Lost my Dad, lets share the "Firewood words of wisdom" that Dad passed on to you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry to hear about your dad. I can't imagine losing my dad. Don't do much without seeking his advice on it in one way or another.

My dad cut with a crosscut on the farm when he was a kid in the early depression. He hated it, gramps died and grammaw moved to the city, couldn't run the farm. Dad only recalls hard work, no money, poverty, etc. Not good times.

So years later he and mom get married, they have kids, I am the oldest. We are living in a house with a fireplace. he had self taught himself electronics after his stint in the war, then went to tech school, and got into computers in the 50s and started making money.

He bought cut and split nice fruitwood, delivered. That's what we burned, apple, cherry, pear wood, etc. That's the tip, one way to do it anyway, just mjake enough money to buy it. He wanted to go fishing on the weekends, not go cutting.

I am the first one in the family to own and run chainsaws. And I started with a hand powered bowsaw.

I enjoy it though, really. I could use propane..meh..no soul to it! No fun! Always liked burnhing wood. ME, I don't care, could be a millionaire (sure ain't) and I would still cut and split my own wood. My tip..get a fiskars! hahahaha!

Sorry about your dad man, but sounds like you got it together. Mine is still kicking but has alzheimers now, sad.

I love my dad like no other, but as far as advice on manual labor or anything along the lines of firewood work that just wasn't his deal. I was the 15 year old kid changing water pumps in my dad's car because he had no clue! Not to say the old man didn't teach me anything, because he definitely did, we just had very different interests.

Sorry about the loss of your Dad!!!!

Yeah I know where your coming from. My Dad was a railroader. Started when he was 17. Didn't know how to spell "cat" but was the finest man that ever lived. I might be a bit more book smart than he was but I'll never be better......

Very sorry for your loss...my Father means the world to me and at 78 I know it's not going to be long and I cherish every opportunity I can get to spend time w/ him.
When it comes to chainsaws the one thing I'll always remember that he told me...always know where the tip of the bar is and the rest will take care of itself.

My father is a genius, knows everything and can do anything if he chooses to. I wish I could be as smart as him, and as caring. He might drive me nuts, but I love being around him. I will be less of a person when he passes. Almost rather pass first.

Condolences and most of all prayer for you and your family. He taught me how that if I wanted anything in life, that I had to work for it. My dad and I worked hard together, and also played hard together. I just hope I can live up to my dads expectations, and I think I am so far. GOD first, family second, and everything else third. I wish I had more time to spend with my dad right now. I should be able to once I am finished with my apprenticeship. I can honestly say that I couldn't have been raised any better.

I lost my Dad about 11 years ago, and not a day goes by I don't wish he was still around. My condolences to you and your family and friends. Life will not be the same, but it goes on.

Dad taught me most of what I know about cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning wood. I don't remember any special bits of information, just good solid advice. Oh, and from back in my wilder days, that the later you stay out, the earlier we go to the woods. I REALLY wish I'd paid more attention to the stacking part, it's taken me this long to get halfway close to as good as he was, and only half as fast. Of course, he had 70+ years of practice. Maybe in 30 odd years I'll be that good at it.

My Dad help me split wood until his death at ninety. He drove me crazy with his "too big" comments after ever split of the round...miss him though:msp_smile:

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad I lost my Dad just before last Christmas

My Dad always said watch out for the little things; they will bit you in the a$$ every time

Sorry for your loss.

Think of mine 'bout everyday, he's been gone near 20 years now.

"Any wood beats trying to burn snowballs"

Dad always said;

"don't worry about the loudmouth, worry about the quiet one"

very sorry for your loss. my dad taught me patience. i didnt catch on too well till i hit somewhere near 40 years old. thankfully he is still around

Things my Dad taught me:
  • You can do anything if you get good instructions and follow them.
  • Getting good instructions is the hardest thing you can do.
  • Always ask a manager.
  • Act like a manager.
  • Clear desk = Clear Mind.
  • Always have something to write on and something to write with.
  • Hang it back up where you found it.
  • There is a lot of old timers in this town.
  • If you borrow money, expect to pay for it twice.
  • If you procrastinate for two days, tomarrow is yesterday.
  • Keep your windshield clean.
  • Have a knife, tow strap, jumper cables, Stirke Anywheres, and a roll of toilet paper in a ziploc bag.
  • Go ask your Mom.

Hard reading all these stories without getting a lump in my throat. I'm one of the fortunate ones: my Dad is still alive and, at 73 is cutting and handsplitting around 10 cords a year.

A few things he taught me about cutting wood:

- Be a good steward of the woods. It's simple to get the "easy" stuff, and toss all the tops and gnarly stuff away. But that might mean you have to kill another tree, that might serve you better in another year or so.

- As he was bucking logs and I was feeding: You watch my hands and I'll watch yours, and we will never have a problem. And we never had.

-Lastly: Never apologize for working hard and for using your God given strengths and talents to provide for yourself and your family.

Sorry to hear your dad passed, but other than your family you will get the next best support right here on AS,thankfully i still have my dad but i've seen the support passed around in here there are GREAT people here. Prayers to you are yours:cheers:

Latest posts

Back