Looking for a "cheap" top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschroeder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok...don't roast me too bad here! Looking for a cheap homeowner top handle saw, 12-14" bar for trimming/pruning and the occasional cutting wood when camping. What are some good new or used to look for? Planned use Is a handful of times a year if that. Currently have a Redmax 16" rest handle saw i love...just want a TH in the garage as well

Pretty hard to beat the quality of echo for the price. I don't own any top handle saws but I do own 3 Echo saws, a string trimmer, hedge trimmer and a blower. Every piece of equipment I own has been excellent and dead reliable.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

So when looking at a used poulan...anything specifically to look out for or avoid? Other than eBay or craigslist any other good online sources?

Check with @Jon1212. He has a good running Stihl 015 top handle he's selling and the money is going to a good cause.

ok...don't roast me too bad here! Looking for a cheap homeowner top handle saw, 12-14" bar for trimming/pruning and the occasional cutting wood when camping. What are some good new or used to look for? Planned use Is a handful of times a year if that. Currently have a Redmax 16" rest handle saw i love...just want a TH in the garage as well

Or best offer, if that price won't work, we can work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_7724.JPG IMG_7728.JPG IMG_7730.JPG What is your budget amount or define cheap. A $600 pro saw selling for $300 in nice condition is cheap.

I actually posted in here earlier today looking for the same thing. I like the stihl, but at $300, not sure that that's what I want to do. If anyone has one near Rockford, IL, I'm interested in used also.

If you have a little know-how and don't need a pro saw to cut a few limbs with, then Poulan micro xxv's and Homelite Super 2s are descent and real cheap choices. Parts are super plentiful and cheap and both are easily found on Craig's list for less than $50. After you fix a couple they are pretty simple saws. And they have been around for 30 years so at least you know they hold up. I like using my little dual trigger Super 2. It is no speed freak, but it always starts and is really light weight. For a even smaller saw an XL will work too.0416171934~2.jpg

If you have a little know-how and don't need a pro saw to cut a few limbs with, then Poulan micro xxv's and Homelite Super 2s are descent and real cheap choices. Parts are super plentiful and cheap and both are easily found on Craig's list for less than $50. After you fix a couple they are pretty simple saws. And they have been around for 30 years so at least you know they hold up. I like using my little dual trigger Super 2. It is no speed freak, but it always starts and is really light weight. For a even smaller saw an XL will work too.View attachment 600251

What gas/oil mix do you use with a saw like that?

haha, sounds like I'm opening a can of worms. :) Well I'd like to keep everything in my stable at 50:1, so I'll probably steer clear of these saws ATM. Thanks for the input though!

Latest posts

Back