lots of charcoal in my osburn insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave bain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can anyone tell me why i'm getting lots of charcoal in my osburn fireplace insert. thanks

I am no expert but I believe there are a few factors that affect the amount of charcoal, these include air pressure, draft, type of wood being burned, how well seasoned the wood you are burning is. I find during warmer weather or a rain/snow storm I get more charcoal. Also some woods such as elm, Beech, and oak seem to leave more charcoal. I also think that burning wood that is not properly seasoned leads to more charcoal. Know I don't own an osbourne insert, I have a fisher wood stove and a heritage insert. But these are some of the observations I have made through the years. I am sure some here would know a whole lot more than myself.

TS:cheers:

By the way welcome to the site. Lots of good info to be had here!!!

thanks for the welcome. your right about the wealth of info on here. the poplar was cut in early spring and most of it split at the same time although some was spilt in august so maybe it wasnt seasoned enough. some days i have no charcoal but today was bad and we had high winds so draft wasnt a problem. just have to make sure i season it a bit better. thanks again.

Might not be such a bad thing sift it out and use it in your Weber to cook a nice think steak it will put kingsford to shame!! take care

Back