Looking for hands on climbing teacher in MD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl0ride

Reaction score
Hi all first time poster here! Over the last 2 years I've been clearing my 1/2 acre of the over 40 trees. I have about 10x 30-40 foot trees remaining and bought all the climbing gear to get them taken care of. These trees are all leaning near a fence or my house. Ive already read a few climbing books and fiddled with my gear and learned my knots. I feel im ready for some hands on lessons. I would like to have someone in the southern MD show me the ropes on using gaffs and a split tail system. I'm willing to pay hourly for lessons. Or if anyone knows of any local classes i can attend that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:
Try contacting the Maryland Arborist Association if you dont have luck from any of the local guys on this site. They have a web site and phone number. They may be able to get you in touch with an instructor or tell you when a class will be held. I do commend you for wanting to learn from a professional

Bomber's advice is great.

I actually went on the Mass Arborist Association website for a CA to learn from. I found one literally 1/8 mi from my house. I was willing to work like a dog for free in exchange for knowledge.. worked out awesome and we've ended up becoming great friends too.

If your current job allows you any flexibility at all, try offering up your time in labor on some weekends in exchange for some lessons. It's equally rewarding for teacher and student.

Working for lessons sounds like a better idea. I have weekends off so im sure i could find someone to work under weekends. Please contact me if you want me to help you out for some lessons.

Latest posts

Back