looking to buy a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathonJEB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking for some experienced advice on new saws. I am going to use it primarily for firewood, approx 4 chords a year from already fallen trees and occasionally for cutting smaller trees, but I want enough power to cut bigger trees if needed. I am looking at a new Husqvarna 445, but i just dont know if it is a good saw or if its worth buying. Any info would be appreciated. I am not dead set on Husqvarna its just what ive heard is the best.

Welcome!! try the search.. You will be lost with all the info.. My personal recommendation would be The stihl ms290. Its a non pro saw but unless you plan on using it a of a lot more than what you stated, you wont be disappointed. I don't have much experience with the husky's..

I run the 455 rancher and i love it for firewood, i'm starting to sell alot of wood so ill be upgrading soon just to make the job a bit easier. I cut about 2 cords a weekend with no problems with it. I got mine on eBay for 300 to my door, it was reconditioned but offers the same warranty as a new one. The 290 stihl and the 310 are both awesome firewood saws have used both and recommend then to people even though im a husky guy

Basically you get what you pay for.

Then it is a good thing to have a chainsaw shop with experienced people and repair. If there is a shop like this near you (where they service what they sell), then better to get a saw there.

Might want to pick up a Stihl chainsaw safety and maintenance video sold at Stihl dealers. Good lessons on safe use, how to sharpen chains, etc.

Chainsaw safety clothing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainsaw_safety_clothing

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/logger/logger.html

Oh you started it now. Asking which saw to buy is like starting the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Republican, Democrat, Cat, Dog, Elvis, Beatles debate. I would look for one of the big three Husqvarna, Sthil, Dolmar and then find the one that fits you and your budget. One last thought. If you have to drive 100 miles to find parts or have them shipped in than that is a knock against that brand.

For 4+ cords/year, look at 50+cc chainsaws. Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita. As stated by others, dealer support should be a strong consideration.

Note that a lot of serious firewood cutters here end up with at least a two-saw plan. A popular combination is a 50cc model for limbing and smaller bucking with a 70+cc model for bucking and big wood. So if you start with a good 50cc saw, then you can add a more powerful model later if the need arises.

For a Stihl get the MS260. Or look for a good used 026 or 260. The saws are bullet proof and if something does break parts are very available.

For a Husky get the 346xp. Awsome saw, and just downright fun to run.

For a Stihl get the MS260. Or look for a good used 026 or 260. The saws are bullet proof and if something does break parts are very available.

For a Husky get the 346xp. Awsome saw, and just downright fun to run.
Cant' really find anything wrong with this statement. A new 260 might be out of the average firewood cutters budget, but if you can swing it you will have the saw forever. 346 is an excellent choice as well. Ok Dolmar guys let's hear it!

well since you mentioned you wanted a saw..........

you'll want a Husqvarna.

if you want a toy,grab a Stihl.

I heard Toys-R-Us just picked up the Stihl line.

Is what ive heard true about stihls not very easy to start. A still would be better for me as far as being close to a dealer where as if i buy a Husky it would be from lowes or the internet.

If its got to be a homeowner saw at least bump up from the 445 to the 450, its a nice little saw. I'd avoid the 455 or 460 as the weight of the saw takes a dramatic jump with only a little bit more power. I call my 460 the boat anchor.

In all fairness............................

Is what ive heard true about stihls not very easy to start. A still would be better for me as far as being close to a dealer where as if i buy a Husky it would be from lowes or the internet.

if a Stihl is hard to start,there is something wrong.No different than any other saw.

Why not buy from a dealer? You have a better chance of getting a deal there.Your going to pay MSRP at Lowe's with no service or parts support.

I assume when you have a problem with the saw,you'll expect your local dealer to stop working on his customer's saws to fix the one you didn't buy from him?

I do not understand this mentality.If if your dealer charged you 10-20% more,it's still worth it for the support.

You're actually losing money in the long run.Something simple could get you out of the dealer and back in the woods for nothing or very little.A dollar chasing a dime if you ask me.

