Lost My Wood Gathering Partner Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
First off NO one died. Here is the story. Today my wife and I both on vacation were hauling in some split oak from a farmers pasture to our field beside our house. We hauled three loads total in my spreader trailer. I was unloading from the side and she was pulling splits off the back of the trailer. We were just into our second load and I heard a scream pitched high enough to break a glass. I turn around from the stack and she is halfway to the house still chirping (She runs really well for a lady her age.). When she finally slowed down I asked her what the heck was going on. One word in the form of a scream "SNAKE". Well judging by her reaction I though that I would find a 5 ft bull snake or something of that size. I proceed to unload the trailer and right up toward the front of the spreader was my prey. I would be shocked if that little garter snake would have taken up 6 inches on a ruler. I caught the little rascal and dismissed him to our hayfield. Finish stacking the wood that I had threw out and headed back out for the last load. Well now the misses is turning every split 3 or 4 times to make sure there isn't a snake hanging on the under side. That darn little snake, at least for the time being, has ruined the best wood gather that I have ever had. With a little counseling I am confident she will come around shortly. So went my day!

I don't blame her, it don't take much of a snake to kill me a couple of times over! They just ain't right!! You couldn't hold a gun to me and get me work in the brush with snakes around.:msp_w00t:

I agree with your wife I cant stand snakes no matter what size.:help:

My Mrs. has absolutely no fear of snakes. We find a lot of big garter's in the wood piles. Just don't let her spot a spider, even a dead one. She's outta there. I don't give either of them much thought.

Just wait till a mouse runs up her pant leg, up her back under her jacket, out at the collar then jumps off her shoulder and across the woods. That one takes a lot of corrective counseling. It was almost as much fun as when she was in the truck bed adjusting the offload spout on a combine and three mice were the first things to come out when I turned the auger on.

Reptiles, rodents and arachnids send my wife in a panic also… with snakes, rats and bats being the worst, followed closely by mice, spiders and lizards. I’ve come home from work and found her sitting on top of the dinning room table because she saw a mouse… she’d been there for hours waiting for me to get home.

Personally I don’t get that “creeped-out” feeling from any of them…
I read somewhere that the near universal fear of snakes in the western world is a result of our culture… our religious culture. Most of us learned at a very young and impressionable age that Satan took the shape of a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve. Because of these early teachings we subconsciously believe the snake is “evil” incarnate… the fear of snakes is really kind’a silly, yet a vast majority of western world people (men and women) feel it strongly, and psychologist say it is one of the most difficult “fears” to overcome.

Just sayin’.

Reptiles, rodents and arachnids send my wife in a panic also… with snakes, rats and bats being the worst, followed closely by mice, spiders and lizards. I’ve come home from work and found her sitting on top of the dinning room table because she saw a mouse… she’d been there for hours waiting for me to get home.

I read somewhere that the near universal fear of snakes in the western world is a result of our culture… our religious culture. Most of us learned at a very young and impressionable age that Satan took the shape of a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve. Because of these early teachings we subconsciously believe the snake is “evil” incarnate… the fear of snakes is really kind’a silly, yet a vast majority of western world people (men and women) feel it strongly, and psychologist say it is one of the most difficult “fears” to overcome.

Just sayin’.

Not sure about the scientific reasoning behind it, I just know that the sight of a snake will cause me to lift my bloomers over my head and run screaming like a little girl:waaaht::waaaht:

Just sayin’.

My ancestors are from, "The Old Country," (Czechoslovakia). This is technically also Western Culture. They believe a snake in a dream to them means one has an enemy. If a bird tries to fly through a window, lookout.

Some thing humourous from the survival manual I mentioned in an above post; that manual was written by two brothers, U.S. Naval Officers, because in maneuvers on the Philipines during WW II, we found our boys had little faculty and no training in Jungle survival. Guys were dropping dead when they got isolated and ran out of ration in the midst of nature's bounty.

To paraphrase a passage on snake identification from the survival manual, this is how it read; "Upon close examination there are subtle differences between many poisionous and non-poisonous types of snakes, but who wants to get down there and find out?"

Haha!

My daughter can find snakes everywhere she likes them and has to show me them.:msp_scared:

Me, I love snakes. Those little garters and rat snakes are your friends in disguise, fellas. They eat pesky insects and small rodents. Whenever I find a snake, I TAKE it to the garden. I'll never kill one.

Spiders do the same for insects. Now, I'll kill any web making spider I find in the house, but nothing gives me more joy than to see a huge yellow and black garden spider on its gorgeous web between two corn stalks. Those little wolf spiders are fantastic hunters, too. I just discovered they shine when you catch one in the beam of a flashlight. I even leave paper wasp nests alone if they're not bothering me. They eat lots of insects as well. I have had to kill a few that were inconvenient.

I love bats, too. I wanna put up bat boxes to attract more of them. They love Corn Borer moths and other pesky insects. Contrary to belief, they aren't so hot on mosquitoes - just too small to make a good meal. They'll take 'em, but prefer larger insects.

My wife does not have the same opinions. She gets rather upset when I show her the latest snake that I'm gonna release in the garden. She asked me if I wanted her to move out when I mentioned bat boxes. We do agree on hating mice, but I go after them while she runs from them.

Garden Goddess tolerates snakes, but spiders and bugs give her the buckwheats. Me, I don't care, they are all cool in their place. If I find spiders in the house I just catch them and put them outside.

Last place we lived had a lot of copperheads, i killed one in the garden and afterwards felt so bad about it, I caught the next one and used it for an excuse to go jeeping and just hauled it way back up into the national forest.

Around here now, with cats, they keep the rodents down enough. and we have black or king snakes all over, whoppers, I like those guys.

Back