Looking to pruchase a new 75 to 80 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8titan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new 75 to 80 cc saw

I have been wrestling with the decision about a saw purchase in 70 - 80cc range for some time now. I primarily do firewood for personal consumption and I would say I cut and split 8 cord this year....mostly red and white oak with some ash and black birch mixed in. My 034 struggles a bit when the 20" bar is buried in a fill size oak log. So, after reading 100's of posts, I more indecisive than ever on the right saw to up grade too. Some of you might say, "just stick with the 034 it's enough saw for what you are doing" my response is I need more power period!!!! Call it what you will.

I'm hearing great things about the 7900 except a few complaints that the chain tensioner is a little funky and that the air filter is a bit small. These things are not a huge deal to me as I am not a pro running a saw all day.

I like Stihl products but the price on the ms460 is a little steep, I may end up biting the bullet anyway.

Don't know too much about the husky equivalent in this range but comments would be welcome.

By the way, I will be doing a muffler mod right away and may want the saw ported by a pro. If one of the models responds better to Mods I would be interested in hearing those comments.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Tom

Last edited:
If you have a servicable dealer in the area, I think the Dolmar 7900 is the way to go.

I just bought another one this morning. Actually just got off the phone with my dealer at a outdoors show, and I got the last one at a little discount because it had less than 5 hours demo time on it at the show. I'm on my way in about 10 minutes to pick it up.

The chain tensioner has been updated. The air filter has never been a problem with my other 7900. it is smaller than a Stihl or husky, but it never has been a problem for me. It stays noticablably cleaner than the older stihls (440,460,660, etc).

I used to have a jonsered 2186 (same as a 385xp) It was not the saw that the 7900 is. I sold that and bought the makita verison of the dolmar and haven't looked bad. It is a mean saw for the weight.

In the 75-80cc class, you pretty much have a choice between the 460, 7900, husky 372xp (if you can find any left), 575xp.

I don't have much time behind a 575, so I can't comment accurately how good or bad of a saw it is. The one thing I noticed was the weight over a 372xp.

For the money I would go with a 7900, but if you plan to have it modded, the 372 responds better to mods from my experience. I don't have a pro built 7900, just my own mods. My experience says to leave this saw (7900 stock) with a nice muffler mod.

Freakingstang said:
If you have a servicable dealer in the area, I think the Dolmar 7900 is the way to go.

I just bought another one this morning. Actually just got off the phone with my dealer at a outdoors show, and I got the last one at a little discount because it had less than 5 hours demo time on it at the show. I'm on my way in about 10 minutes to pick it up.

The chain tensioner has been updated. The air filter has never been a problem with my other 7900. it is smaller than a Stihl or husky, but it never has been a problem for me. It stays noticablably cleaner than the older stihls (440,460,660, etc).

I used to have a jonsered 2186 (same as a 385xp) It was not the saw that the 7900 is. I sold that and bought the makita verison of the dolmar and haven't looked bad. It is a mean saw for the weight.

In the 75-80cc class, you pretty much have a choice between the 460, 7900, husky 372xp (if you can find any left), 575xp.

I don't have much time behind a 575, so I can't comment accurately how good or bad of a saw it is. The one thing I noticed was the weight over a 372xp.

For the money I would go with a 7900, but if you plan to have it modded, the 372 responds better to mods from my experience. I don't have a pro built 7900, just my own mods. My experience says to leave this saw (7900 stock) with a nice muffler mod.

Thanks Steve.

My Bias was toward the 7900 and it just got a little stronger based on your comments. I do have a dealer within 10 miles of where I live. I will say though, there are not too many dealers in my area. Some listed on the site have literally no inventory when you call to inquire. What size bar do you run? I don't see a need for me to have anything more than the 24" that is offered as on of the standards.

Tom

depends on the wood I am cutting, but normally I run a 20" to 24" bar. I have had up to a 28" on mine. It probably has the most time with the 24" on it. The dealers around here are the same way. Not many of them carry the complete Dolmar line and don't stock that many parts. THey are getting better, though. I found one that carries evey Dolmar saw and just about every part for one about an hour from me. He is the one that called and asked if I wanted the demo model. He knew I wanted a new one, but I have too many saws now to buy one at full price! lol.

