Looking to start up a business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not one to shoot down a 19 year old's dreams. It's a good thing to have dreams and goals. But nothing is easy in this life. To be a professional at anything and have a profitable business takes a lot of work, dedication and sacrifice. Unless you want to be know as the local hack, you better put some time in learning how to do the work at a professional level. That takes a few years of apprenticeship working under a competent climber/arborist, riding around with the owner learning how to sell and bid jobs, how to advertise, how to manage a crew, how to do the work efficiently and be profitable. It doesn't happen overnight. Before I ever went out on my own I was doing the sales and bidding, climbing and running the whole job from start to finish for someone else.

I'm not one to shoot down a 19 year old's dreams. It's a good thing to have dreams and goals. But nothing is easy in this life. To be a professional at anything and have a profitable business takes a lot of work, dedication and sacrifice. Unless you want to be know as the local hack, you better put some time in learning how to do the work at a professional level. That takes a few years of apprenticeship working under a competent climber/arborist, riding around with the owner learning how to sell and bid jobs, how to advertise, how to manage a crew, how to do the work efficiently and be profitable. It doesn't happen overnight. Before I ever went out on my own I was doing the sales and bidding, climbing and running the whole job from start to finish for someone else.

Thats the ideal way to get in the bussiness.

I agree with Jeffrey and Larry, go for it kid, just learn the right way from a pro, school or in the field, from a pro. They are not hard to find. You can search this topic and you will see that it has been discussed, in depth, many many times. Lots of helpful info. First thing you need to do is figure out if you really want to do this, once your in, its life. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

Had to post, 3 Iowa guys in a row, it is epic

I'm in the similar stiuation as this guy. I have had a tree service on the side for a couple of years now and I have alot of respect for the pros that do this for a living. The risks day in and day out with your health, life, and other peoples property. I would go for it and quit the day job but i couldnt imagine doing this for another twenty five years my body would be shot! Not to mention the costs of running a legit business with equipment and personell is crazy with all of the maintenence, insurance, and equipment costs. The more overhead i take on to be more efficent the more I have to work to make the same amount of money. Im lucky the market is good around here. There is a very well run tree service about thiry miles away from town that is ISA certified and they do an good job. My local competition just likes to flush cut and lions tail everything, drive his skid and bucket truck all over your yard, never rigs anything down, and all he cares about is getting in getting out, and most of all getting your money. (sorry about the rant) I have so much work lined up and not enough time to do it, and im not trying to be arrogant. I make way more money after work then at work but my neck is stuck out alot. I love this line of work. I admit I started as a bucket queen, but thanks to this website I have gotten into climbing and love it! With all of these factors its a really hard decison the leave the day job.

I'm in the similar stiuation as this guy. I have had a tree service on the side for a couple of years now and I have alot of respect for the pros that do this for a living. The risks day in and day out with your health, life, and other peoples property. I would go for it and quit the day job but i couldnt imagine doing this for another twenty five years my body would be shot! Not to mention the costs of running a legit business with equipment and personell is crazy with all of the maintenence, insurance, and equipment costs. The more overhead i take on to be more efficent the more I have to work to make the same amount of money. Im lucky the market is good around here. There is a very well run tree service about thiry miles away from town that is ISA certified and they do an good job. My local competition just likes to flush cut and lions tail everything, drive his skid and bucket truck all over your yard, never rigs anything down, and all he cares about is getting in getting out, and most of all getting your money. (sorry about the rant) I have so much work lined up and not enough time to do it, and im not trying to be arrogant. I make way more money after work then at work but my neck is stuck out alot. I love this line of work. I admit I started as a bucket queen, but thanks to this website I have gotten into climbing and love it! With all of these factors its a really hard decison the leave the day job.

Nothing wrong with bucket trucks its a nice option to have, if im out in the open and can reach the tree i will just use the bucket its faster and i don't have to turn any jobs down because of storm damaged or rotted trees that weren't safe to climb.

Hey Bermie, go #### yourself. You don't need to be an #######. What makes you feel the need to be a douche. I should be able to answer on honest question without getting some #### head response. What are you, 10 years old?

Aw c'mon, is this for real?

I own a pair of pliers, I want to be an electrician, does anybody have any advice?

Tell me you love trees, you are fascinated by their stucture and beauty, you have been reading every book you can find of tree care, ID, pest and disease and climbing and knots. You've been watching professionals at work and are really interested in how they do it, and make it look easy...

THEN come back and ask for some advice.

Hey Bermie, go #### yourself. You don't need to be an #######. What makes you feel the need to be a douche. I should be able to answer on honest question without getting some #### head response. What are you, 10 years old?

Well: Bermie is actually trying to give you good advice and she is a well accomplished arborist. Obviously she got your dander up but the truth is we don't need uninformed, untrained, unqualified tree services there is already too many. Do yourself a favor and get a job doing it with a certified arborist to see if you have what it takes.

Well: Bermie is actually trying to give you good advice and she is a well accomplished arborist. Obviously she got your dander up but the truth is we don't need uninformed, untrained, unqualified tree services there is already too many. Do yourself a favor and get a job doing it with a certified arborist to see if you have what it takes.

Dang Rope!, They won't let me rep you!
Jeff

I got him for you, Jeff.

Cbush314,

You need to learn a whole lot before you start bashing anybody here on AS. First off, this should be in the 101 section. Maybe you just don't read so well. If that is the case, you will really have a poor chance of surviving the learning curve. There really isn't any difference between your first post and her post, except she knew just how clueless hers was. If you were offended by her reply, well, that is pretty much how most of us felt about your post. Like Rope said, she runs a very good tree service in Bermuda and is one of those ' go to' climbers that can do the tough jobs nobody else wants. She is one of the few members here, that I read carefully, because SHE KNOWS what she is talking about. She is also one the few that actually is certified as an instructor on chainsaws.

As for your origional question....... try getting 60' up in a 75' tree with the wind blowing and rocking the tree around, now try trimming a few limbs with a handsaw and practice tying a line around the tree using different knots each time, and tying them CORRECTLY! When you can do that without your heart pounding in your chest, then you might be ready to LEARN how to climb. Let me know IF you get to that point.
Rick

What he said, so be nice Cbush. Scratch all the first things that you were told, after that blow up, the first thing you need to do is get thicker skin, if Bermie, as sweet as she is, got under your skin with that!, then you will have a long road ahead of you, run while you can.

if you cant handle that little bit of sarcasm over the internet how are you going to make it in tree work in real life (a lot of tree guys are not nice people when the job is rollin), whether it is a climber, owner, experienced ground man or whatever.

this reminds me of a time one of the morons I work with said "look at that big dead branch over the street, it must have been dead for a long time it doesn't even have any bark left on it." (12-14" limb no bark and wood was sun bleached out) so I replied back wow you should be certified arborist. and he started #####ing and crying for 10 minutes how I always have a smart ass remark for anything he has to say... well you say something stupid I'm replying back with stupid get used to it!

. I love this line of work. I admit I started as a bucket queen, but thanks to this website I have gotten into climbing and love it! With all of these factors its a really hard decison the leave the day job.

if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in you life

Latest posts

Back