looking for a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Dirt Hand Tools splitters look pretty nice for the money. I'm sure T-wolf's are great, but $4,500 is a lot of money if you're not processing professionally.

This is sorta what I was thinking. You've limited yourself to what you can get by you choice of store to buy from. I too use the 22T Huskee to split about 6 to 7 cords a year. It's don't a fine job for me. The Briggs engine has never fail to start on the third pull cold. First when it's hot.

But with the choices you've put yourself under, you can probably expect to pay somewhere around $1 to 3000 more on the splitter. I bought mine used for $750 so I'm happy with it. There are a lotsa good ones on the market, just gotta be willing to pay the price.

I do like the looks of the Dirty Hands splitters, but know nothing about um.

Tell your cousin to put a wrench on the loose bolts and tighten them up.

Not going to fix it being slow. The 4 way wedge they sell for these things is a joke to boot. I understand wanting to save $ by burning wood etc but set yourself up with good tools to do it. I invested $ into a stove, saws, splitter upgrades, tractor etc and now should be set for a long time. It took a few seasons to pay off the investment but it was worth it. My point, the $ I spent on the tools is long forgotten now and I don't have to work nearly as hard to heat my home.

id rather buy something once and know its going to work when i want/need it to! instead of buying something and having to replace it every couple of years.
i too hate big box stores (chineese garbage) i dont understand why people ##### about there being no jobs and the like, but they continue to buy foreign garbage. Nothing like paying another country to become world leader while your own is falling apart around you!

Not going to fix it being slow. The 4 way wedge they sell for these things is a joke to boot. I understand wanting to save $ by burning wood etc but set yourself up with good tools to do it. I invested $ into a stove, saws, splitter upgrades, tractor etc and now should be set for a long time. It took a few seasons to pay off the investment but it was worth it. My point, the $ I spent on the tools is long forgotten now and I don't have to work nearly as hard to heat my home.

No argument on this. But not everyone is blessed with a wherewithall to put out 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a splitter. So us poe folks just have to make do with the junk.

My cousin and my friend both have a 27 ton Troy Bilt with the Honda engine. Runs like a champ, have split some large rounds with them. It will run you about $1,300 - $1,400. My cousin lucked up and got the "floor" model for $1,000 a few years ago.

We recently ran my friend's new splitter on two separate days most of the day to split 2 cords each day and it never missed a beat.

:clap:

Shop Troy-Bilt 27-Ton Gas Log Splitter at Lowes.com

I'd stay away from the cheap ass china made box store stuff.

Which ones are those? I think Champion but those hadn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Aren't Huskee/Speeco made in the USA?

I know Wallenstein/Surge Master is made in Canada.

Which ones are those? I think Champion but those hadn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

if assembled in usa with foreign parts, then yes its made in usa.......i guess:dizzy:
just like toyota tundra's how they claim theyre made in usa, but they dont mention its with all foreign parts:bang:

Research is your friend. Lot of china made parts used on splitters these days.

Research is your friend. Lot of china made parts used on splitters these days.

i wonder if they make a "made in usa" sticker like this but with the foreign part in fine print :laugh:

MADE IN USA
with foreign materials

if assembled in usa with foreign parts, then yes its made in usa.......i guess:dizzy:
just like toyota tundra's how they claim theyre made in usa, but they dont mention its with all foreign parts:bang:

That's sorta funny. Neither does Dodge, Chev and Ford. I ask me Chev dealer yesterday what service we needed at 100,000 on our 08 Malibu, he said nothing. If it's running good don't do anything to it. He said the plugs come from Mexico and the plug wires from the Dominican Republic. And he said they ain't worth a hoot. On the highway mileage is still at 28, he said don't touch it. Just change oil and go on.

Hardly anything is "made" here. All the machinery has been sold. This nation is in a mess

That's sorta funny. Neither does Dodge, Chev and Ford. I ask me Chev dealer yesterday what service we needed at 100,000 on our 08 Malibu, he said nothing. If it's running good don't do anything to it. He said the plugs come from Mexico and the plug wires from the Dominican Republic. And he said they ain't worth a hoot. On the highway mileage is still at 28, he said don't touch it. Just change oil and go on.

Hardly anything is "made" here. All the machinery has been sold. This nation is in a mess

Your telling me! Couple of years ago I worked of a company that rebuild used saw mill equipment. Most of the equipment I worked on after it was re built was shipped to South America. Some of the biggest gangs I have ever seen, the best saw mill equipment our fine country had, sold to some company in South America, never to be seen again. Oh how sad it really is!

Your telling me! Couple of years ago I worked of a company that rebuild used saw mill equipment. Most of the equipment I worked on after it was re built was shipped to South America. Some of the biggest gangs I have ever seen, the best saw mill equipment our fine country had, sold to some company in South America, never to be seen again. Oh how sad it really is!

To highjack the thread a bit more, some 15 years ago the company work for, that being ironwork, we added onto a church. I was on top to see that things went together right. The first 7 beams that was on the hook to be install had stamps from 7 different countries. I about fell off he building and was so upset I could a burned a beam in half. One was even from Russia. But one was from Canada, and that was always good steel. They did a job. No scrap in it.

To continue with the hijacking of my own thread... I bought a pair of american made red wing work boots the other day and the guy at the store said the chinese ones tend to hold up better because they are allowed to use glues in china that we cannot use in the states.

To continue with the hijacking of my own thread... I bought a pair of american made red wing work boots the other day and the guy at the store said the chinese ones tend to hold up better because they are allowed to use glues in china that we cannot use in the states.

or you could get american made chippewa's now if they only made laces that hold up as well as the boots id be all set...

Back