I ran a bunch of 6401's (same chassis, just a smaller cc) for many hours. I didn't have any problems with them. It is becoming my new favorite "big" saw. And the Dolmar 5100 is my favorite "little" saw. With those two saws, I don't really need the others, seriously.

7900, all the way. There is no other saw in that size category or for that price that comes close. It is a goodly bit stronger than a 460 with Dual Port muffler cover and weighs a bit less, too. I have not had any problems with the air filter or chain tensioner. And like Steve, I'm probalby going to pick up another one before too long, too.

Mine wears either a 20" bar (usually) or 28" bar, and usually wears a 7pin rim. It does equally well with either and is capable of pulling full-comp chain on the 28" just fine. Mine is, for the moment, stock with a muffler mod, and is one strong little saw. You will NOT find a better saw for $600-700 new, period.

Dolmar7900Racing.jpg

I just got a husky 385xp couple months ago. The dealer I bought it from also carries dolmar. So I had a chance to handle both saws before buying. I went with the 385 because its got a good air filter set up, much better then the stihls. The design has been around for sometime and it balanced real well. I also had a 066 I ran a 32 on the 385 I also put a 32 on as well. Much better balance. If it is a weight issue its not much in my book to really tell the difference. Compare prices and check with Baileys for a 385 its a great saw in my book. I am glad I bought one. I am a firewood cutter myself. I am thinking of getting rid of some of my smaller saws and just keep this one. Seems real easy on fuel too compared to the 66 I ran. Right now I am running a 20 inch bar and it just slices through white oak like a rabid beaver.
Another thing that changed my mind from the Dolmar was a almost new one setting there needing new AV springs. It had about 8 to 10 tanks through it and already the main spring was broke. Seemed a little light for the job to me.
Later
Bob

computeruser said:
You will NOT find a better saw for $600-700 new, period.

Going price around here with a 20" bar is about 749.00. Seems they went up sometime this year.. But still a good deal, no doubt, compared to other saws in the same class.

Madsaw said:
Another thing that changed my mind from the Dolmar was a almost new one setting there needing new AV springs. It had about 8 to 10 tanks through it and already the main spring was broke. Seemed a little light for the job to me.
Later
Bob

Sorry to hear about the 385 purchase... :laugh: Just kidding.

The springs seem to be the weak point on the saws, but that is one of the reasons these saws are so smooth. The vibes on this saw are really low and it is actually a pleasure to use.

I have had some 6400's that had a lot of time on them and the springs were weak, but not broke. They do wear some with time, but the breakage sounds like someone was man handling the saw. Husky springs can break too, if someone pushes/pulls on them a lot. The amish loggers around here can break the best of saws in a couple weeks from abuse.

To chime in, I bought a 7900 very recently and think it is fun saw to run and great power to weight.

Here's that thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37684

My tensioner is real funky but I am informed that this is not a common problem anymore and replacing it is easy and should fix me up.

It seems to be the saw I reach for now in that size range because of the even power and relatively low weight. The only other thing I think I am noticing is that it seems pretty thirsty. I haven't proven that yet, just seem to be empty pretty fast as compared my other saws. Guess it takes gas to make all that power.

If you were leaning toward the 385 I would wait and buy the 390xp. I will probably get a 390xp myself if they run as smooth as my 395, but it will be a bit of a pig in terms of weight as compared to the 7900. My 395xp with a 36" canon bar is a bit of a back breaker for sure - it is just so damn sweet.

For sure consider the 7900, though. Run one at your dealer and see what you think.

But, you got to look at the over all picture on both the 385 and 7900. The air filters stay so much cleaner then their stihl counterparts. I do not think I went wrong with the 385. I milk cows with old surge milkers for a living , so weight issue is not a problem here. I would have went with a 395 if I had the money, I done a NOS parts trade with eh dealer for most of the cost of the saw. Brand was not a issue with this deal just my preference.
Later
Bob

How does the 7900 balance with 20 and 24" bars, compared to the competition, 460, 441, 372xp, 575xp etc?

