Lots of questions about footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, what he said.

As far as feeling the total treeguy climbing freedom, and practicing really technical moves, spikes get in the way. Wearing spikes while trying to footlock..... like trying to talk while brushing your teeth.

OK, cool... For a tree that has limbs you can work without spikes but a trunk you need spikes to chunk down wood, would you go spikeless until the spikes are needed? Or just do the whole tree with spikes?

Guys who wear spikes are going to answer that a lot different than the spikeless guys. However, if it is a takedown it really doesn't matter, it is only personal preference. There's really no right or wrong in this instance. If I choose not to wear spikes on a takedown, it's more because I'm wanting to keep my climbing skills honed; I'm seeking a higher level challenge. Spiking is definitely easier.

I would suggest using spikes on any takedown. I think they give a climber a sense of security, plus there's really no reason to make your job any harder than it has to be. You can make it a game; wear your spurs, but see how little you can get by without using them. Sink em in during crux moves, and when you have to make a cut and don't have a limb to stand on.

Priority should be placed on safety, and positioning yourself properly and securely to make the cuts.

I dont wear spikes because they get in my way. If I have to wear them to block down a trunk then normally I will put them on when I need them, not for the whole tree.

I want to get some better pads, my Buc Bucs just aint what I hoped. I want some pads like MB's.:cool:

Lumberjack said:
I dont wear spikes because they get in my way.
If you are a skilled climber, they're simply not necessary. Once you get to a certain confidence level, you can move about much more swiftly and fluidly. If you are a regular spiker, you're somewhat dependent on them to define the level of climber you are.

My biggest fear in this profession would be sticking a spike through my achilles tendon. The thought of that freaks me out.

I will body thrust now and again, just so I can relate when someone speaks of it, but footlocking is so much faster and less energy-intensive and natural.

I use a pantin to FL, is that still FLing?

My biggest fear is spikin my rope, plus the spikes are just uncomfortable and restrict movement of the ankle.

Jumberlack said:
I use a pantin to FL, is that still FLing?
No. Footlocking is a technique where you loop the rope under one foot and over the other, squeezing your feet together to secure a grip on the rope. That is a footlock.

The Pantin comes from the caving world for ascents up out of pits using Single Rope Technique. Most cavers have never heard of footlocking. Treeguys have adapted it to doubled rope technique.

The Pantin is popular with a lot of guys. It's a good piece.

Thanks for all the info on footlocking. I too want to be a better more efficent climber. I do have concerns about spiking my rope. I have spiked my leg once and my rope a few times. I am approching my career with the safest, fastest, and easiest on my body approch as possiable. You guys have help alot.

You said you ascend with dual ascenders, right? I think that's a very good place to start. You can count on them to move up the rope(s) predictably with near zero friction. As well, they will grab the rope and will not slip. They're easy on, easy off and can be backed up for security. You can rest, put your full weight on them, and there's no chance of binding, or locking up once you start back up. They will work exactly the same every single time. You can advance them as far, or as little as you choose. They eliminate a lot of variables, actually all the variables. Since you don't have to futz with ascenders, the way you might with a hitch, your full focus can be on what your feet are doing.

I'd like to see how you have your ascenders rigged. Any way you can kick us down a photo?

Tree Machine said:
The Pantin comes from the caving world for ascents up out of pits using Single Rope Technique. Tree [CLIMBERS]guys have adapted it to doubled rope technique.

The Pantin is popular with a lot of [CLIMBERS]guys.

Petzl develope the Pantin for cavers but they sell more of them in the arbo world now.

Here's a picture of the spring clip that I put on mine. This is much easier to put on and snug up than the buckle that Petzl makes.

basnighttrees said:
Thanks for all the info on footlocking. I too want to be a better more efficent climber. I do have concerns about spiking my rope. I have spiked my leg once and my rope a few times. I am approching my career with the safest, fastest, and easiest on my body approch as possiable. You guys have help alot.

Shot dude, whats the point of hammering your body if you dont have to a.

Jim1NZ said:
Who does footlock with spikes? Bad idea...
Very bad idea. You lose lot of friction. You have to footlock using the front third of your feet, instead of the middle, in your arch. Quite difficult, and you have to point your toes in and heels out to prevent yourself from puncturing the inside of either foot. It can be done, but definitely not recommended.

Back