Lust For Power...(I hate this place)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Early last spring I wanted to buy a new saw. So I bought a Husky 137 (please no laughing). It actually cuts well with a sharp chain on a 16" bar. And my 96 pound wife likes it too. But there was the coming fall and the winter cutting season ahead, so I knew the 137 simply wasn't going to cut the mustard so to speak. I needed more power.

New saw prices scared me, so I began cruising the internet and found this place, and have rued the day let me tell you. Did more research and thought a 394xp could be found that would cure my itch for screaming cubes. Picked it up off eBay, gave it some tender loving care, and it cuts so fast the bar seems to fall through the wood (got the oiling problem sorted out). But it isn't enough.

I had kept up on eBay looking for a 3120xp and found I was competing with many like-minded souls. In other words; they sold high. I just waited figuring I would find something...eventually. And a deal finally dropped into my lap: on Monday I sent a cashiers check to a fellow forumite for a 3120xp powerhead, and am asking it be sent directly to Washington Pro Saws for a Stage III massage. I hope this will be it. There really isn't anything bigger, or badder, unless of course you consider the Tuutti-Fruity saws. Sorry, I like my saws one color, and under 32 pounds sans bar. It is tough enough wearing snowshoes while cutting, snowshoes and a 090av would kill me. It'd be fun for 20 minutes, then I'd keel over...

So, I am thinking a 28" Cannon running an 3/8" 0.063 on an 8-tooth sprocket for more speed. 50:50 AVgas/regular should give it the spunk. Now I have a few weeks to sweat until my precious arrives until I can talk someone into letting me cut some big wood. {A few locals lasso big logs swept downriver during the breakup}

Anyone have suggestions? Should I keep the 0.404" or go to the 3/8"? Chain recommendations? Virtually all my wood is clean softwood, usually frozen rock-hard and full of sap. Biggest will run 30" or so at the base, but I have cut a few this season built like saguaro cactus, trunks/limbs coming out everywhere, that were a little larger.

You know, if I had never found this place, I would have more money in the bank. Ahhhh well....

The 3/8 will be faster! but the av gas I would run straight (do you add water to your beer?) Sounds like it will be an impressive saw!

You got good taste in saws and rifles. I have an Israeli HB, and an STG58 both built by Gunplumber ARS.
28” bar for a modded 3120 is light work, I think you would have a lot more fun with the 404 chain rather than the 3/8.

Early last spring I wanted to buy a new saw. So I bought a Husky 137 (please no laughing).

You know, if I had never found this place, I would have more money in the bank. Ahhhh well....

LOL! Certainly, these guys can be a bad influence. As for your little saw, I cut lots of small stuff with smaller saws.:chainsaw: They're great for getting the branches out of the way of the big stuff, and don't wear you out.

I was desiring something to cut some big stuff, so started reading here. The UPS man dropped off a package today....:greenchainsaw: ...Stihl 066 Magnum.:) My dilemna seems to be solved, for now.

Echo CS3450 14"
Echo CS346 16"
Stihl MS290 16"
Pro Mac 610 20"
Stihl 066Mag 25"

3120xp

Don't you think a woods ported 3120xp is a little much for firewood?lololol She outta' cut........that's for sure. That 394xp has plenty of power...and lighter.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I think that a stage III 120 cc saw on a 28 inch bar seems like straight CAD. Regardless of chain, you'd have to stand on the saw to be able to load it properly with that short of a bar.

If you hadn't already bought the saw I'd say spend some of your resources on refining chain sharpening. Like get a square grinder and find out what real chain performance is.

My 395 with a 28 inch bar (the shortest bar it ever sees), 8 pin with really sharp chain will blow through wood as fast as I can feed it. And as heavy as it is, it is a toy compared to a 3120 in terms of size and weight.

But then there is the grin factor, which doesn't have to make sense!

And I prefer 3/8 but you will have to push so hard to load that saw it's scary so I think you'd want .404 to keep from popping chains. My wrists hurt just thinking of a day cutting with that setup.

