Lost my Dad, lets share the "Firewood words of wisdom" that Dad passed on to you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How ya gettin' along, CW? I think about my Dad every day, but even more this time of year.

Still have the sad times when I just wish I could have someone to talk too and have them listen like he would. I still haven't put his tools away in the shop. Kinda like I don't want to let go I guess. I got his chainsaw up and running a few weeks ago. That Man worked HARD to cut the 7-8 cords of wood that kept me warm as a kid with that thing! We have it easy with the new saws we get to use.

I do smile when I find something that he gave me or taught me.

I have spent a lot of time working with my Sister through all this cleaning up his estate. Been nice to get to know her better as an adult. We had drifted pretty far apart after she married an idiot the first time around. She now has a nice family and good 2nd husband and I am proud of her.

Anyway, Thanks for asking!

Still have the sad times when I just wish I could have someone to talk too and have them listen like he would. I still haven't put his tools away in the shop. Kinda like I don't want to let go I guess. I got his chainsaw up and running a few weeks ago. That Man worked HARD to cut the 7-8 cords of wood that kept me warm as a kid with that thing! We have it easy with the new saws we get to use.

I do smile when I find something that he gave me or taught me.

I have spent a lot of time working with my Sister through all this cleaning up his estate. Been nice to get to know her better as an adult. We had drifted pretty far apart after she married an idiot the first time around. She now has a nice family and good 2nd husband and I am proud of her.

Anyway, Thanks for asking!

I hear ya

I find the time I spend cutting firewood alone helps me alot; it feels like he out there with me

I still haven't done much with his other saw's other than his 310

loosing family

Sorry for the loss of your father

My Dad was a quiet man he loved all four of us kids as evenly as possible. He did not seem to play any favorites, although my brother needed a lot of his attention as a child he went through a lot of surgeries for birth defects. The times I learned from my dad were when I was quiet and he had a chance to talk. He did not own a chainsaw or teach me about firewood, however; I used to love to get up in the morning when we were camping to the smell of bacon and a warm fire. He was a humble honest man. I got to live with him alone from junior high to age 21 when I went into the military. After five years nine months and 23 days I left the Air Force and went back to live with Dad for two more years. He died on 7-7-1997 in Kansas City Missouri. My Dad has been gone for fifteen and one half years. I still miss him and think about him. Today my favorite aunt is at the point of passing away she is my Dad’s baby sister.

Sorry to hear about your dad passing, CW.

Going to see mine on the other coast (CT) for the Holiday. I am sneaking a spare bag of gear so I can climb some trees and prune a little while on the old family property (lots of big trees there).

As a kid, he taught me about trees, including planting, pruning, and felling them. He didn't "climb", exactly, but would use a ladder to put a rope in and then have us pull it over. Early on, he just used an ax and a cross-cut saw; didn't buy a chain saw until about 1974 -- which we used to build a small log cabin with in MA.

I guess what he taught me is to work through a little sweat and pain, and work hard. He was into having a sound mind and body, even though he could have easily paid other people to clear trees or get his firewood. He taught me that if you do it yourself, you own it, whether the results are good or bad.

I get to go back and clear up some trees that we planted together in the 60's and 70's that went over with Sandy.

On the downside, I have to sneak around to climb any trees, because he forbids it (old person worry syndrome). It is kind of a game -- he usually finds out, and then insists on paying me something and to promise not to do it again :msp_biggrin:

Cool thread -- here's to D:cheers:ads!!

Back