Looking for new Work boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danners primarily,I do have a pair of Wolverines that I bought for a demolition job a while back,great feel and fit.In mud or wet snow I wear insulated XTRA Tuffs,ive been wearing this brand for almost 30 yrs.For all my boots I take out the factory foot beds and put in Spenco's i think.For hiking I wear Vasque,another brand ive stuck with for 30yrs(despite china on the label).I love my Danners,wish they had just a bit more cush like the wolverines tho.Cept for the Xtra Tuffs Its getting very hard to find USA on the labels,regardless of the brand.

ak4195

Agree w/ the "Whites" replies, althougth I prefer the Nick's version of the same boot. Managed to wear out one pair and have 8 yrs on my second pair. Spendy at first, but when you figure the cost/yr, it's a great value. Best part of it all is, you can walk in the shop, have your foot fitted, and watch the man jot down your order as you tell him exactly what you prefer. I like that kind of business.

I too ,have been on this "BOOT" MERRY-GO -ROUND. I"ve tried Wolverine( Terrible boot, that Durashock kept splitting on me every 4 months. They gave me a new pair each time but, after 4 times I was done with them. .

Amazing, I wear the Wolverines on concrete 10-13 hours a day, as well as at home, in the yard, around town. A pair will last me 3 years.

Have you tried the model 03788?. They look a bit odd as they are a hiker style. I tried the reugalr ones, not nearly as comforabatbel.

Thats in and out of work, in town and as low as -25. No issues.

Only comfortable shoe I had in my life, and I am pushing 60 damned hard.

I have to say Whites or Nicks! I am a firefighter and I have to say these boots are great. They have diffrent levels of boots from good everyday general use to full on fire walkers. I have put my boots through hell and back. I have a pair of Nick's hotshot right now. I just sent my White's off for a rebuild. They will come back almost new. They are spendy, about $400. The rebuild is about $200. My White's lasted 5 years (one re-sole) with the harshest conditions you coul imagine. I have walked up and down manny moutains and fought insaine fire (I live in California). My Nick's I just got two weeks ago so I can't offer to much personal experience on them yet but I do know they are just as good, if not better (depends on who you ask). The break in period sucks but after that they are the best boot I have ever owned. All other boots just feel cheap after these. Like I said, high price but well worth the money! The best part is, you can do custom with whatever you want.

My Red Dawgs were delivered yesterday. I didn't want insulation or steel toes, but did want 12" height. The first impression was that they are very well made, with heavy, oiled leather, at least double stitched, full gore(?) vs partial tongue, excellent speed lace hooks, etc. They are NOT lined, so if you're interested in a Cambrelle or leather lined boot, this isn't it. Likewise, they don't have a removeable footbed, but that isn't necessarily a negative. I just happened to have several pairs of insoles that I've swapped from other boots to improve fit, and slipped a pair in. I wore them all day yesterday, they are comfortable, and break-in will be minimal. Made in Canada, not :censored:China. When I bought them last week they were on sale for $160.

I'm pretty fussy about how shoes and boots fit, so generally will not buy without trying on. I can say that these 11.5M seem to be exactly the length and width that I expected. As others have already mentioned, changing to thicker or thinner socks is a pretty obvious way to modify the fit, but changine insoles, adding arch supports, etc can go much further to improve fit and comfort.

Howdy,
Yes, I work for the place that sells them. I've worn many different brand like everyone else. For the amount of money you spend and the quality of the boot you get, the Red Dawgs are right there. After the break in, they fit like gloves. There's actually a rush of air that comes out of the boot when I put my foot in. (good news / bad news type of thing).
Regards
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande Dog
There's actually a rush of air that comes out of the boot when I put my foot in. (good news / bad news type of thing).

That is a function of the full gore(?). It is intended to keep water and debris out.

JJay03 - I got them at a local Army/Navy sporting goods store ($189). You can find them online though. I'm very pleased with them so far.

Latest posts

Back