(Yes, I know that it has more power than those, but anyway.....)

Madsaw said:
But, you got to look at the over all picture on both the 385 and 7900. The air filters stay so much cleaner then their stihl counterparts. I do not think I went wrong with the 385. I milk cows with old surge milkers for a living , so weight issue is not a problem here. I would have went with a 395 if I had the money, I done a NOS parts trade with eh dealer for most of the cost of the saw. Brand was not a issue with this deal just my preference.
Later
Bob

I agree with some of that. My 395 has been bomb proof and the airfilter says amazing clean as compared to say my 066. It has cut huge amounts of wood and still runs like new. But heavy.

For me the my first impression of the 7900 is that is isn't quite as rugged and together with the fact in my area the single dealer is new and has no stock or parts I would not want the 7900 to be my only saw. But now that I've run mine a bit I do see why some folks like the weight to even power it has. The throttle response even while in a cut is pretty delightful.

SawTroll said:
How does the 7900 balance with 20 and 24" bars, compared to the competition, 460, 441, 372xp, 575xp etc?

(Yes, I know that it has more power than those, but anyway.....)

Pretty much neutral with a solid 20" bar, maybe a hair more weight on the back side. With a 28" the weight is noticeably biased toward the bar. I'd guess a 24" would be about even, perhaps a little bit nose heavy.

The AV springs take a beating when abused, but seem to hold up well when used properly. Most of the HomeDepot rental 6401s have tired springs, but I can only imagine the kind of pulling and tugging and leaning on dull chains that they must have seen. I'd guess that Husqvarna saws put to similar abuse would not fare much differently. Since the springs are so cheap and easy to swap when they do get soft, I'd not bother worrying about them.

Steve, they're really going for $750 in your area? Geez! We've got a dealer who is selling them for $600 or so, which is only $10 more than I paid when I got mine a while back.

I generally do not sell equipment I own. If I buy a duplicate, then I just have a spare. I am selling my 385. I like the 385 and it is a great saw, but I will never use it. When I look on my shelf and have to decide to pick up the 385 or the 7900, not even a seconds worth of thought. Last weekend I went to do a little cutting and was going to take the 385, but I could not force myself to do it. The 385 Ebay listing starts tonight.

I like my 385, I love my 7900.

Jim

B_Turner said:
To chime in, I bought a 7900 very recently and think it is fun saw to run and great power to weight.

Here's that thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37684

My tensioner is real funky but I am informed that this is not a common problem anymore and replacing it is easy and should fix me up.

It seems to be the saw I reach for now in that size range because of the even power and relatively low weight. The only other thing I think I am noticing is that it seems pretty thirsty. I haven't proven that yet, just seem to be empty pretty fast as compared my other saws. Guess it takes gas to make all that power.

For sure consider the 7900, though. Run one at your dealer and see what you think.

I cut a bunch this morning with the new 7900. Strong and fun, but definitely empties the gas tank faster than my other saws. I think tank is around 27 fl oz. It goes through tankfulls more often than I was expecting even with this small tank....Like I said earlier, I guess it takes lots of gas to make lots of power.

dolmar's 6400,7900 are turning heads up here in the northeast,most of the pro loggers around here use husqvarnas,tryed and true
dolmar seems to be a true option other than stihl and husky.
I see a few dolmars in the woods now because we have a dealer nearby.
one of the loggers we work with has a dolmar 7900 and really likes the saw.
in the 80cc class the 7900 is lacking nothing against other saws,its seems to have alot of torque.
I think the 7900 would be great for blocking bigger firewood and chunks,maybe a 5100 for the average to smaller parts you would have a solid combo to cut just about any thing you run across.
oh yeah they sound cool in the woods to,you can tell a"dolmey" is on pipe a mile away!

Latest posts

Back