Looking for a quality Timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lees

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been surfing around looking for a good Timberjack/Cant Hook combo and need a little education. It seems to me that prices are all over the board with Northern selling one for $27-$45 and another site sells one for $90. Some are wood handled and others are metal tubes. Has anyone found a good one for the money? Are wood handles preferred over the metal tubed ones and what length of handle is best? Most Timberjacks will accommodate a 12-14" log, so it would seem to me a longer handle is better for more leverage. Just looking for one that is solid and will last.

Thanks as always,

Greg

Baileys sells big ones - I think 5 or 6 feet long all metal. The northern tool one is a POS for sure, trust me. If you lived near Central NJ you could have it for free.

Dean

Have seen Logrite's site. With the log stand attachment, I'm well over $100. They make solid stuff, but maybe too expensive.

I thought it was about a skidder.

The Timberjack works well for lifting small logs for cutting, but a little costly. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fred

DeanBrown3D said:
Baileys sells big ones - I think 5 or 6 feet long all metal. The northern tool one is a POS for sure, trust me. If you lived near Central NJ you could have it for free.

Dean
I have one of the northern tool POS for sure all metal Timberjacks and have had no problems with it dean-o, have you had bad experience with same?;)

John

Yes, its not strong enough, and its wobbly as crap. Too small to be useful to me. Also the hook point never seems to grab properly.

It always ends up being easier to just lift wood up and shove a piece of another log under.

I was looking for a larger one for ages, never saw the baileys ones until recently. But now to be honest what I'm thinking of doing in making a portable hoist that can lift a decent size tree (1-2') in the middle.

Dean

Timber Jack

I had a timber jack made out of metal tubing that worked well for me for many years until my son in law got hold of it and bent it out of shape.
This Christmas I found a new wood handled jack from Bailey's under the Christmas tree. It has a 3 1/2' handle and I believe the ones from Northern are only 3'. You get much more length than this then you better have a pretty sturdy handle to take the leverage. My only complaint with the new one in the little time I've used it is the stand will sink into the loamy soil. It might work better if you could fashion up a plate to put on the bottom but I don't know how one would go about attaching it. It holds the wood better than the old one and I don't think the son in law is going to be bending the handle on this one.
I think this one was going for around $60 dollars which was a bit less than the local boys wanted to sell one for.
One thing about the Bailey's timber jack you may want to consider. The stand is removable, but is held on with a bolt so you will need a wrench or two to get it off. I think it would be more convenient if it were attached with a pin and clip.

Timberjack

Timberjack: Timberjack - Find your Timberjack: Timberjack for $89.99 at Woodcraft.com. Will save your back and your saw. This heavy duty, double purpo... Read more at Woodcraft
In stock

timberjack

Hitting the ground with a running chainsaw can badly dull the chain in an instant. This combination peavy and log stand is great for easily rolling and moving logs, and for holding them off the ground for safe sawing. Hand-forged steel parts with maple hardwood handle. 3-1/2 feet long.

Choose Products
PRICE QTY

The quantity must be a numeric value between
# 16239 Timberjack $69.95

from dr power

Alderman - I', looking into other such things (see the other thread in the logging section) - can I ask what size wood you were lifting with that new one?

DeanBrown3D said:
Yes, its not strong enough, and its wobbly as crap. Too small to be useful to me. Also the hook point never seems to grab properly.

It always ends up being easier to just lift wood up and shove a piece of another log under.

I was looking for a larger one for ages, never saw the baileys ones until recently. But now to be honest what I'm thinking of doing in making a portable hoist that can lift a decent size tree (1-2') in the middle.

Dean
Yes you are right the hook point is not shaped right, I took a grinder to mine and that helped and in soft dirt it is abit wobbly, but it is short light and handy and it seems to work well on the black locust trees I cut for firewood. I guess it really depends on what size trees you are working with.

John

Response to query

Most of the stuff I cut is smaller than 14". Quite a bit of alder with some maple and fir thrown in on occasion. If the log is too big I will buck it into two pieces at a convenient point before lifting it.

Northern Tools Piece O ****

DeanBrown3D said:

Dean

If your near Michigan.... You can also have mine. Northern Tool's is a worthless, piece of ****...

He has two now!

Hey I just ordered a Stihl one (60" long) from my dealer, its $110, but it looks like the point is very long and sharp and angled just right. Its on their web site under hand tools.

Dean

I think you would be better of with a peavey, the log flipper/holder deal looks kind of dorky to me. I just cut through the log most of the way every 16"-24" whatever, then turn it with my peavey. Then I just back bar the pieces. Actually I rarely use it anyways, mostly I just make cuts at multiples (4'-6' whatever) where it isn't touching the ground and then move it onto other wood to cut it proper. Also it seems to me that if you have the log held a little off the ground with this dorky tool it is hard to see dirt or embedded rocks, if you turn it right over with a peavey, you can see the backside.

DeanBrown3D said:
Hey I just ordered a Stihl one (60" long) from my dealer, its $110, but it looks like the point is very long and sharp and angled just right. Its on their web site under hand tools.

Just a note that the Stihl peavys and cant hooks are made by LogRite.

alderman said:
My only complaint with the new one in the little time I've used it is the stand will sink into the loamy soil. It might work better if you could fashion up a plate to put on the bottom but I don't know how one would go about attaching it.

Drill two holes in stand. Screw into short piece of 2x4 or 2x6. Done. OR, just carry the 2x4 and use it as needed. *shrug*

alderman said:
One thing about the Bailey's timber jack you may want to consider. The stand is removable, but is held on with a bolt so you will need a wrench or two to get it off. I think it would be more convenient if it were attached with a pin and clip.

Good idea. So do it. Take out the bolt and put in a pin & clip. Done. Cost? What, a buck fifty? Two bucks? *shrug*

Back