Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Jon. How would you describe the feeling you get when you watch one lean out, then swing around and hit the intended lay just like you planned?
That feeling you get when you just know there will be a bunch of fence repair in u'r immediate future, but then the fence fairy magically pushes that tree away

In blue gum (most brittle fibres I've encountered...so far) the difference between initiating movement to breaking tension wood is way too narrow for plebs like me to be playing in. That still standing fence in the background is proof that luck ain't all bad all the time.
View attachment 511032
Tough to get em moving on flat ground.

That feeling you get when you just know there will be a bunch of fence repair in u'r immediate future, but then the fence fairy magically pushes that tree away
Kind of like when your wife gives you that little look and you think- my God tonight's the night?

I routinely can turn small trees leaning out over my fence lines back onto my side, and I certainly ain't no pro.

Look, if it sets down on your bar, it tells you the top is moving. In this context, pinched is expected... so long as it lets loose a couple of seconds later as its momentum moves around to the face.

That place between reality and fantasy. I believe Nietzsche described it best in Beyond Good and Evil. Or maybe it was Yoda? "Do or do not, there is no try."

Where are you geographically, twinkle toes?

I've always enjoyed a heated debate and when I do get into it I am rarely wrong. If you can't see what's going on with the kerfs opening and closing I'm not sure what to tell you. It's made as plain and simple as elementary math.
Here you go, show us your cuts to get that tree to go 180' to the lean.
Don't be shy, anybody can have a go as well, the worst thing that can happen is an imaginary pinched bar or some imaginary egg on the face.
Thansk

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 47
In blue gum (most brittle fibres I've encountered...so far) the difference between initiating movement and breaking tension wood is way too narrow for plebs like me. The fence in the background is proof that luck ain't all bad all the time.
View attachment 511032
Keep us posted when you pinch & bend a bar, just hang onto the starter cord & you should be able to safely save the saw head while getting away from the butt a little, those blue gums have massive big dead branches that can come straight down like spears real quick.
Thansk

Kind of like when your wife gives you that little look and you think- my God tonight's the night?

dude isn't 18 kids enough...

Link, por favor

Huh? I'ma dummy? These are mostly being made up for the logging, similar to the last ones but a little different, I have thought about building up some custom pro logging sarcastic type stuff fer selling and what not, just not that ambitious yet.

Here you go, show us your cuts to get that tree to go 180' to the lean.
Don't be shy, anybody can have a go as well, the worst thing that can happen is an imaginary pinched bar or some imaginary egg on the face.
Thansk
Drawings don't have wind, slope, root swells for pull wood, limb wieght, other trees, etc. You also didn't include species of tree and you drew a conifer which I rarely ever cut and nothing of size if I do. Unfortunately I've given you the info visually through video. A picture is worth a thousand words so a video is worth a million. Note the wedge I put in the kerf just to keep it open. Without that I would have lost the tree or at this very least not have been able to saw anything from the back. 2D diagrams don't always equate real world experience. Especially in cutting timber.

I had to let bewildered off my ignore list chain for a few minutes to help answer his questions.

First off dude I don't think you are reading all the words. The tree DOES NOT snap back 180 degrees and fall opposite the lean. Any experienced sawyer knows that. The kerfs and hinge are all intended to move the tree in very small increments just like a wedge does. Any experienced sawyer knows that. The tension wood is cut a little bit at a time as is the hinge. The tension wood is cut low and the sawyer is watching the kerfs close a little as each is cut. The hinge is chased leaving it thicker near the tension wood which is now coming under compression. What I think you are missing completely (and has been stated here) is that the tree is "ROLLING" (weight shifting ever so slowly) toward the lay. The top of the tree is traveling in a slight arc.

Picture a good sawyer sawing lean into the tree this way to swing it 45 degrees, no more. That may help you understand what is happening.

BTW there are many times when I have wedged a tree and then stood back for a minute or too to let the force exerted by the wedge do its work. Fibers are popping, maybe I drive the wedge a bit more, maybe I tickle the hinge or nip the corners more. All of this takes time to work, but it does work. If I just bashed the wedge bad things can happen.

Latest posts

Back