Edit: Double everything I just said if it is post 2001 3120 that's limited to around 9.5k. You won't be able to get it off the limiter with a 28 inch bar and sharp chain without bending the handlebars.

Last edited:
Av Gas

I was talking to an engineer where I work about high octane av gas, and what he said was that high octane for airplane engines at altitude is to prevent detonation, since the pilot may be tuning on the fly by watching the ex gas temp. In a regular motor on the ground high octane burns real slow, so it may burn too slow for a high RPM motor. Now I don't know about all this but it did make sense the way he explained it. He suggested a 50:50 blend to improve the quality of the regular grade fuel if it is really lousy. And I hear it is pretty bad up in Alaska.

Does anyone run E85 in their saws? The octane rating is over 110, and it's even cheaper than regular gasoline. A lot of guys have started running it in their high compression race engines. I know it dries out seals and such, but so does any other high octane "race fuel" - just a different source for the alcohol-corn!

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies.

So it appears I should stick with the .404 and do some research into aggressive chain shapes and also get some info on sharpening. Ok, I can do that. And a longer bar? Hmmm, I can do that too. But it means driving farther upriver to find the really big wood.

Note: I find it oddly relaxing to do the set-up on my Granberg tool and brush the cutters to make sure they are nice and sharp. Maybe it is the ritual?

About the saw, it is my understanding it is not one of the rev-limited saws, it will go the full 12.5k rpm easy.

BlSnelling: I plan on refinishing the plastic on my 394xp like you did on the Stihl in your other post. Excellent job that.

Stihl051master: all fuels are not created equal. Ethanol is a 2-carbon and alcohol (-OH), attached. AVgas is a refined fuel (as virtually all are), that has components to raise the octane rating. Race fuel is similar. I have never done any analysis (I'm a chemist), on race fuel, but the idea is to prevent pre-ignition. Also, E85 doesn't have as much thermal energy as gasoline. You have to burn more to get the same energy output.

B_Turner: Awww come'on! I don't need reality intruding into my personal psychosis sir!:dizzy: Ok, maybe I will admit to uh...a leeetle CAD.

brncreeper: GP is the Michaelangelo of the FAL world! Good on you!

I am starting to get sweaty palms...

B_Turner: Awww come'on! I don't need reality intruding into my personal psychosis sir!:dizzy: Ok, maybe I will admit to uh...a leeetle CAD.

brncreeper: GP is the Michaelangelo of the FAL world! Good on you!

I am starting to get sweaty palms...

Hey don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with power! I have a 3120 and 880 in my quiver myself.

I was just thinking that sometimes focusing on buying stronger equipment early in the game can distract from the harder yet really important stuff like learning to get chains really sharp.

But hey, go for it and have fun. You'll have a big grin going for sure!

Last edited:
Hey don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with power! I have a 3120 and 880 in my quiver myself.

I was just thinking that sometimes focusing on buying stronger equipment early in the game can distract from the harder yet really important stuff like learning to get chains really sharp.

But hey, go for it and have fun. You'll have a big grin going for sure!

I know, I was just attempting some humor. I am sitting here looking at my Bailey's catalog on the coffee table getting ready to begin looking for pamphlets/books on how to make razor sharp chain. I just know I am gonna get cut before all this is over. :)

So Stihl RS or RSLF in .404 with an 8-tooth sprocket on a 28"-32" Cannon.

Last edited:
I know, I was just attempting some humor. I am sitting here looking at my Bailey's catalog on the coffee table getting ready to begin looking for pamphlets/books on how to make razor sharp chain. I just know I am gonna get cut before all this is over. :)

If you are really serious about chain performance then IMO you must get a square grinder and go square. You'll never look back. It'll get you another 15 to 20 percent performance gain on top of any mods.

A good square grinder (I have a Pro Sharp) can do either 3/8 or .404.

If you don't go square, then you'll be frustrated when a sissy (quiet) stocker 3120 like mine will give yours a run for its money because of my sharper chain.

Last edited:

You dont need skip on a saw that big with that small of a bar.

Back