I learned years ago,if they don't offer parts and service,I ain't buying it from them.

My dealer and all their employees know me by first name.The other day I was in my dealer at the parts counter.The parts guy asked the owner jokingly if he had to put up with me,the owner stated due to the amount of money I spend there that he had to put up with me whether he was joking or serious.

Last edited:
I run the 455 rancher and i love it for firewood, i'm starting to sell alot of wood so ill be upgrading soon just to make the job a bit easier. I cut about 2 cords a weekend with no problems with it. I got mine on eBay for 300 to my door, it was reconditioned but offers the same warranty as a new one. The 290 stihl and the 310 are both awesome firewood saws have used both and recommend then to people even though im a husky guy

:agree2: x2 on the 455 rancher, used it today as a matter of fact. Love it....There are alot of complaints about the chain jumping off on the internet (not here) but it hasnt happened to me ever. Check my tention every fill up.

Buy the biggest saw that you can use gracefully. For smaller wood, the MS260 is great (I love mine and it starts super easily), and the 346 has a super rep. If you buy a bigger saw, then you are not wanting one when you get into that occasional large log.

I really like my 359 and 361 for that reason. The 260 is my go-to saw,though-within its capabilities-as it is a lot handier with the 16" bar. It is about to get a muff mod which should make it even better. If you do not have good dealer support with anything but Stihl, then I think that would be your answer.

Buy from a dealer with service.When you buy from a big box store like Lowes your on your own.You may get it home and it may not even start. Buy a Stihl and you won,t even see the box, it will be fueled ready to start cutting. Thats Stihls policy. :greenchainsaw:

Dealer support is good, but saws are really really easy to work on. I had some carb problems with my 346 the other day and I thought about taking it to the dealer, but ended up fixxing it myself. I would rather do work on my own saws which I take utmost care of than have someone else touch it.

I am a husky guy but in your shoes with only stihl having dealer support in your area I would go with them.

For what saw you should pick that depends if you only want one saw or if you are going to look at getting one now and another in the future.

For a two saw setup I would look at the 260 and the 441.

If you only want one saw I would look at the 361 or the 441 and would probably go with the 361.

You could get by just fine with a 50cc saw (260) but when you get into bigger wood you will be much more happy with the power of a 60 or 70 cc saw.

Granted a 290/310/390 will work for your needs but I do not recommend them personally. They are a bit harder to work on (which means more money when something dose go wrong if you have to take it to a dealer) and are quite a bit heavier for the power that they put out compared to the saws that I mentioned.

It is worth it to spend the extra cash on a higher end saw. Properly maintained they will last a lifetime. For an example of how long the higher end saws last my 272 was built in july of 1992 and is still my go to saw when it comes time to fall some timber or start bucking a big pile of logs. I use it more than all of my other saws combined.

Dont forget to pick up the proper PPE either. It is worth every penny.

Last edited:
Granted a 290/310/390 will work for your needs but I do not recommend them personally. They are a bit harder to work on (which means more money when something dose go wrong if you have to take it to a dealer) and are quite a bit heavier for the power that they put out compared to the saws that I mentioned.

It is worth it to spend the extra cash on a higher end saw. Properly maintained they will last a lifetime. For an example of how long the higher end saws last my 272 was built in july of 1992 and is still my go to saw when it comes time to fall some timber or start bucking a big pile of logs. I use it more than all of my other saws combined.

Dont forget to pick up the proper PPE either. It is worth every penny.

My first saw was a MS310, I ran that lead weight for 3 weeks, told the dealer I was not impressed at all and he took it back and I got a MS460.

The homeowner saws are for just that, homeowners. Sure those saws will last for a while, but nothing like a Pro saw, and they wont be as fun to run either. A Pro saw is easyer to work on, better anti vibe ect...

Like I said before, if money is a issue go with a MS260 or 346xp. If you can spend a little more I would get a 361 if you can find one, or a 362.

Also, dont be afraid to buy used. A used pro saw is cheaper, better, and will last longer than a new homeowner saw.

Latest posts

Back