Looking for a 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only real "problem" with the 5100S is that it doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should, and I believe the MS261 is even worse in that regard!

A 346xp is totally different! :msp_smile:

I dunno, troll. I think in regards to handling, we're now talking personal preference.

Limiter coils, types of chain brakes, filter systems - those can all be debated, but preference of handling...seems like - to me at least - thats all about how the specific user feels about each individual saw.

Just my 2¢ though.

I had a ne 346 and got rid of it because I thought the oe handled better. Now Im getting rid of that for a 261. SO I think is a matter of preference and all 3 saws mentioned will cut fast and handle decent. to the OP I see you 1 hr north of me. If you wanna try a oe 346 and 261 PM me and you can come down and test them.

It isn't that simple, but do as you like! ;)

It isn't that simple, but do as you like! ;)

We could argue about this all night but I HAVE used all 3 and like the 261 better for handling and cutting. Thats simple enough. I know the specs might make one better than the other BUT until YOU have used them all, all the specs are is ink on paper.

also like mentioned before how a saw handles is personal preference and to some a 5100S will be ideal and others a 346 will. Theres NO way to be able to designate how a saw should handle for everyone.

We could argue about this all night but I HAVE used all 3 and like the 261 better for handling and cutting. Thats simple enough. I know the specs might make one better than the other BUT until YOU have used them all, all the specs are is ink on paper.

also like mentioned before how a saw handles is personal preference and to some a 5100S will be ideal and others a 346 will. Theres NO way to be able to designate how a saw should handle for everyone.

You nailed it! I'll hit ya with a rep or two when I can.

To me it depends a lot on what you are going to be doing with the saw!
There isn't a loser in the bunch.
I like my 5100 better for an all purpose saw, it just feels better in my hands.
That being said, I also like my hotrod 350 a lot for a "beater" and it is more agile to limb with as is the 353 and 346.
The short 16" bars seem to fit the Huskies better and the 20" feels "right" to me on the 5100.
Don't overlook the 52cc Efco either if you have a dealer close by.
I ran a couple at GTGs last year and they are a fine saw too.

Mike

To the OP.. If that 346 worked well for you, I wouldnt hesitate to get another. It may or may not be the best 50cc saw out there, you are the only one who can make that decision.
I know the 261 took a little (I do mean little) getting used to, I couldnt believe how much torque it had for a smaller cc modern saw.

Last edited:
A small repair shop near me is an Efco dealer. I was there a few weeks back and they had a 50cc on the rack. To me it felt lighter than my 5100 and the price was reasonable..I think it would be worth a look.

What's the point of getting a 50cc saw, that handles like a larger saw in the woods? :confused2:

Wouldn't you have to have used them all to know that?

If you want to have to mod your saw to cut with the other two brands get the 346xp. :hmm3grin2orange:

gg

My only real "problem" with the 5100S is that it doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should, and I believe the MS261 is even worse in that regard!

I haven't run a 261, but I have spent significant time with a 5100, and the 346 is more lithe than a 5100 for sure. I also prefer a 346 to an 026/260.

If that's true, then I ain't even gonna think about upgrading my MS270. It's a true 50 cc , and a little more than I like for limbing, but it talks the talk to those big red oaks. :msp_smile:

Wouldn't you have to have used them all to know that?

If you want to have to mod your saw to cut with the other two brands get the 346xp. :hmm3grin2orange:

gg

I dont have the MS261, and have no interest in getting it - I am able to see from the layout and specs that it isn't what a 50cc saw should be, and no-one has been able to disprove that so far - most that have been posted just proves I was right!

A small repair shop near me is an Efco dealer. I was there a few weeks back and they had a 50cc on the rack. To me it felt lighter than my 5100 and the price was reasonable..I think it would be worth a look.

the performance is almost on par too....they really come to life with a muff mod...and are by far the easiest to mod...for the price they are the cheapest with 5yr warranty.....performance wise...they arent THE fastest but are in the same class....but the efco 152 isnt considered a pro saw....just a high performance semi pro

Last edited:
The king of the 50cc class surely is the 346xp, no doubt about that! :msp_biggrin:

Maybe at your house it is, but not at mine. Not everyone sees anything special about the way a 346 handles, myself included. I see your reasoning about the outboard clutch, and the balance, but I have yet to actually notice it while using one. I have put several hours on a 5100, two 346s (both NE), and a 261 and as far as I am concerned there is no king of the 3, they are all good.

The only thing I did notice about a 346 is the rapid acceleration, but of all the saws I have owned of many different brands, I have never to had to wait on a saw to get wound up in between cutting limbs.

sorry for the loss man id be pissed:msp_angry:
My Suggestion (for whatever its worth)
would be the Dolmar 5105 if your looking to go a little smaller the 510 would work great:)the only difference is the 5105 runs 1000rpm faster than the 510
hope i could help

Hey if you find the guy that stole it kick him once for me lol

sorry for the loss man id be pissed:msp_angry:
My Suggestion (for whatever its worth)
would be the Dolmar 5105 if your looking to go a little smaller the 510 would work great:)the only difference is the 5105 runs 1000rpm faster than the 510
hope i could help

Hey if you find the guy that stole it kick him once for me lol
The other differences are the 5100 weighs about the same with both tanks full as the 510 does empty.The 510 has a spur and the 5100 a rim drive.

Latest posts

Back