Looking for a saw for my teenage Son

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a woods ported stihl 440 with decomp valve it's only got a 20 inch bar so it must be a little saw. For sale

The Dolmar 351 is in that cc range maybe some 350 still out there as well. It does have something in the starting mechanism that is kind of cushioned it doesn't wind up with a bunch of little pulls. The off switch is quite convenient and the chain brake works well in manual and inertia mode. It is just a smaller bore of the 420/421 that gets a lot of mention on here. It is pretty quiet in my opinion.

First saw I used around 10-11 was a super XL Auto. At 13 I worked in the woods for a summer, hand peeling, then when the sap dried up we cut and bunched, I cut and bunched with a Promac 10-10. I would definitely look at a good used pro saw in the 50cc class that has good potential, go through the saw thoroughly with him, then turn him loose on it. That way he will not only be able to use it, but maintain it and fix it as well, including teaching him how to hand file the chain. Saws that are plentiful and cheap here are still the 10-10 and super XL Auto, as well as some older poulans and craftsman saws. Can usually get them for free or less than 20 bucks.

My boys worked with me from the time they could hold a wrench, got their first saw when they turned 8. They also ran the skidders, helped with all mechanic work on trucks, skidders, fueling up, greasing ect. I had two girls to, they all peeled Aspen, girls ran measure stick on the landing and helped unhook chokers ect. I payed them the same wages i payed the crew. [Their all over 40 now]

The wife weighted 99 lbs, she could start and run a 044, she liked the 034.

The smaller saws i feel are more dangerous, i would get him a 50+cc saw with a 18" bar, he'll be a happy camper.

My 13 year old is capable enough with my 345 and 445 huskies. If anything I prefer him with the 445 as it has a tool free chain tensioner.
Smaller saws with .325 chain throw the chain pretty quickly while learning correct techniques and less than ideal chain tension. With a simpler chain tensioner he is more likely to keep it correct.
I see no difference in teaching him at 13 than teaching adult employees who haven't used a saw.

I was taught at a similar age by my Dad, it was as soon as I could pick up the big old McCulloch I was ready, but all I could do for a long while was saw logs on the ground. With modern lighter saws I have started teaching my son limbing and small felling almost straight away.
I will add that I dont know I would say the same about many of his friends - but most people with chainsaws give me cold sweats regardless of age.

My 2c worth.

i dont think getting him a easy start will do any good im 15 can start pretty much anything given i am 6'0 and 190 lbs the saw choice depends on a lot is he mechanically inclined if so get a project that you can help him fix up if he does like being outside and doing this type of stuff but not working on them maybe a nice used one or new one if he is an inside person get a poulan or husqvarna equivalent i started at 14 with a stihl 026 now i have like ten saws and do wood all summer just some thoughts to look into:rock: let him look at some saws too see what he likes the feel of:eek:uttahere2:

346xp...why not? Within a few weeks he will get the hang of it well, kids learn fast, and he'll be quite productive cutting with you. A pro saw worth keeping and rebuilding.

OR...get any old junker and tear it down, rebuild it. He will learn cleaning/maintenance/repair then cutting with it.

+1 on the 346xp, maybe he has a birthday coming up at some stage? It would be a saw he can use for the next 20 years if he looks after it. I know a member who has a few new ones - PM me for details if you like.

Also the husky 340/345/350 platform would be a good option to rebuild or upgrade later to a big bore kit. Boys usually quite like hotroding stuff.

I'll add my opinion, worth what you pay for it. I think an up and coming sawyer would be well served with a rear handle Poulan 2000 series such as 2050, 2150, 2350. These saws are easy to start and easy to work on. Put a 91VXL chain on it and adjust the carb as needed. Parts are cheap and easy to find and these saws perform well for their size and cost. $40.00 will get a nice low mileage example on Fleabay or Craig's List.

I'll add my opinion, worth what you pay for it. I think an up and coming sawyer would be well served with a rear handle Poulan 2000 series such as 2050, 2150, 2350. These saws are easy to start and easy to work on. Put a 91VXL chain on it and adjust the carb as needed. Parts are cheap and easy to find and these saws perform well for their size and cost. $40.00 will get a nice low mileage example on Fleabay or Craig's List.

Are Poulan even available here ?

Oh, no such thing as Craig's List outside the US either ;)

Are Poulan even available here ?

Oh, no such thing as Craig's List outside the US either ;)

We have Gumtree though... sounds kind of Aussie lol. But yeah Tassie has a bunch of good used saws from what I have seen.

I would find him a decent used 50cc pro saw that needs a little work. Im 16 and started running a husky 42 at 12 with dads supervision then at 13 my grandpa gave me a stihl 026 he had sitting in his barn. I went through it and got it running and did general matnience on it myself. I had no proem starting it. At 14 I could start my dads 365xp easily but barely the 272xp. A few weeks after I turned 15 I bought a brand new Stihl 460 and had no problem starting it. I always have a few beater poulan or craftsman saws laying around to hotrod and cut stuff I won't use my good saws on but they are cheap for a reason. You can find a used pro saw for about the same as a new box store saw and you will get soooo much more from the pro saw.

I think I may have found a saw. A Makita (Dolmar) MDE3440 - 34CC, decompressor, no bar at present but will wear a 3/8LP 14" if I get it. The interesting thing is it is not clamshell construction which I would have expected. Looking at the parts list it doesn't seem too bad as far as work on ability, except for the recoil starter being mounted behind the flywheel - why would you do that???.
Anyway it is up on Ebay as a non runner due to not being used for several years. The seller, (100% feedback rating), says it turns over and has compression and states he is sure it would start. This seems to cover most of the aspects we have discussed thus far and will introduce my son to some basic maintenance when we go through it together - assuming I am the winning bidder. If it goes pear shaped I will not have mega dollars tied up and it will serve as a good learning experience.
I'll let you know how it goes.

I think I may have found a saw. A Makita (Dolmar) MDE3440 - 34CC, decompressor, no bar at present but will wear a 3/8LP 14" if I get it. The interesting thing is it is not clamshell construction which I would have expected. Looking at the parts list it doesn't seem too bad as far as work on ability, except for the recoil starter being mounted behind the flywheel - why would you do that???.
Anyway it is up on Ebay as a non runner due to not being used for several years. The seller, (100% feedback rating), says it turns over and has compression and states he is sure it would start. This seems to cover most of the aspects we have discussed thus far and will introduce my son to some basic maintenance when we go through it together - assuming I am the winning bidder. If it goes pear shaped I will not have mega dollars tied up and it will serve as a good learning experience.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds real good, hope you get it.

you got echos down there?? not so popular but the echo cs370 is a good 36 cc saw, it would always work as the handy small saw but will handle
bigger stuff, easy to start and run. i got two of them, little muffler mod and tuning they run real good. stock they did real good :msp_biggrin:

oops!! sorry didnt see you found one! happy teaching and sawing :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

There's a range of Stihl stuff on gumtree, from a contra, 090, 066, even an as new ms880 :D

Not all practical, but he could grow into them :msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back