Looking for a "cheap" top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that don't know @Jon1212 won this saw in the Breast Cancer Raffle. Instead of keeping it he is "raffling" it off and donating the funds back to the raffle. Hope he doesn't kick my butt for telling this but it's a great thing he's doing to help out.
Blabbermouth!.......LOL!

IMG_0491.jpg
It's up to $210.

If you have a little know-how and don't need a pro saw to cut a few limbs with, then Poulan micro xxv's and Homelite Super 2s are descent and real cheap choices. Parts are super plentiful and cheap and both are easily found on Craig's list for less than $50. After you fix a couple they are pretty simple saws. And they have been around for 30 years so at least you know they hold up. I like using my little dual trigger Super 2. It is no speed freak, but it always starts and is really light weight. For a even smaller saw an XL will work too.View attachment 600251

I have one and a bar to go with it (if I can find the bar) for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your inclined to work on saws nothing wrong with a used older saw .if not get the newest you can get poulans homelites and older stihls have their good and bad points 009l great saw but your hands will vibrate if you use it all day the others have good and bad points depending on the model...the lil older echos are bullet proof but are a reed valve ...as are the lil poulans so they are not as fast as todays top handles but i still own one and its got good anti vibe and is light weight. my 009l will spank its ass but in a tree i would rather have it for weight and anti vibe.....take your time read up etc.... getting an old poulan would be of great value to learn to work on them ...only downside is parts....this is my 2 cents. others will have their own the new echo 271t can be had on ebay for around 265-300 i have not owned a stihl 192or 193 so i can not say im sure it would work fine also....really a sharp chain good fuel and a clean air filter are some of the best things you can do.....the other guys on here can let you know on saws they have owned and what they think .their are alot of top handle saws in the 300 range husqvarna t435 tanaka etc i have not owned any of these so i will let others who have give their 2 cents.....

thats a clean saw very nice condition....it looks ready to ship hahah
That saw had to be straight gassed out of the box. Its almost perfect looks wise but needs a P/C I'll get to it one day. If I was Gona buy new as a home owner I'd get a 355t near 201 performance for $350 can't be beat. But the old poulans can be had for cheap as good runners.

Latest posts

Back