Lopi Declaration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Considering a Lopi Declaration insert for my masonry fireplace. Any one here have experience with these? Good or Bad. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not that particular model but I am going on my fourth year with their Endeavor wood stove. The only gripe I have is the paint burnt off rather quickly. Wish they were a more durable enamel but the trade off is they're easy to touch up. The bypass works great and the damper gives you good control of the fire. With seasoned wood the glass stays clean for weeks. Even then only ash begins to build up so it cleans easily. I could go longer but like the glass so clean you can't tell its there. I've found the burn times they listed for my model to be acurateish. Coals enough to restart will be left long after the stated burn time but I'm never around to know when the heat output starts dropping off. It will keep the house above 70° overnight when it's below freezing outside. I would happily recomend Lopi to friends and family.

I've got a Lopi Leyden. I hate it. I'd love to get something that works. Actually, I've got an 80 year old wood/coal burner out in my shop. I love that, but if I were you, I'd get a lot of advice and feedback before you buy a Lopi product. I believed all the good things they said about this stove and I've regretted buying it from day three.:cry:
(Day one was OK, day two was pretty good, but after that I was used to it.)

I've got a Lopi Leyden. I hate it. I'd love to get something that works. Actually, I've got an 80 year old wood/coal burner out in my shop. I love that, but if I were you, I'd get a lot of advice and feedback before you buy a Lopi product. I believed all the good things they said about this stove and I've regretted buying it from day three.:cry:

What has caused you to hate it... you didn't get your whiskers caught in the door did you? :popcorn:

Last edited:
We like our Lopi enough to move it with us more than once. I personally haven't had nor have I met anyone that has had any problems with their lopi wood burners.

IMO It's hard to beat a Lopi.

Owl

Lopi Answer

We've been using our Lopi Answer as sole heat for about 8 years. It's a good unit, throws lots of heat and looks great.

I would think a Lopi (Travis Industries) insert would be a great product as well.

Rob

:monkey:

Burning green wood and a bad draft seem to me to be the only reasons for a poorly functioning (EPA rated) stove.

We love our Lopi Endeavor. It is our sole source of heat for about 6 months every year. The paint does lack some stay power, but is easy to retouch. Paint does not have any effect on function. And our stove flat puts out the heat with anything you put in it.

Im going on my third year with my Lopi Answer and my only complaint is it's a little small but it's all the bigger that would fit in my fireplace. The stove has proven itself very durable as it dosen't look much different than when it was installed and I run it 24-7 4-5 months per season.

I've had a Lopi Freedom insert for 7 years. It has always worked great. My paint looks the same as when it was purchased. Only thing I've ever had to do is replace an occasional cracked fire brick.

I started with the Answer and after a couple years replaced it with the Endeavor (Answer was a little small but my wife liked the looks).

I love the Endeavor, had it for a year now with no problems, easy to use and burn time within specs.

A friend of mind has the lopi freedom he loves it and thats is why I got the lopi republic. The only thing I wish is I had got one size bigger.

Declaration

I've had a Delaration for one winter (3 cords)....works good. bob

http:///www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33202/

OK, to answer why I don't like my Lopi:
1. I liked the top-loading feature, but the handle was solid metal, and so close to the stove, that you couldn't open it without gloves.

2. Little draft control. There is a lever at the bottom for draft control, but it seems to do almost no good. I suppose it's possible that it's broken or not attached, but I bought it brand new 2 years ago, and it's never seemed to do much.

3. The literature claimed up to 12-hour burn times, but I was never able to get more than 5-6 hours, and that was with large pieces of seasoned hardwood and everything properly set.

4. The ash pan was rather annoying to work with, but it did the job, whenever the ash managed to get in there. I really like my antique stove where the ashes sift down into the ash compartment quite easily, and I can empty the ashes while it's still burning. Not so with the Leyden. I have to let the fire die out in order to empty the ashes, and very few of them even make it down to the ash pan, but then I guess this is a normal thing on a lot of stoves today.

5. The porcelain bricks inside were very pretty, but didn't last long. Some needed replacement after only one season, and now that I've burned two seasons, they're in really rough shape.

6. There is a feature that causes the bottom of the wood to burn when you turn a certain lever (this supposedly helps with the longer burn times). I've had to continually adjust the screws on this lever in order to make sure that it locks in the proper position or else it would just flip back to the other position as soon as I let go of it.

So there you have it. Maybe I'm just being picky, but that's why I don't like my Lopi stove.

Oh, and yes, I did get my moustache caught in it once - I was loading it with wood when I turned back to grab another armful, I noticed the top-loading door had closed on one side of my 'stache, and burned a good 18 inches off. I had to trim off another 4 inches just to get all the singed hairs out, which meant I had to also trim that much off the other side. I cried for a week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back