Looking for a saw upgrade...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McPherson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here, after reading a lot!

I have to say you to bare for my english, as it's my second language. I'm a french Canadian from the beautiful Quebec city.

I started cutting wood since I was 14 with my dad's Stihl 025. Later my brother bought a MS260. I went few years without cutting, but 2 years ago a neigbour offered me and my bro to help him cut hiw wood and cut some for us too.. So I bought a Husky 550XP. It was a blast compared to my bro Stihl, but had some problems with engine cutting off on cold temp/powder snow conditions. On summer, I had some flooding issues. I went to the dealer to put a new software in it and since then it's running like hell!
I'm using a 16-inch plate, full-chisel husky chain.

But now i'm starting to buy some logwood shipped in 8-12ft to sell firewood, and sometimes going on bigger trees the 550 is a little weak. I'm interested of buying a bigger saw and put a 20-inch plate for when I need more power. I'm using the Husky for 95% of my job, so it would be the backup/big horse saw.

I went to a dealer and he offered me a Jonsered cs2166 that has been used about 4 days ans the guy returned it to buy a 550 since the jonsered was too heavy for him. Talked to the seller and he tell me I could have it for around 400-450$ (CAN)

I was wondering if it's a good upgrade or if there will not be so much difference comparing to my husky, or if I should go with another make/model? I clearly have a preference to husky products, but that's only fools that don't change their minds...

Anybody's thoughts?

Thanks,

Francis

Nice, so that would be a good pick. Also, since I will be the second owner, the warranty will not be "switchable". I read about a baffle that could be grinded to get more power... Maybe that should be a good move to do that mod and get more power of it since then.?

There is not much "big" chainsaw market down here, and no forums/groups... Buying from US would be too expensive with shipping and customs.. So I don't have a lot of options, unless going for a brand new one but find it kinda expensive for a saw that will not run that much.

Thanks for your reply!

Damn.. I found a 562xp for around 100$ more.. Do i'm still better with the Jonsered?
Husky and Jonsered are the same saws basically, just different colors. The 562 is an AutoTune (AT) which means electronic carb. They are a very stout saw and have a lot of good reviews. I believe the 562 is a large mount bar like the 2166. The 2166 has a traditional carb 70cc saw and makes more power than the 562 which is a 60cc saw but comes with some extra weight. The 562 is a great saw for 18-20" bar size work and occasional 24 if needed. The 2166 could be happy running a 20-24" bar daily.

In my opinion, I would choose the 2166. The price is right and with a 20" bar it loves to cut. It's nice to have a little separation between saw classes otherwise you'll likely not use the 550 very much.

Welcome to AS Francis!

The 2166 is a great saw! It looks like you have done your homework and found out how to make it into a 2171. If I already had a 550 I would skip the 562 xp(which is a fantastic saw) and got for the 365xt/2166. It is a better compliment to the small saw you already have.

I spend a fair bit of time on kijiji ontario and the 2166 at $400 is a pretty solid deal

.......If I already had a 550 I would skip the 562 xp(which is a fantastic saw) and got for the 365xt/2166. It is a better compliment to the small saw you already have.

.......the 2166 at $400 is a pretty solid deal

My thoughts exactly!

Ref Marshy's post:

Just in case it confuses someone in future, the 562XP is large mount, the almost identical 560XP is small mount.

Agree on all other points.

If it were my decision, I'd take the 562 and sell the 550 if you wanted a one saw firewood plan. I have several to choose from but my 560 with 16" bar is the one that does pretty much 95% of my needs. It would do the rest too if I didn't have other saws to 'play' with!

Husky and Jonsered are the same saws basically, just different colors. The 562 is an AutoTune (AT) which means electronic carb. They are a very stout saw and have a lot of good reviews. I believe the 562 is a small mount bar like your 550 and the 2166 is a large mount. The 2166 has a traditional carb 70cc saw and makes more power than the 562 which is a 60cc saw. The 562 is a great saw for 18-20" bar size work and occasional 24 if needed. The 2166 could be happy running a 20-24" bar daily.

In my opinion, I would choose the 2166. The price is right and with a 20" bar it loves to cut. It's nice to have a little separation between saw classes otherwise you'll likely not use the 550 very much.
562 is a large mount, why would you give someone bad info, not very smart.

562 is a large mount, why would you give someone bad info, not very smart.
Some times people make mistakes, you know all about that don't you. It wasn't intentional. The true test of someone's character is if they are humble about being wrong.
Thanks for the correction, I will make the edit. That's what happens when you go from memory. After all this is the internet so trust but verify.

Ref Marshy's post:

Just in case it confuses someone in future, the 562XP is large mount, the almost identical 560XP is small mount.

Agree on all other points.

If it were my decision, I'd take the 562 and sell the 550 if you wanted a one saw firewood plan. I have several to choose from but my 560 with 16" bar is the one that does pretty much 95% of my needs. It would do the rest too if I didn't have other saws to 'play' with!
Thanks for the correction.

Hey I don't want to start a fight! Relax, it's a sunny friday morning here, taking my coffee after a 12-hr night shift and reading your replies :)
I will wait 'till the original owner call me back to know what HE wants for the saw, since the price I had was from the guy at the dealer. If it's in my price range it's a close deal :D Thanks for all your advices!

But, since i'm there.. Got another question!
I've read about Tsumura/Sugi-Hara bars that are very good quality, etc.. For a non-pro that like to have a saw that cuts great, but is not using it all-day-everyday.. Would it worth the extra bucks VS an Oregon for example? Is there any increase in performance with those bars? I know there is a weight issue, but so?

Also the more i'm reading here the more I would like to get hands on a blowed-up saw and get it running/try porting and stuff on it! Much better start on a few bucks saw than a brand-new one! Plus I used to be a CNC-Machinist and car mechanic so looks like some great time with a beer in the garage!

Hi Francis,

Je suis de Laval, super de voir que je suis pas le seul Québécois ici !

Sorry for the French part guys. I am all with what the guys said before, I think you will have a solid combo if you
buy the 2166. You could just put a 24 inch power match oregon plate.

The lightweight bars look so cool tough. After my 545 comes back from Mastermind I might order one.

As for ordering from the USA for a saw it is cheaper BUT harder to get warranty honored.

Jean-Francois

Salut Jean-François!

Effectivement, on doit pas être beaucoup de québécois ici! Super comme forum!

Sorry guys for the french part! Still no news from the dealer or the original owner, might gave them a call tomorrow... The worst thing that can happen is that wasn't the saw for me, i'll wait for the next deal..!

I'm not worried about warranty since I want to buy a used one, I can do mechanic at home so that's not a big deal. My concern is more about exchange rate/customs/shipping!

Do you know some places in quebec that build/tune saws? Or i'm better practice and start a shop someday? :p

Latest posts

Back