Lost some Friends today over Firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1969cj-5

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About 2 1/2 years ago I went out on a limb. I asked a local logging company if I could make a deal for their cull logs. After meeting with the owner He promised to keep me in more firewood than I could handle for free. I would be doing him a favor by keeping his lot clear. I cut the logs, and they would load them in the trailer for me with the crane on the log truck. I have been cutting, splitting and selling 6 or so cords a year until this summer. The company moved it's log lot a couple of miles in the other direction to a leased property. I was still allowed to cut wood on the new lot. I was zipping logs into nice 18 inch rounds when the property owner comes by. When he learned my name he told me that the owner of the logging company highly recommended me for cleaning up the wood. The property owner has a couple hundred acres where they harvested Red Oak, White Oak, Hickory and some Black Walnut about three years ago. He asked if I would like to harvest the tree tops to help him clear them from his Timber. Win for me because there is more wood in the treetops than I know what to do with, much of it 24" caliber and better and all of it perfectly seasoned. I am allowed to use the new loader in the log lot to load firewood. I am on track to do 15 cords before Christmas with one Stihl Saw and a borrowed 27 ton Swisher Log Splitter. I have sold 6 Cords and given away three to a family with their Dad in the ICU.

All Summer long some of my friends have asked every few weeks what I charge per cord. $150.00 per Cord plus $50.00 for delivery and stacking, so $400.00 for two cords cut, split and delivered. 2 weeks ago they asked me for a rock bottom good friend price for 2 cords. They have helped me with a couple of projects in the past so I told the that rock bottom I could go with $250.00 for two cords. They did not like that price and said it was too steep. I offered to trade them the two cords for a bottle calf (they have 17), they said no. I then offered to let the come to my Farm where I store the processed firewood, I told them they could take/cut all they wanted from my ugly pile for free. This would be doing me and them a favor. This morning I got a call from them. They said "we know you get your firewood for free (which I do) and asked can a good friend get the directions so they could get some firewood for free as well.

I told them that would not fly because the deal I have with the landowner is exclusive (his request). I offered to sell them a trailer load of unprocessed logs for $150.00 and they got mad. I do not like to lose friends! So I went and cut two cords worth of logs (Red Oak big caliber), loaded them with the loader, and went to drop them at their house for free (keeping the peace and our friendship intact). I was told by the Lady of the house that Her and Her Husband did not need Charity, or my firewood (They asked for Charity when they asked for the first discount) and that was all they ever needed to say to me again. In other words "Get off my Lawn!"

They threw our friendship out based on $250.00 worth of discounted firewood. The father in this home brings home 6 figures. The Mother in this house received a 6+ figure inheritance a few years ago. They are not hurting for cash. I do not understand their need to strive for more and more of a better deal. They know that my Firewood sales supplement my Military pay for our Propane, Christmas and Winter supplies.

As a side note, the Family above found out through other sources where my Firewood lot is and who owns it. The Father told me that he knows the Landowner and would make his own deal. The Landowner upon hearing this told me that our deal was exclusive and that he trusted me. He told me I should have never offered the discounted wood in the first place. He said that it didn't matter if he sat next to them in Church on Sunday, that mine was the phone number he would give out if people asked him about cutting Firewood. That made me feel better.

Sounds like you didn't lose any friends, rather a few parasitic acquaintances pretending to be your friends.

A good test of character. You passed with flying colours. Hold your head up and be proud of yourself.

Good job sticking up for yourself. If you dont NO body will!!!

Friends GIVE and TAKE!!.. Not just take, take, take and want to take a little more.

In the past when my phone would ring and it was so & so I wouldn't answer because "He NEEDS something". Well guess what I dont see that number come up on my phone any more!:biggrin:

no concept...

"I know you get your wood for free." This is a lie. Nothing is free including your time, energy, relationships with key individuals and out-of-pocket expenses incurred to go get all that free wood.

It's wrong for him to try to elbow in on your exclusive deal with the logger and land-owner. Of course they want exclusivity: they want their land cleared but they don't want every tom, #### and harry trodding all over it.

This guy basically asking you to work for free which is wrong, the relationships and time you spend are all rolled in to each cord produced. I am a professional accountant, my clients gladly pay my hourly fee for my time and expertise. I am sure your regular customers do as well because they respect the process.

Friends don't ask for a discount, plain and simple. Real friends hook each other up when they can knowing it will come back around. This is an unspoken part of real friendship.

You don't need to be friends with people like that. Their just people that will use you until you get sick of it and tell them no more. What are they going to do with 2 cords? If their that rich I don't think they would heat their house with wood. My occasional burner customers get away with 1 cord a year. I had some lady a couple weeks ago call me for two cords. I think she was over a half an hour away. I usually sell it for $200 plus delivery. I told her $400 with delivery and she was still annoyed at the price.

I'd just tell them..................
attachment.php

"I know you get your wood for free." This is a lie. Nothing is free including your time, energy, relationships with key individuals and out-of-pocket expenses incurred to go get all that free wood....

I was thinking the same thing. Those who have not processed cords of firewood from start to finish usually don't understand how much work it can be. And treetops from a timber harvest are much more difficult to process and haul out of the woods than what I find on the timber landing.

Also, the original "fiends" didn't want $25 off per cord. If "friends" want it for say $50 off per cord, then they want it cheaper than anybody else in the market charges. They didn't want it free, but that heavily discounted price also is charity.

