Love these forearm protectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was bucking a pretty significant pile of logs down in North Cakalacky about 2007 or so. Rolled a log off the pile and uncovered a good sized cotton mouth snake. Pretty upset snake by the look of her, but she was at the other end of the log and headed for the woods instead of towards me.

I went home and made these up for myself before dinner. Since then I still wear them while cutting and find them to be really really nice for stacking wood too. There is no pattern for these. I used my own forearms, while wearing a flannel shirt with the sleeves rollled down plus a little extra on the circumference. I did make them a little too long and then trimmed so they wouldn't chafe with my arm bent. Construction is plain old vegetable tanned cow hide, the thick part around the shoulders- the leather will be very very pale yellow/white when new. Sewn with typical waxed linen thread like a lot of classic leather work. Finish treatment is plain old sweat, though I do spray them down real good with Lexol conditioner when they get stiff.

if you sew the cone too far shut you won't be able to get your hand through...finish closing the tighter part of the cone around your wrist with the snap after you have it on.

I was going to sew these to a pair of gloves, but made a thumb strap instead. Hopefully a picture will be worth a thousand words...

off.JPG

left.JPG

leftobverse.JPG

bentelbow.JPG

i met a guy about a month ago that could have used those. seems he was cutting up tops after a logging job and when he reached down to pull some limbs back there was a not to happy rattlesnake. he was going in for one last surgery to fix some nerve damage on his forearm.

I used a pair of leggings to make similar arm guards for use when climbing in rough barked trees. They had laces that I left on to snug them up.

The black fly is the Maine State bird! They were bad last year, cut myself shaving and nothing but air came out.

Latest posts

Back