Lopper Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzgator

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
lopper.jpg

This has cut well and easy for almost ten years and now it won't. New springs and sharp. Someone mentioned you have to be very careful sharpening them or you will lose the "bite" of the bypass?

take a careful look at the blades as they close together they must ride each others edge. I can't see the blades themselves due to the shadows. IF the blade side looks kinda like a parrots beak that has to sharpened at apx 30deg from the face of the plate one side only. burr must be removed by stone polishing. the other half with the deep gullet has to ground on the inside radius until there is no perseptable wear mark left from the parrot blade and a agin stoned to remove burr. The movable blade ( parrot) has to be sharpened like a razor blade edge. it must be thin enough and long enought to slice through branches. too fast a rise from the edge will leave you cussing. Not the best desciption I guess- been doing this stuff for more than 30 years. Even then I do not allways get right onthe first try.

take a careful look at the blades as they close together they must ride each others edge. I can't see the blades themselves due to the shadows. IF the blade side looks kinda like a parrots beak that has to sharpened at apx 30deg from the face of the plate one side only. burr must be removed by stone polishing. the other half with the deep gullet has to ground on the inside radius until there is no perseptable wear mark left from the parrot blade and a agin stoned to remove burr. The movable blade ( parrot) has to be sharpened like a razor blade edge. it must be thin enough and long enought to slice through branches. too fast a rise from the edge will leave you cussing. Not the best desciption I guess- been doing this stuff for more than 30 years. Even then I do not allways get right onthe first try.
Thank you. Turns out I had the rope backwards. Geez.

Latest posts

Back