Do yourself a favor and put some distance between you and these folks. I have a business on the side and we do work for friends. My hourly rate on my big machine is 100.00 an hour and for the first 4 hours unless you are my parent or sibling that is gonna be the price. Now I knock alot off after the first 4 hours for lots of circumstances but if they start asking for discounts I rarely give one.

I am doing a digging job next week with the track loader for a widow of a friend of mine. She is paying 100 an hour what she dosent know yet is I am bringing the brush cutter with it and taking care of some problem areas on the farm that she can't manage on her own. In the end she will pay about 40.00 an hour as long as I have the time to finish.

I do lots for folks but not if they demand it.

About 2 1/2 years ago I went out on a limb. I asked a local logging company if I could make a deal for their cull logs. After meeting with the owner He promised to keep me in more firewood than I could handle for free. I would be doing him a favor by keeping his lot clear. I cut the logs, and they would load them in the trailer for me with the crane on the log truck. I have been cutting, splitting and selling 6 or so cords a year until this summer. The company moved it's log lot a couple of miles in the other direction to a leased property. I was still allowed to cut wood on the new lot. I was zipping logs into nice 18 inch rounds when the property owner comes by. When he learned my name he told me that the owner of the logging company highly recommended me for cleaning up the wood. The property owner has a couple hundred acres where they harvested Red Oak, White Oak, Hickory and some Black Walnut about three years ago. He asked if I would like to harvest the tree tops to help him clear them from his Timber. Win for me because there is more wood in the treetops than I know what to do with, much of it 24" caliber and better and all of it perfectly seasoned. I am allowed to use the new loader in the log lot to load firewood. I am on track to do 15 cords before Christmas with one Stihl Saw and a borrowed 27 ton Swisher Log Splitter. I have sold 6 Cords and given away three to a family with their Dad in the ICU.

All Summer long some of my friends have asked every few weeks what I charge per cord. $150.00 per Cord plus $50.00 for delivery and stacking, so $400.00 for two cords cut, split and delivered. 2 weeks ago they asked me for a rock bottom good friend price for 2 cords. They have helped me with a couple of projects in the past so I told the that rock bottom I could go with $250.00 for two cords. They did not like that price and said it was too steep. I offered to trade them the two cords for a bottle calf (they have 17), they said no. I then offered to let the come to my Farm where I store the processed firewood, I told them they could take/cut all they wanted from my ugly pile for free. This would be doing me and them a favor. This morning I got a call from them. They said "we know you get your firewood for free (which I do) and asked can a good friend get the directions so they could get some firewood for free as well.

I told them that would not fly because the deal I have with the landowner is exclusive (his request). I offered to sell them a trailer load of unprocessed logs for $150.00 and they got mad. I do not like to lose friends! So I went and cut two cords worth of logs (Red Oak big caliber), loaded them with the loader, and went to drop them at their house for free (keeping the peace and our friendship intact). I was told by the Lady of the house that Her and Her Husband did not need Charity, or my firewood (They asked for Charity when they asked for the first discount) and that was all they ever needed to say to me again. In other words "Get off my Lawn!"

They threw our friendship out based on $250.00 worth of discounted firewood. The father in this home brings home 6 figures. The Mother in this house received a 6+ figure inheritance a few years ago. They are not hurting for cash. I do not understand their need to strive for more and more of a better deal. They know that my Firewood sales supplement my Military pay for our Propane, Christmas and Winter supplies.

As a side note, the Family above found out through other sources where my Firewood lot is and who owns it. The Father told me that he knows the Landowner and would make his own deal. The Landowner upon hearing this told me that our deal was exclusive and that he trusted me. He told me I should have never offered the discounted wood in the first place. He said that it didn't matter if he sat next to them in Church on Sunday, that mine was the phone number he would give out if people asked him about cutting Firewood. That made me feel better.

No, you didn't.

Some times losing a friend over money is the best thing that ever happens to that "friendship"..

I like firewooding. Have many friends that like to burn too. So i always try to get the friends together to have a "splitting party". Ive got all sorts of tooling for the hobby and all i ever ask for is fuel money for the dump truck. Only my true friends come to "help" ..for me its just an excuse to see them. I could give two chits about the wood or the money...its about the friends that show up for me. I don't worry too much about the ones that dont.

Your former friends sure showed their true colors, first with their wanting the discount. Second with refusing the load of firewood on the grounds that they didn't accept charity. And thirdly, their trying to horn in on your good fortune/firewood supply. With friends like that, who needs enemies!

But, they will try to get back in your good graces so thay can continue on the gravy train in a manor of speaking. Be sure to remind them of their infractions and to "Get the eff off your property"

I do business with friends all the time. I have many good friends in all lines of work and often call on them for different things. I tell them to charge me as they would charge anybody else. I explain that I would have to pay either way and that I would rather pay them. Many times they just ask to trade services, which works just fine for me!

True friends are truly a blessing, and are all too rare. It burns when you find out someone you thought was a friend really wasn't. That burn takes a long time to go away sometimes. It makes you even more thankful for your true friends.

What happened was for the best. Be thankful for that, and don't forget it.

BTW. Sounds like you sure got a good deal going to get firewood. Good for you.

I get my firewood from good friends. Yesterday, I went out and we both cut a bunch of rounds for an old guy, who has had a rough year, to come and pick up. Then I went to another spot and cut a few rounds to bring home--not a full load, but a bit. I help, for free when they need an extra hand, they help me...that's how friends do things.

Latest posts

Back