Lost some Friends today over Firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just move on, you didn't lose much, if anything. A friend would have been out there cutting and splitting with you if they wanted cheap wood.

It takes a donkey to demand something for little or nothing from one of their friends, and a real snake to try and back door you out of your cutting site.

It might not be obvious at first, but you're the winner here. Hang onto the high ground my friend, and thanks for your service.

There is one thing I have learned being in the auto business. If you do it for free you are always busy. If you charge a fair price you will still be busy but also be able to pay your bills! I had a neighbor years ago who locked his keys in his car. He asked If I could help getting the keys out. I informed him that it was 10 below out and the glass was brittle. He would be better calling his dealer to see if they could make a new key for him. He said he was in a hurry and didnt have the time and that he would take the chance if the glass broke. Sure enough the glass broke and nothing was said that day about it. Later in the week he got the glass fixed and brought the bill to my house. He said he would split it with me. I Said it was your choice to do this so it was his bill. He never spoke to me again. I thought he was a friend also.

I'd just tell them..................
attachment.php

+1

Well... other than the fuel and time you spent cutting and moving that wood, it didn't cost real money to learn their true character. Consider it a deal. Imagine how easy life would be if you could simply spend a few bucks to learn who valued you for what you could give them, and who valued you for true friendship. This could have gone much worse. Imagine this scenario: They come to property, cut some wood, get hurt, sue you, sue property owner, sue logging co, you lose source of wood and income, lose friends both real and pretend.

There's an old saying about why people with money continue to have money. I used to work with a guy worth half a million bucks. He'd make his wife clean the snow off his car, get upset when the "free muffler replacement" warranty didn't cover the $3 tailpipe, shop for clothes at Goodwill, and lock his door at Halloween so he wouldn't have to give candy to the "freeloaders." There isn't much benefit to humanity from a guy like that. He didn't really work for a living either although he liked to pretend being in the garage every day made him a blue collar guy. He just didn't understand a working man's life in any way. Such is the way it goes.

Interesting thing about the real friends. A guy calls and says "can you help with my car... I hate to ask because you're busy." He's a friend, so no problem. I fix the car, hang around and catch up for a bit, then say "no charge, happy to help." Which I am. A couple of days later he stops by at work with coffee and a "Thank you." That's more than enough. Later that day I notice $100 hanging out of the center console of the truck. I know who it was. That's more than I would have charged if I was charging. Now I'm going to have to figure a way to get his money back to him without insulting him. Next time he needs a part for the car, I'll bet I just happen to have one hanging around.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't lose any friends, rather a few parasitic acquaintances pretending to be your friends.

A good test of character. You passed with flying colours. Hold your head up and be proud of yourself.

Good O :msp_thumbup:

If they ever are really in need remember this incident and tell them to pound sand. :msp_wink:

Mr. HE:cool:

Well... other than the fuel and time you spent cutting and moving that wood, it didn't cost real money to learn their true character. Consider it a deal. Imagine how easy life would be if you could simply spend a few bucks to learn who valued you for what you could give them, and who valued you for true friendship. This could have gone much worse. Imagine this scenario: They come to property, cut some wood, get hurt, sue you, sue property owner, sue logging co, you lose source of wood and income, lose friends both real and pretend.

There's an old saying about why people with money continue to have money. I used to work with a guy worth half a million bucks. He'd make his wife clean the snow off his car, get upset when the "free muffler replacement" warranty didn't cover the $3 tailpipe, shop for clothes at Goodwill, and lock his door at Halloween so he wouldn't have to give candy to the "freeloaders." There isn't much benefit to humanity from a guy like that. He didn't really work for a living either although he liked to pretend being in the garage every day made him a blue collar guy. He just didn't understand a working man's life in any way. Such is the way it goes.

Interesting thing about the real friends. A guy calls and says "can you help with my car... I hate to ask because you're busy." He's a friend, so no problem. I fix the car, hang around and catch up for a bit, then say "no charge, happy to help." Which I am. A couple of days later he stops by at work with coffee and a "Thank you." That's more than enough. Later that day I notice $100 hanging out of the center console of the truck. I know who it was. That's more than I would have charged if I was charging. Now I'm going to have to figure a way to get his money back to him without insulting him. Next time he needs a part for the car, I'll bet I just happen to have one hanging around.

Well there ya go ladies n gents
theres two lovely fellars right there
respectful thoughtful careing friends
good o yeah

My best friend spent over $10,000 with me last year. He pays the same price everyone else does for my trucking and equipment services. I spent almost that much with him last year buying log loads from him. I pay full price and don't ask for a deal.

People can be incredibly cheap. One of my employees sells wood to supplement his income. He does a couple hundred cords a year. He's constantly getting folks that want would for next to nothing. He offers to allow them to come earn wood if they want it. Split two cords (just split it!!) and he'll give you a cord. He never gets any takers.

Those folks weren't your friends, you didn't lose a thing.

Sounds like they are not friends. forget about good friends. That is not what friends do. You are probably better off losing them, they sound more like mooching losers.

straight!! bunch of chiselers,,and then they would brag to their friends,,how they screwed him.. esp since they contacted the owner of the lot,,to REALLY try and screw him....:dizzy::mad2::mad2:

Your former friends sure showed their true colors, first with their wanting the discount. Second with refusing the load of firewood on the grounds that they didn't accept charity. And thirdly, their trying to horn in on your good fortune/firewood supply. With friends like that, who needs enemies!

But, they will try to get back in your good graces so thay can continue on the gravy train in a manor of speaking. Be sure to remind them of their infractions and to "Get the eff off your property"

very well put,,,and correct...

Split two cords (just split it!!) and he'll give you a cord. He never gets any takers.

Those folks weren't your friends, you didn't lose a thing.

Thats a great deal...just add the cutting, skidding, loading , trucking, splitting, stacking seasoning, loading, delivering, stacking and fueling all of the above and maybe you have the real costs of associated "free firewood"

picking friends

I have a few close friends that have fires like me, I have the saws and trailer splitter ect We all source wood, we all go get it,Only rule ,NO kids. I cut, they load, use my splitter at my place, then take it home to theirs, we all share gas and refreshments, I take one extra load to them as use of my equipment and they are more than happy with that So if 3 of us do a tree they may get 4 loads each, I take 5. this works fine, Also they are all in different skills builder, plumber, tax man, ect My wife and I are techies so we fix their puters free plus parts,at trade, and I never wait for a tradey Things get fixed at my place as soon as I call, free plus materials at trade prices, Its a real good group and the wifes do their thing too. At times there is 8 families involved

I have a few close friends that have fires like me, I have the saws and trailer splitter ect We all source wood, we all go get it,Only rule ,NO kids. I cut, they load, use my splitter at my place, then take it home to theirs, we all share gas and refreshments, I take one extra load to them as use of my equipment and they are more than happy with that So if 3 of us do a tree they may get 4 loads each, I take 5. this works fine, Also they are all in different skills builder, plumber, tax man, ect My wife and I are techies so we fix their puters free plus parts,at trade, and I never wait for a tradey Things get fixed at my place as soon as I call, free plus materials at trade prices, Its a real good group and the wifes do their thing too. At times there is 8 families involved
Makes me proud to be a Kiwi mate.

Back