Losing Our Local STIHL Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On another thread, Canguy21 mentioned businesses that sell chainsaws and other equipment as often considering the chainsaw line a nuisance that they would rather not deal with. That seems to have always been the case with our local STIHL dealer in Hamilton, Alabama. I've purchased a few Stihl items from them over the last year, but by far their focus has always been on selling thousands of dollars of building supplies and hardware to local contractors.

As of last week, they dropped the STIHL line and got rid of every piece of anything that said STIHL (even oils and lubes). The fellow who was the "Stihl Guy" there told me it was just such an enormous headache carrying the Stihl line that they didn't have the time or manpower to handle it anymore. Said that for the hassle involved, the Stihl line was not profitable. I'll bet they won't carry any make of chainsaws in the future. That's the trend with most businesses around here who used to really feature their saws and service (that goes for any brand, not just Stihl).

All this really means is that big box building supply stores probably should not try to compete with everyone on every item. People who spend Stihl type money want Stihl type service and they aren't going to get that at a huge store that employs high school kids.
John..........

Here is an observation along those same lines. It seems that dealers that really promote Stihl products as a primary focus, do very well. Stihl provides a lot of resources but also imposes pretty strict requirements. If Stihl power equipment on your primary lines, it works very well.

If, on the other hand, a dealer just handles Stihl as another product, it appears to be a hassle in comparison to other products that just walk in and out the door with little service or support. I think that is why we will never see Stihl in Home Depot or Lowes -- they couldn't and/or wouldn't meet the retailer requirements imposed by Stihl.

Stihl has developed a business model that works for them. As the saying goes, you're either with'em or you're against'em.

While this doesn't change anything, I might clarify that our Stihl dealer isn't exactly a big box store. They are an independent hardward and building supply store with adult, permanent staff. Still, they did carry Stihl as a side item rather than a main focus as FWF suggests.

My closest Stihl dealer primarily sells motorcycles and ATVs. They used to also sell John Deere, but just dropped that line (hopefully Stihl won't be next).

The two next closest dealers are both small engine shops. Perhaps thier type of shop is a better fit with the Stihl product line and service needs.

Yes, since I have moved, and am looking for a new job,the stihl dealers vary greatly.
The hardware stores that sell the product, view it as another product, like nuts or
bolts, which stihl is a bigger pain in that perspective.
Of course, in my looking for a job, i have put down arboristsite as a reference, which
has backfired. Someone here does not like me. It may be one of the several hundred moderators, since i have pissed all of them off at least once.
I really do not need a job, but always am looking for a good slow job.

Latest posts

Back