Lusting for a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

After reading so many positive posts about the 7900, and really enjoying my 5100, I am thinking about getting one. My local Dolmar dealer has been very helpful, and I look forward to giving him more business. What is a reasonable street price for the powerhead? Also, they are apparently not available with full wrap bars. Does anyone make aftermarket full wraps for them?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi,

After reading so many positive posts about the 7900, and really enjoying my 5100, I am thinking about getting one. My local Dolmar dealer has been very helpful, and I look forward to giving him more business. What is a reasonable street price for the powerhead? Also, they are apparently not available with full wrap bars. Does anyone make aftermarket full wraps for them?

Thanks,

Ron

Full Wrap Handle PS7900 hate to say coming soon but Ill say it COMING SOON!!

Scott

7900 Full Wraps

Have you heard anything from Dolmar on this, Scott?

I bet they would sell a LOT more of them out here with them available.

Ron

I doubt it...

Gary

Why Would you doubt it?

Have you heard anything from Dolmar on this, Scott?

I bet they would sell a LOT more of them out here with them available.

Ron

The part # is in the system our distributor has them on order from Germany and we have them on order so as soon as they hit my distributor I will have them in STOCK...

Scott

Why Would you doubt it?

Scott

Just me bein' a Stihl snob...:) ...and jerkin' all the Dolmar guys chains.:ices_rofl:

I have yet to see a Dolmar saw or a Dolmar dealer here in the PNW. I know they exist and know of a few guys on here that are around these parts that own them.

On a serious note... If I was gonna buy a new non-Stihl saw... It would be a Dolmar.:rock:

Gary

I wanted a PS-7900 like you do. I found one, bought it and couldn't be more pleased. I got a full wrap for my PS-9010 but don't like it as much as the 3/4 wraps I have on my Stihls. I don't think I'll be getting one ant time soon for the 7900 if it is the same as the one they make for the 9010.

Just me bein' a Stihl snob...:) ...and jerkin' all the Dolmar guys chains.:ices_rofl:

I have yet to see a Dolmar saw or a Dolmar dealer here in the PNW. I know they exist and know of a few guys on here that are around these parts that own them.

On a serious note... If I was gonna buy a new non-Stihl saw... It would be a Dolmar.:rock:

Gary

I was going to jump on you but this post beat me.

Dolmars are a bit funky in some ways, but everyone that has used my 7900 in wood has left with open eyes. Settle down in the cut and pull with a really flat powerband that a 460 or 372 just dreams of. THose are both great and proven saws, but just not the saw the 7900 is in terms of performance (stock). Probably both of them will last longer, though...

I know there is a dealer up in B'ham, but around here the only dealer is pretty much in name only.

In terms of full wrap, somehow I think I prefer the more compact half wrap on my 7900s. I have full wrap on some bigger saws that I like, but for general work I like the extra manuverability of the half. Plus saws fit in my trailer toolbox better....

Last edited:
This is all a shame..............the 5100 & 7900 are great saws backed up by suck ass everything!!!

I should add that this DOES NOT include Cuttinscott or Sedanman. Those are by far the exception..............wish I had those guys in my area!!!

I would image they won't fit retro as the mounting engineering wouldn't be there in the old ones.

I will probably buy another 7900 just to have one before the EPA kills them off eventually, but in the meantime I still haven't quit shaken the 441 bug. I already have a 371 and 2 7900s in that size, but just keep thinking about how smooth and unstinky a 441 with synthetic oil would be for medium trimming where it's power is sufficient.

I would image they won't fit retro as the mounting engineering wouldn't be there in the old ones.

I will probably buy another 7900 just to have one before the EPA kills them off eventually, but in the meantime I still haven't quit shaken the 441 bug. I already have a 371 and 2 7900s in that size, but just keep thinking about how smooth and unstinky a 441 with synthetic oil would be for medium trimming where it's power is sufficient.

Hello Turner.

I want a Dolmar 5100. Could you please tell me the different about this saws. I can think the 7900 is bigger than 5100, and heavyer. Am I right?

Hello Turner.

I want a Dolmar 5100. Could you please tell me the different about this saws. I can think the 7900 is bigger than 5100, and heavyer. Am I right?

The 5100 is much lighter at 50cc and is actually a darn smooth AV. It handles an 18 B/C okay with a sharp chain. I've gotten to like mine fine, although I am still not totally smitten by it (like I am the 7900). The 7900 is at least 3 lbs heavier, and not quite as smooth. But it is a power monster for it's weight and with a sharp chain pulls a 28 inch bar well.

I'll bet for what you do you would like a 5100 well. I wish they had a second dog and I wish they returned to idle a little bit faster after full revs. But I cut with it a bunch today, and it keeps getting a little stronger all the time. For the price here, they are especially a great deal.

Gary

Gary,

I was up at the big Stihl shop in Sedro Woolley, buying a part. One of the sales guys told me that he has been seeing a few more Dolmars around, but it is still a Stihl :laugh: area, with Husky coming in a distant 2nd, fwiw.

The guy I bought my 5100 from operates a VERY small shop. Most Dolmar "dealers" I've called in WA either have no Dolmars in stock at all, or maybe 1 or 2 at best. It seems as though Dolmar is serious about not selling via the internet, so maybe one of the more well established OPE shops around here will pick them up.

The 5100 is much lighter at 50cc and is actually a darn smooth AV. It handles an 18 B/C okay with a sharp chain. I've gotten to like mine fine, although I am still not totally smitten by it (like I am the 7900). The 7900 is at least 3 lbs heavier, and not quite as smooth. But it is a power monster for it's weight and with a sharp chain pulls a 28 inch bar well.

I'll bet for what you do you would like a 5100 well. I wish they had a second dog and I wish they returned to idle a little bit faster after full revs. But I cut with it a bunch today, and it keeps getting a little stronger all the time. For the price here, they are especially a great deal.

For me, the throttle on the 5100 seemed a bit strange after using Stihl and Husky over the years, but you get used to it. I don't have enough time on the saw to make a highly qualified judgement, but so far I've been impressed. We'll see how it holds up. Mine came with a 20" 3/8" bar that it pulls nicely. I have since gotten an 18" bar for it, which I like a bit better

Ron

I hinted to Sam Madsen a few days ago I wished they would carry a few Dolmars, but at this time he hasn't even run one yet. He said to bring mine down next time I am there so he can check it out.

They carry the full Husky and Stihl line so I doubt they would want to complicate their life with Dolmar, but I like them and their prices so I think they would sell alot of 7900s and 5100s given a couple years. Seems like the real commitment is stocking parts and all that, with the accompanying headaches.

Well, I could live with the goofy looking bucking spikes if I could get it with a wrap handle. Hope they aren't bluffing - will be my next saw for sure.

Back