Losing tools, and my mind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I try to keep everything in its place. Usually once a project is finished, I go around and pic up all the tools, throw out the empty boxes and put everything back in its place. It usually takes a wasted day of looking for something to put me in the cleaning mood, but it does happen. Losing something right in front of me seems to be my biggest problem. Just used a wrench and cant find it. Knowing I havent even taken one step from where I used it last. Usually turns out I laid it down when I went to get a cup of coffee. Will find it right beside the coffee maker, of course I didnt leave it there, it somehow walked over there on its own.

Oh, those allen wrenchs where right beside the saw all the time, plain sight, that happens a lot too.

The cup of coffee trip is where I lose my stuff, too. That or beer, depends on whether it is pre-noon or post-noon. I lost my favorite pocket-knife Friday. No beer or coffee involved. Somewhere between work and home it magically disappeared. :(

Lock the box. Kids have zero respect for expensive hard earned tools.

probably true!, as u say. but even if he had zero respect for the tool cut off... at least he had a new respect for it after he had to pay for it!! ;) a snap-on wrench single can easily run $30-45.00. I was quoted $42 for a short open/closed 5/8" size snap on wrench. at Wal-Mart an entire set to include same size: $9.95!! but I wish the story had told us how the son had cut the wrench off?.... torch, hack saw... cut off wheel?....

Lost my cell phone Monday. Blowed a hyd hose on a piece of equipment. I try to keep enough assorted hoses on hand just for these moments. While I was digging the hose out of the bin, I noticed papers in my shirt pocket fell to the ground. Well I dug the hose out and then picked up the papers and put them back in my pocket. Put new hose on and finished the job. Ran about 10 miles down the track and then noticed my phone was missing. I searched the cab of the machine out and thought Oh crap, that phone is buried under tons of rock. Well, we put our equipment up and I asked my other operator if he had seen my phone in the cab of his machine. Nope, well give it a ring just encase. I heard the phone ring, when it fell out of my pocket it fell into the hose basket on the back of the machine, sometimes you just get lucky I guess

OH My GAWD, thing around here is it is with the biskets
wood-biscuits-csbiscuits

I had bought a box of these and used them for that project and put the rest away. About a month later I wanted some again. 4 years later I found that box after I had bought new for the project 4 years earlier. I have a cabinet in the shop high on the wall where I put seldom used stuff certain roter bits hand pruning saw, and such.

I recently (oct.) tore down My Jonsered 2159 to install a new chain oil wheel. I put every thing in a clear plastic jar I keep around for these projects put a strip of tape on it and labeled what the stuff was for. The wheel arrived mid Nov, but I was busy deer hunting so it went in that jar till I could get back to the saw. Come January 2016 and I am ready to put the saw back together. I find every thing in that jar to do the job except the inter side plate that goes over the oiler wheel. I looked and looked for that side plate and even removed every thing from under the bench thinking I may have dropped it under there. Finally said screw it, I have other saws to use so I put the saw under the bench on the first shelf. Every crappy day I would go thru my tool boxes and look for that part. About 2 weeks ago I am sharpening chains I had dulled and hung on a peg board hook. I get to the last one and, stop scratch my head and say, self what is that thing and where did it come from? It is the side plate for the 2159 hanging right there in plain sight on the peg board. My wife knows better than mess with my shop do no even think of getting a tool from my box. I bought both my daughter (first) and son (later)tool boxes put basic screw drivers, pliers, channel locks, vice grip,s combo wrenches, crescent wrenches and 3/8 socket set, a set of drifts and chisels and bald peen hammer. That was their tools to use and if that was not good enough they were to ask me to help do the project with my tools. They were good about it and as far as I know never did use my tools for fear of getting their head ripped off and me spitting down their neck.
Also My wife knows I some times will leave small tools and screws, pins and even hoses and bolts in my pockets, she cleans out my pockets and puts that stuff in a coffee can she keeps by the washer and will tell me there is stuff in there and raise holy *ell about finding that stuff and I had better do a better job of cleaning my pockets or I will have to buy a washer and do my own laundry in the shop.

The shop is booby trapped she says she has learned so well to stay out.

:D Al

My wife had me drop-off a magazine (Tupperware, or some such) to my daughter-in-law a while back... I spotted my son azz-up in his car.
I walked over to see what he was doing... it was pretty obvious he was looking for something using the flashlight app on his cell phone.

Hey kid.
Hi dad.
Wat'cha lookin' for??
My cell phone.

I started to say something... then changed my mind... walked in his house, handed his wife the magazine, opened one of his beers, and sat down at the table to wait.
When he walked in the house I started laughing... and that little $h!t flipped me off‼

My wife had me drop-off a magazine (Tupperware, or some such) to my daughter-in-law a while back... I spotted my son azz-up in his car.
I walked over to see what he was doing... it was pretty obvious he was looking for something using the flashlight app on his cell phone.

Hey kid.
Hi dad.
Wat'cha lookin' for??
My cell phone.

I started to say something... then changed my mind... walked in his house, handed his wife the magazine, opened one of his beers, and sat down at the table to wait.
When he walked in the house I started laughing... and that little $h!t flipped me off‼
like father,,like son???? :laughing::laughing::yes:

Latest posts

Back