IMG]

Here is an action shot with the slabbing attachment rather then the Alaskan.

I run a 36" on my work 064. I run 3/8 full skip chain. Ive never had a problem spinning it buried. But I don't know what your cutting, and Ive never milled wood. Most of the trees I cut are "softwoods" Pine, fir, etc.

ripping

I used regular chin first. Fine dust and slow. Ripping chain was also fine dust, but a lot faster cut.

Latest posts

Back